Digital Foundry comments on what DX12 might mean to XboxOne

#21SoulTrapperPosted 3/21/2014 3:33:56 PM
BSerenity posted...

This is why I think DirectX 12 was more towards halting OpenGL and Mantle (PC development) than that of shoring up more power from the XBO. Not a knee jerk reaction to them, but definitely says something when MS recently was touting 11.2 and then after Mantle came into the picture with PC development MS jumps straight to 12. I don't know if this was planned or that Mantle and the push for more OpenGL support started to rub MS the wrong way.

That sounds likely, Microsoft announced it more then a year before it's actually availble and even AMD was surprised by the DX12 news, apparently:

http://tech-beta.slashdot.org/story/13/04/12/1847250/amd-says-there-will-be-no-directx-12-ever

So the odds of this being more of a reaction than something they had been planning for a long time are quite high.

OreoBoy206 posted...
IMO, consoles play a huge role on which version of DirectX will be the foundation of DirectX game development and since the XBOX 360 only made use of DX9, that's the reason we saw small amounts of DX11 games on PC... In fact, most of the DX11 supported games were really DX9 games with a couple DX11 effects added in.. It wasn't until near the end of the life of last gen consoles did we truly see games take full advantage of DX11 on PC (BF4, Crysis 3, etc)

I agree with you that DX12 will most likely be exclusive to Windows 8 or 9.. I was just saying if Mantle was stealing market share away from DX12 because of Windows 7 then no doubt Microsoft would put a end to it by releasing it on Windows 7 later down the road.

Edit- Also, you're right about Mantle being compatible with hardware from other companies but I just don't think Nvidia or Intel ever use a API from both their main competitor which is AMD. They have have a middle man take care of it or make they're own low level API most likely..

I agree,consoles definitely play a big role in this. I think the devs not being bothered to work with something new as well as the console limitations that keep DX11 relatively unused.

They might do that, but they're also quite stubborn (just look at Bing), so it will take sometime.

The odds of Nvidia or Intel creating drivers for Mantle are indeed quite small, they're competitors after all.
#22BSerenityPosted 3/21/2014 3:44:50 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
BSerenity posted...

This is why I think DirectX 12 was more towards halting OpenGL and Mantle (PC development) than that of shoring up more power from the XBO. Not a knee jerk reaction to them, but definitely says something when MS recently was touting 11.2 and then after Mantle came into the picture with PC development MS jumps straight to 12. I don't know if this was planned or that Mantle and the push for more OpenGL support started to rub MS the wrong way.

That sounds likely, Microsoft announced it more then a year before it's actually availble and even AMD was surprised by the DX12 news, apparently:

http://tech-beta.slashdot.org/story/13/04/12/1847250/amd-says-there-will-be-no-directx-12-ever

So the odds of this being more of a reaction than something they had been planning for a long time are quite high.

OreoBoy206 posted...
IMO, consoles play a huge role on which version of DirectX will be the foundation of DirectX game development and since the XBOX 360 only made use of DX9, that's the reason we saw small amounts of DX11 games on PC... In fact, most of the DX11 supported games were really DX9 games with a couple DX11 effects added in.. It wasn't until near the end of the life of last gen consoles did we truly see games take full advantage of DX11 on PC (BF4, Crysis 3, etc)

I agree with you that DX12 will most likely be exclusive to Windows 8 or 9.. I was just saying if Mantle was stealing market share away from DX12 because of Windows 7 then no doubt Microsoft would put a end to it by releasing it on Windows 7 later down the road.

Edit- Also, you're right about Mantle being compatible with hardware from other companies but I just don't think Nvidia or Intel ever use a API from both their main competitor which is AMD. They have have a middle man take care of it or make they're own low level API most likely..

I agree,consoles definitely play a big role in this. I think the devs not being bothered to work with something new as well as the console limitations that keep DX11 relatively unused.

They might do that, but they're also quite stubborn (just look at Bing), so it will take sometime.

The odds of Nvidia or Intel creating drivers for Mantle are indeed quite small, they're competitors after all.

There has been a ton of opposition against DirectX for a few years now. It really wouldn't surprise me if they come together and put in full support for both Mantle and more push for OpenGL support.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#23OreoBoy206Posted 3/21/2014 4:02:10 PM(edited)
^^^I could see OpenGL threatening DirectX since Intel, AMD and Nvidia support it and OpenGL offers low level access just like Mantle and DX12, so that keeps everyone on even playing field.. AMD would need to get Nvidia and Intel on board if they want to threaten DX12 with Mantle though, which might be quite difficult to do.