VR headset... WTh is the point??

#1BigSnappaXPosted 3/21/2014 5:50:18 AM
I mean... doesn't that just kill the point of HD gaming on a big pretty flat screen.... I don't know, maybe its just me, but i don't get it... Whats the point in even having a HDTV then?
---
XBGT: Snappa || PSN: SnappaX
~ Love, Not War... Cant we all just.... GET ALONG??!!?? ~
#2Tyronelio1Posted 3/21/2014 5:53:31 AM
To make you feel "part" of the game, not just controlling it.
---
GT: Tyron3L1o
"Men do not cry for themselves, but for their comrades" - Sephiroth.
#3jjordan0002Posted 3/21/2014 5:57:19 AM
The funny thing is ponies are always hating on first person experiences. In order for the VR headset to work properly and make you feel in the game they all have to be first person games.
---
Xbox Live: D3ad1yV1rus
#4shuggyconeheadPosted 3/21/2014 6:00:18 AM
Go to YouTube and watch markiplier play the ocolus rift. It's gonna change a lot a things in the gaming world.
---
GT:shuggyconehead
#5Logical_OnePosted 3/21/2014 6:02:45 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have a pretty powerful gaming PC and was able to try out my friend's OR and, IMO, it was underwhelming; I just don't see the draw.

It made me feel pretty dizzy after about 40-45 minutes and it was not exactly comfortable. Also, I found it killed immersion because it was too tight and light was bleeding through. I'm not bothered by how stupid I looked (although it makes me wonder about those who feel that way towards the Wii and Kinect but not VR) but I found it thoroughly overrated. I definitely would not pay the price of a console for just the VR tech--MAYBE I'd pay $100-150, however, as a whole I'm just not all that excited for it.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun
#6MidnightJacketPosted 3/21/2014 6:40:08 AM
I don't get it either, looks like just another FOTM gimmick like 3D gaming. One of my buddies is hyped for the Sony VR, I keep telling him he better wait and try it out before spending money on this thing. It's going to be like the Wii 2.0 - the novelty will draw gamers in, then extreme buyers remorse will follow after a couple days.
#7Logical_OnePosted 3/21/2014 7:02:46 AM
MidnightJacket posted...
I don't get it either, looks like just another FOTM gimmick like 3D gaming. One of my buddies is hyped for the Sony VR, I keep telling him he better wait and try it out before spending money on this thing. It's going to be like the Wii 2.0 - the novelty will draw gamers in, then extreme buyers remorse will follow after a couple days.

QFT.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun
#8BloatedSquirrelPosted 3/21/2014 7:40:55 AM
shuggyconehead posted...
Go to YouTube and watch markiplier play the ocolus rift. It's gonna change a lot a things in the gaming world.

I love watching his Oculus Rift horror playthroughs. I couldn't do it though, I have bad anxiety :\
---
"What are you pointing the gun at the suitcase for? It's dead already."
#9MrSpaM111Posted 3/21/2014 7:45:27 AM
"I loved the idea of oculus rift, but now Sony are making a similar product I hate it, vr is pointless, long live kinect!, savior of modern gaming!"

Said nobody ever
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#10Viet0nePosted 3/21/2014 7:48:16 AM
jjordan0002 posted...
The funny thing is ponies are always hating on first person experiences. In order for the VR headset to work properly and make you feel in the game they all have to be first person games.

There's a big difference between FPS games and other FP games. Your statement proves your ignorance.

The only people downplaying the things like the Oculus Rift are the people who have never used it or can't use it.

A small amount of people will get motion sickness but for the gaming industry as a whole, Immersion technology like these VR headsets are going to improve the gaming experience significantly more than something like the Kinect. Kinect is more of a gimmick than VR. So far, after over 5 years, there isn't any benefit to the Kinect. Even in alpha\beta stages, the Rift has already proven to be more effective at making a better gaming experience and has more support from game developers than the Kinect.
---
Currently Playing: ACIV, Starbound, Borderlands2
PSN/XBL : VietOne