Not to start a flame war, but why did MS and Sony go for such low console specs?

#11Cowboy082288Posted 3/21/2014 9:15:30 PM
game freakozoid posted...
New consoles were never able to compete with top end computers and that is still the same. You hopefully realize that even by using a site like this, you are most likely in the minority of people that actually game. Most people don't pay for expensive computers and it only seems to apparent now due to steam basically revitalizing the PC market this past generation. One thing that may be fooling you is this is the first time that consoles have been so completely similar to PC's that we can easily gauge how powerful they are, unlike past generations where they were much more different and it was always a "Time will tell" sort of scenario.

The main thing to remember is that at time of release, you could not build an equal PC powerwise to what the console offered for the same price point. Obviously that will change but that is how Microsoft and Sony set their prices.

Actually the X360 was considered an equivalent to a high end PC when it came out. Also the PS3 had a blu-ray player when those things were selling for about $1,000 for a stand alone player.

Tech wise, new consoles have never been this out matched before. I'm willing to bet that in 2-3 years you can put together a PC that easily outperforms these two consoles for about $400-500.

Hell look at this:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/CyberpowerPC-Steam-Machine-Beats-PS4-Xbox-One-Price-Performance-61434.html

And that is a $500 dollar 'console' outperforming both the PS4 and X1.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#12Sith JediPosted 3/21/2014 9:21:15 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
New consoles were never able to compete with top end computers and that is still the same. You hopefully realize that even by using a site like this, you are most likely in the minority of people that actually game. Most people don't pay for expensive computers and it only seems to apparent now due to steam basically revitalizing the PC market this past generation. One thing that may be fooling you is this is the first time that consoles have been so completely similar to PC's that we can easily gauge how powerful they are, unlike past generations where they were much more different and it was always a "Time will tell" sort of scenario.

The main thing to remember is that at time of release, you could not build an equal PC powerwise to what the console offered for the same price point. Obviously that will change but that is how Microsoft and Sony set their prices.

Actually the X360 was considered an equivalent to a high end PC when it came out. Also the PS3 had a blu-ray player when those things were selling for about $1,000 for a stand alone player.

Tech wise, new consoles have never been this out matched before. I'm willing to bet that in 2-3 years you can put together a PC that easily outperforms these two consoles for about $400-500.

Hell look at this:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/CyberpowerPC-Steam-Machine-Beats-PS4-Xbox-One-Price-Performance-61434.html

2-3 years? You can build a $500 PC right now that would outperform them. My $700 laptop I bought a year ago outperforms them easily.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#13TheWayOfTheGunPosted 3/21/2014 9:29:24 PM
Because they can. It was a business decision.

Don't get too caught up in it. On PC their the price limit is ridiculous You can spend 2 grand on a dual Titan setup and 99% of the time it's complete waste of power.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#14Cowboy082288Posted 3/21/2014 9:32:56 PM
Sith Jedi posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

Hell look at this:

2-3 years? You can build a $500 PC right now that would outperform them. My $700 laptop I bought a year ago outperforms them easily.

ehhh I have heard people claim that but so far the $500 dollar builds I have seen are pretty sketchy. A lot is being sacrificed to pull it in that magical $500 mark. Also I said easily outperforms, meaning not just theoretical benchmarks but noticeable difference when playing a game.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#15Sith JediPosted 3/21/2014 9:36:01 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
Sith Jedi posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

Hell look at this:

ehhh I have heard people claim that but so far the $500 dollar builds I have seen are pretty sketchy. A lot is being sacrificed to pull it in that magical $500 mark. Also I said easily outperforms, meaning not just theoretical benchmarks but noticeable difference when playing a game.

Fair enough. Bump it up another $100-$200 to noticeably outperform them.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#16nightshadeAPosted 3/21/2014 11:48:15 PM
i posted a link to this on the pc board so be preapred for some corrections on the aforementioned statements
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid
#17SixStringHeroPosted 3/22/2014 12:02:13 AM
I clearly remember the 360 having graphical effects that were not available on PCs at the time of launch.

The GPU wasn't surpassed until about 6 months after launch.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#18Xeeh_BitzPosted 3/22/2014 12:08:39 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
Because they can. It was a business decision.

Don't get too caught up in it. On PC their the price limit is ridiculous You can spend 2 grand on a dual Titan setup and 99% of the time it's complete waste of power.

Only because of weakass consoles not pushing developers
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#19NSGraphitePosted 3/22/2014 12:19:35 AM
These things need to be priced for the average consumer. high end PC's cost good money. at least $1000 for a good one (you can make a "servicable" gaming pc for less than that, but it wont be anywhere near top of the line). The ps3 proved last generation that people didnt want to pay any more than $500 for a dedicated game console (regardless of the multimedia feature set) and that $400 is the sweet spot. that limits the specs they can put into these consoles if the company wants to come anywhere near profitable within the first year or two of production.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#20Golden MavenPosted 3/22/2014 12:21:37 AM
I'm sure the low RAM was a real bottleneck on the PS3 and 360, remember all the Bethesda games? I can live with a modest graphics bump, what we really needed is a RAM boost and we got it. I want to see more action on my screen and just a generally bigger scope for games.