Digital Foundry comments on what DX12 might mean to XboxOne

#1Ramsus082Posted 3/20/2014 12:43:24 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-directx-12-revealed-coming-to-xbox-one

Not an in-depth op-ed by any means, but that's expected considering how little we know regarding the X1's DX12 support. But some interesting observations on how this is really similar to AMD's Mantle, and that there's real CPU performance gains to be had over DX11 for developers. He makes a point to note that with DX12 not to be utilized by games fully until over a year from now, Mantle support in the mean time could fragment(for lack of a better word) PC/PS4/X1 development environments. He doesn't speculate to what degree that would be a headache, or if it even would be, but I thought it was interesting.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#2SnoicFactorPosted 3/20/2014 12:59:15 PM(edited)
I.e. nothing compared to pc's which microsoft conference primarily focused on.
---
nt
#3Ramsus082(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 1:33:58 PM
It probably means easier PC porting to XboxOne, at the very least.
---
#4Ramsus082(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 11:21:53 AM
bump
---
#5AnakeriePosted 3/21/2014 11:23:47 AM
It will mean that the XBox can finally find out the truth about its parents and stop all this endless wandering and searching. They did love you, XBox. They only abandoned you in that White Castle's bathroom because they were about to head into war and it just wasn't safe for you.
---
GT: CrampedSultana PSN: Ana Kerie
Pawn: Zarianna. GO GO LLAMA FORCEFIELD!!
#6BloatedSquirrelPosted 3/21/2014 11:24:55 AM
Anakerie posted...
It will mean that the XBox can finally find out the truth about its parents and stop all this endless wandering and searching. They did love you, XBox. They only abandoned you in that White Castle's bathroom because they were about to head into war and it just wasn't safe for you.

Wtf..... I like it.
---
"What are you pointing the gun at the suitcase for? It's dead already."
#7SoulTrapperPosted 3/21/2014 11:33:40 AM
Up until recently, the future of DirectX was looking dicey - however, DX12 could nullify Mantle's relevance as it appears to do much the same job. Alternatively, if console development continues to dominate and Mantle proves its worth in other areas, we could well be looking at a dual API future, with PC versions based on Mantle derived from PS4 optimisations, alongside DX12 versions designed primarily with Xbox One in mind.

If the second part of their prediction turns out correct, this could lead to two very different versions of the same game on the pc and ps4 on one hand and the xbox one on the other.

2016 is still far away, but if that turns out to be the result, it will be quite interesting times.
#8OreoBoy206Posted 3/21/2014 11:46:16 AM(edited)
I think Mantle on PC will go away once DX12 comes out.. I don't think there's room for them to both coexist considering how much developers hate coding for multiple APIs. The reason I say that Mantle will go away and not DX12 is because Nvidia, Intel and Qualcomm are supporting it with their hardware, whereas only AMD hardware is supported with Mantle..

Things could change down the road but I doubt Nvidia would ever give in to supporting their mains competitors API aka Mantle, they would probably make their own low level API before doing that, which would make things even more complicated for devs...
#9SoulTrapperPosted 3/21/2014 12:03:53 PM
OreoBoy206 posted...
I think Mantle on PC will go away once DX12 comes out.. I don't think there's room for them to both coexist considering how much developers hate coding for multiple APIs. The reason I say that Mantle will go away and not DX12 is because Nvidia, Intel and Qualcomm are supporting it with their hardware, whereas only AMD hardware is supported with Mantle..

Things could change down the road but I doubt Nvidia would ever give in to supporting their mains competitors API aka Mantle, they would probably make their own low level API before doing that, which would make things even more complicated for devs...

That's true, however the ps4 could make use of mantle and seeing as how the install base of the ps4 is most likely going to remain the largest one for quite some time, it would make sense for devs to use an api that makes it easier to port too the console that has the biggest install base.

On top of that, Valve is pushing devs to go openGL as well, with their steam machine (haven't heard anything about those in quite some time though), so they both have their important supporters.

And direct x12 is most likely going to be win8, windows phone and xbox one exclusive.

I don't think either one will go away, but it will be quite interesting to see which way the
#10OreoBoy206Posted 3/21/2014 12:15:10 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...

That's true, however the ps4 could make use of mantle and seeing as how the install base of the ps4 is most likely going to remain the largest one for quite some time, it would make sense for devs to use an api that makes it easier to port too the console that has the biggest install base.

On top of that, Valve is pushing devs to go openGL as well, with their steam machine (haven't heard anything about those in quite some time though), so they both have their important supporters.

And direct x12 is most likely going to be win8, windows phone and xbox one exclusive.

I don't think either one will go away, but it will be quite interesting to see which way the

Valid points but why would devs stick with Mantle when they could just use DX12, which gives you the same low level access as Mantle and works with AMD, Nvidia and Intel hardware on PCs.. They would be killing 3 birds with one stone, instead of having to throw a separate stone for each individual hardware configuration..

It's true that PS4 has the largest user base for a single next gen platform but how big is it compared the XBOX One and PC user base combined? I know people think the PC user base is small but I think they exaggerate how small it is, it's obviously big enough for the majority of devs/publishers to bring games to the PC platform.. I really doubt it's as small as some people make it out to be..