Not to start a flame war, but why did MS and Sony go for such low console specs?

#1TransdudePosted 3/21/2014 6:23:01 PM
80/80

Looking at previous few console generations, when the consoles started up, they were the most powerful machines on the market for the first few years, and were supposed to push what we previously thought games couldn't do at the time. Then came this generation, and the consoles are already outdated before they're even released.

I know you can post the argument that "gameplay matters, not graphics", but using that argument is a complete irony right now. The one of the biggest pushes to even upgrade to an 8th gen consoles is for better graphics, but why would you do that when your current console can play those games with minor graphical difference.

Imagine what it's going to be 3 years down the line when the consoles become quite outdated.

Pre-discussion points I'd like to address:

First of all, I'm ignoring the PS4's sales numbers because I'm addressing one of the points that's keeping me from getting a PS4/XB1.

Second, don't bring up Nintendo. They're no longer in the same competition as the Sony and MS.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | Origin ID, NNID, & Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#2MonicasBackPosted 3/21/2014 6:27:55 PM
because of the 599 US dollars and Giant Enemy Crab
---
Monicaaa
#3game freakozoidPosted 3/21/2014 6:29:30 PM
New consoles were never able to compete with top end computers and that is still the same. You hopefully realize that even by using a site like this, you are most likely in the minority of people that actually game. Most people don't pay for expensive computers and it only seems to apparent now due to steam basically revitalizing the PC market this past generation. One thing that may be fooling you is this is the first time that consoles have been so completely similar to PC's that we can easily gauge how powerful they are, unlike past generations where they were much more different and it was always a "Time will tell" sort of scenario.

The main thing to remember is that at time of release, you could not build an equal PC powerwise to what the console offered for the same price point. Obviously that will change but that is how Microsoft and Sony set their prices.
#4MonicasBackPosted 3/21/2014 6:31:56 PM
xbox was more like a pc than the xbone is.
---
Monicaaa
#5richboy900Posted 3/21/2014 6:36:13 PM
Microsoft most likely because they set out to create an all round media system with the kinect.

I don't know about Sony, but during the ps4s development, I recall them saying to not expect a big jump in graphics. Truth is both these machines are underpowered.
#6rusty12000Posted 3/21/2014 6:42:36 PM
I am sure it comes down to high end chips cost more. I am thankful i have a gaming PC.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#7mike468Posted 3/21/2014 6:45:04 PM
I think it's because PC hardware advancements have outstripped console and the pace they where advancing before. I think generally it was what people where expecting.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#8MonicasBackPosted 3/21/2014 6:47:33 PM
They could have easily made a more competitive console and sold the systems at a lose again, but its more economical for sony and ms this way.

Imagine how strong a 599 PS4 sold at a lose would be.
---
Monicaaa
#9stargazer1981Posted 3/21/2014 7:12:07 PM
I'll bring up Nintendo if I want to.

Nintendo. There. I brought it up.

Actually, my gaming setup is pretty great right now: a mid-end gaming PC that only needs two upgrades to make it high grade, that I can play last gen games on. The X1 for new junk. And my Wii U for the delightfully fun Ninty first party games, and retro classics.

Truth be told, I'm never wanting in the digital entertainment realm. And the graphics are all serviceable and "pretty" enough to keep me engaged. Gameplay does matter more than graphics, that's a fact for REAL GAMERS (oh snap, I went there!).
---
'We are both atheists. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.'
#10AlexanaxelaPosted 3/21/2014 9:03:36 PM
it'd be pointless. They could make supapowerful 599 US dollars ps4s and xbox ones and they would still be outdated in a year
---
No matter what happened in the past, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new.