How much difference does using hardwired ethernet as opposed to wireless, make?

#1Swan3624Posted 3/20/2014 5:43:12 PM
Sorry for the long title.

My Xbox One is currently hooked up via wireless internet, but my Xbox 360 is hooked up with the ethernet. I'm thinking about switching these methods, though, the only issue being that my Xbox 360 has a really bad time with wireless internet (hence why it's the only system with a hardwired ethernet connection in my place).

But how much of a difference does it make, having my One connected via ethernet as opposed to Wifi? Is it worth the hassle?
#2AkumaOutsiderPosted 3/20/2014 5:44:37 PM
Yup. It is.
You will have better down/up usually and better latency. Which is essential.
If you play beat em ups or fps games. You will notice it almost immediately
---
www.twitch.tv/feelmeclover
#3dray3214Posted 3/20/2014 5:45:57 PM
whats your signal strength while you're wireless? mines around 75% normally and i have no problems. i used to have it wired before i moved my xbox and haven't noticed any difference.
#4drfirepantsPosted 3/20/2014 5:54:43 PM(edited)
Have to factor in the quality of your router as well. Wired is always better than wireless, but if you have a really good router the difference will be pretty low as opposed to having a poor quality router and the difference can be huge.
#5mindoftwomoronsPosted 3/20/2014 5:56:42 PM
Also keep in mind, wireless connections are more susceptible to interference from other wireless devices as well as being weaker depending on where your Xbox One is located in relation to your router.

A wired connection will be far more reliable and consistent.
---
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/monkeyofevil/magnaangemon.gif
#6crynryanPosted 3/20/2014 6:21:45 PM
Wireless only transmits up to 54Mb, which is pretty slow compared to wired that can transmit up a Gbps. Not really a matter unless you're on Google Fiber.

Wireless is susceptible to interference from any thing that's wireless, and microwaves. This will cause missed packets from your Xbox to the router. Usually isn't anything at all, but if you have lots of stuff in between the router and the Xbox (like walls, floors) it could cause a problem.

The lag from a wireless device is greater than a wired, as the data could take a while (keep in mind that this is still in milliseconds) to get from the device to the router. Wireless can be choppy, and give you many different results. Wired pretty much gives the same results every time.

Wired is better, but wireless is ever so slowly catching up.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)