MS confirms - DX12 day 1 boost of 600Gflops/sec. Double for 60fps games.

#101CovenantPosted 3/21/2014 9:36:32 AM
vgsrule posted...
So, could anyone possibly explain what this update will do to a less technologically savvy person?

It will allow GPUs to perform closer to their theoretical limits by optimizing processes. PCs and phones are going to see much larger gains than the Xbox 1, since most of the techniques DX12 will introduce are already in use in the Xbox 1.
#102rgwPosted 3/21/2014 9:43:16 AM(edited)
How do people not understand that software inefficiency and hardware bottlenecks almost always diminish the performance of high-speed components. The reality of computing hardware is that nothing ever reaches it's theoretical performance capacity. Performance increases can be achieved by better software that touches the low-level hardware. In effect, DX12 is going to help the GPU get closer to it's theoretical performance level.

This is also the same argument I'd have for GDDR5 v. DDR3 memory. Clearly GDDR5 offers some distinct advantages but the reality is that the theoretical speeds of the better memory will never be realized because of other components creating a bottleneck. So the gap just isn't as big as people think.
---
rgw
--
#103RybalPosted 3/21/2014 9:51:14 AM
rgw posted...
This is also the same argument I'd have for GDDR5 v. DDR3 memory. Clearly GDDR5 offers some distinct advantages but the reality is that the theoretical speeds of the better memory will never be realized because of other components creating a bottleneck. So the gap just isn't as big as people think.

But isn't the RAM bandwidth generally the biggest bottleneck?
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#104billsfanno1Posted 3/21/2014 9:52:48 AM
Covenant posted...
vgsrule posted...
So, could anyone possibly explain what this update will do to a less technologically savvy person?

It will allow GPUs to perform closer to their theoretical limits by optimizing processes. PCs and phones are going to see much larger gains than the Xbox 1, since most of the techniques DX12 will introduce are already in use in the Xbox 1.

The last part about the X1 .... wrong and proven so already in this thread.
#105rgwPosted 3/21/2014 9:53:50 AM
Rybal posted...
rgw posted...

But isn't the RAM bandwidth generally the biggest bottleneck?

Magnetic hard disk access in my opinion.
---
rgw
--
#106rgwPosted 3/21/2014 9:55:08 AM
I guess all disc/disk access prior to solid state is a pretty big hinderance on data-intensive operations.
---
rgw
--
#107GuitaristMattPosted 3/21/2014 9:55:13 AM
that doesn't make sense...

It should work the system more not less...
---
"Well if you think chickens can fly, we better pull up wikipedia." - S. Healy
PS4 FAQs http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67619422
#108leelee3105Posted 3/21/2014 9:57:41 AM
i got an idea. how about you tools all stop trying to pretend you know more about computers than a computer company! you guys are worse than a fat bum second guessing professional athletes
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#109rgwPosted 3/21/2014 9:59:16 AM
I never took classes on operating systems, integrated systems, and digital logic.

oh wait i did
---
rgw
--
#110BSerenityPosted 3/21/2014 10:05:59 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
Covenant posted...
vgsrule posted...

The last part about the X1 .... wrong and proven so already in this thread.

Nothing has been proven yet. Unless MS Execs are your source of proof because never have they spun or mislead before like Sony and theirs. Right?
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.