Is there any way all the Final Fantasy games and Kindgom Hearts can be released?

#31DavCubePosted 3/22/2014 8:45:49 AM
SuperSuikoden posted...
Kolanifv posted...
Sony has at least partial ownership of FFVII and VIII (maybe just character use refusal rights) so highly unlikely on Microsoft platforms.

If Sony has at least partial ownership of FFVII and VIII how comes both released on PC?

When they were making all the Compilation games for VII, Sony DID indeed have publishing exclusivity rights for said Compilation umbrella. That was long after the original PC release of VII, and probably didn't extend to VIII at any time at all. Those exclusivity rights have probably since expired.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#32KolanifvPosted 3/22/2014 9:35:37 AM
DavCube posted...
When they were making all the Compilation games for VII, Sony DID indeed have publishing exclusivity rights for said Compilation umbrella. That was long after the original PC release of VII, and probably didn't extend to VIII at any time at all. Those exclusivity rights have probably since expired.

As I understand it, they can tell Square Enix "no" if they want to feature Cloud, Aeris or any of the key players from FFVII on a competing platform. Since they don't see PC as a competing platform, it's a no-brainer as to why there's a PC version. Chains of Memories, which featured Cloud, was on a Nintendo handheld, but it was released before the PSP. Sony also bought a large amount of Squeenix stock back in the PS1 days, probably as a condition for the rights of refusal.
#33DrRockso87Posted 3/22/2014 9:40:03 AM
Not gonna happen. Best chance was a 360 release for the games but as you can see, didn't happen.

I'm still surprised an Xbox One release for 'Kingdom Hearts III' and 'Final Fantasy XV' is happening. Well, actually, I understand why 'Final Fantasy XV' will be on Xbox One since the series already has three installments on 360 but 'Kingdom Hearts'? Don't expect that to sell well on Xbox One. Gonna tank compared to the PS4 version.