MS confirms - DX12 day 1 boost of 600Gflops/sec. Double for 60fps games.

#41nb003_99Posted 3/21/2014 6:06:05 AM(edited)
joe_david posted...
"Microsoft confirms DX12 = 600 Gflops/sec on X1?
Highlight that for me if you can."

i misread, it's not 20gflops, it's 20% more gflops

"Microsoft also claims that the Xbox One will get a 20% boost per frame due to 20% more Gflops being available for use."

1.38 tflops x 0.2 = 28 gflops per frame

30fps = 30 x 28gflops = 840gflops
60fps = 60 x 28gflops = 1680gflop

so it's actually even better

Mis-read 20 as 600?
My bad, common mistake...
---
"DRM aside, all of Microsofts moves have been as intended."
- Hentaidoji
#42SabramPosted 3/21/2014 6:07:24 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
gobuffalo30 posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...
More PR nonsense, you'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson by now.

And it's also topics like these that have made the board a joke and why people complain why there's no good topics.

It just puzzles me as to why microsoft keep taking this 'spout techno babble at uneducated people and they'll jump on it like headless chicken' approach. Anybody with even the slightest amount of IT knowledge knows that updating the direct x version isnt going to make a massive difference to graphics performance. If anything the update is just going to add some new fancy lighting effects, which the XBO's graphics card probably wont be able to support on a large scale.

Willing to wait and see, but from a development point of view, it's going to make little difference, and it's definatly not going to push the resolutions and framerates up as much as a lot of people seem to think.

it's possible it could cause future games to perform better though better utilization of multi-threading, but that will be more up to the developers to take advantage of. Given that learning to use a new API like DX12 takes time and therefore money, it will likely only be utilized on the big MS exclusives, at least for the first couple years. However this will do nothing to close the hardware power gap between the two systems.

Microsoft may in fact be hindering progression of graphical processing on the XB1 by introducing a new API during the console's lifespan, which could cause games to be delayed (games that will be released in holiday season 2015 are being worked on now) as well as the aforementioned forcing developers to use the new system. the PS4 is going to stay constant during this time, in which devs can further tweak what they can do with the unchanging hardware and API, and get more performance out of it for less time and therefore money.

It may be MS shooting themselves in the foot again in a mad scramble to catch up to Sony.

On the flip side, this is AWESOME for PC users, as they won't have to do a thing, just update their DX drivers (while keeping the DX11 ones installed too) and reap the rewards.
---
I have discovered the perfect game. It is called Starbound, and shall be played forever.
PSN: Sabram
#43soulofillushaPosted 3/21/2014 6:20:43 AM
I don't understand why you people cant be objective. It seems that all of these Sony/MS fanboys don't spend their own money on games yet.

You guys try to differentiate each other by consoles when, in fact, you're all the same.
#44HENTAIDOJIPosted 3/21/2014 6:36:06 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...

AMD, Nvidia, Epic Games, Microsoft and everyone else all have the same PR?
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#45al3azmiPosted 3/21/2014 6:38:48 AM
This topic is dumb, and microsoft is putting its faith into dumb people...

AMD's Mantle was created to give life to Console-Like hardware optimizations to Pc-Games, now this will be the purpose of DX12, Microsoft will simply "Adopt" the technology of AMD's Mantle and implement it into DX12 and call it a day.

Xbox-One and PS4 already have their API, DirectX and OpenGL
DirectX is used be Xbox, while OpenGL by the PS4... its very funny that microsoft insisted on using DirectX the API they created and then they went with a chipmaker that doesn't even like DirectX... while sony let the chipmaker decide on what API to use, which lead them to victory..

if any of you still think that the API will increase the power of the X-1 and you still think DirectX will be updated in the xBox, mind you OpenGL is also adopting Mantle, so it will be the same for the Ps4.
---
Psn-Battler624 Psn2-alazmi906
Low class warrior with the power of millions of super Elite
#46AxleHeadXPosted 3/21/2014 6:39:28 AM
Today I learned that 20% of 112 GFlops is 488.
#47al3azmiPosted 3/21/2014 6:40:00 AM
HENTAIDOJI posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...

The Difference between Consoles and PC's
this is nonsense for the consoles but makes a lot of sense for PC games.
---
Psn-Battler624 Psn2-alazmi906
Low class warrior with the power of millions of super Elite
#48BrownGottiPosted 3/21/2014 6:45:56 AM
We always knew that future updates to the software would boost performance of the X1. The same will happen to the ps4 whether the software updates come from Sony or the developers.

I'm just confused as to why anyone is surprised that the number one software developer in the world is improving their hardware with software?
#49BSerenityPosted 3/21/2014 6:46:48 AM
al3azmi posted...
HENTAIDOJI posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...

The Difference between Consoles and PC's
this is nonsense for the consoles but makes a lot of sense for PC games.

Funny how two of those companies are pushing for far more support of OpenGL than DirectX in the PC scene. (Which will flow over to consoles eventually) This whole DirectX 12 seems like a reactionary measure against more OpenGL adoption and Mantle. Going to be interesting and fun to see DirectX get pushed aside more and more on the PC front.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#50AxleHeadXPosted 3/21/2014 6:51:45 AM
Numbers aside, fanboys need to realize these DX12 announcements are pretty redundant to Xbox One. Xbox One, just like all previous Xbox's have run a heavily modified version of Direct X. This is no different with DX12. Also all these GFlops and TFlops numbers mean nothing without a good overhead on memory bandwidth. Memory bandwidth will always be what holds the Xbox One back and that is a hardware issue. It cannot be fixed with firmware updates. Ultimately I don't believe this will make any difference graphically between the consoles once developers learn the respective consoles.