If a new shenmue was xbox one exclusive would it boost sales

#11OpheliaAdenadePosted 3/22/2014 1:29:12 AM
You want a game about that whale from Sea World?
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#12sulkythefishPosted 3/22/2014 1:30:27 AM
They would need to update and rerelease 1and 2 first so people that never played them could and get interested if they just released shenmue 3 to the general public most would be like WTF is this that I've never heard of I'm not jumping into part 3 of a. 4 part story with no idea what's going on
#13MachineOfaDreamPosted 3/22/2014 1:40:17 AM
KenshinXSlayer posted...
MachineOfaDream posted...
Shenmue was only ever notable for its attempt to make an extremely realistic video game that put presentation and interactive environments far ahead of gameplay. It hasn't aged well, though. Modern games like Tomb Raider do everything Shenmue did way better, with significantly better gameplay. I'm saying this as a pretty old school gamer, too. I'm 32, and owned a Sega Dreamcast with Shenmue back in the day. I wouldn't play it again.

The only way Shenmue could make a comeback would be with a massive revamp and a serious effort to bring it up to the modern standard of a realistic story-driven game.

Hasn't aged well? I have to respectfully disagree. The graphics still look great to this day, and maybe if Suzuki-san, tweaks the battle system just a bit, but maintain the same feel, I have no problems with having Shenmue III with the same engine. Now, the newer generation, would have big problems: They would think this is a rip-off of other QTE based games, as someone above stated. Why would you compare Tomb Raider, a game of exploration and shooting people, which also took features from Uncharted, like Uncharted did for the original Tomb Raider games-- to Shenmue, which has nothing to do with a game like the former?

Shenmue's breakthrough was supposed to be the level to which you could interact with the world and environment, and the realism of the world as a whole. Modern big budget games often achieve this even when it's not a main focus of the game. It's no longer a novel idea to be able to walk around freely and interact with stuff in a realistic world. It's the norm. If Shenmue can be given any credit, maybe it can be for being one of the first games to attempt that level of realism. It doesn't seem relevant anymore, though. It would need a massive overhaul from what it was the last time we saw it.
---
XBL: TheBigBB
PSN: TheBig-BB
#14Shaolin015Posted 3/22/2014 6:07:08 AM
TC. I think you chose the wrong system expecting shenmue to release as an Xbox exclusive. What do titanfall, halo, call of duty and gears of war all have in common?

Shenmue would make no sense in that line up
#15Plzstopflaming(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 2:06:41 PM
Shaolin015 posted...
TC. I think you chose the wrong system expecting shenmue to release as an Xbox exclusive. What do titanfall, halo, call of duty and gears of war all have in common?

Shenmue would make no sense in that line up

The end
XBox history of exclusives do not prove to be any indication of what won't be an exclusive in the future
#16VRViperIIPosted 3/24/2014 2:13:53 PM
Shenmue didn't move dreamcasts or xboxes. So no way would it affect current systems.

If they closed the world down and focused on the actual narrative and gameplay, maybe more of a dragon age paced game, it could really be something.
---
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rheagar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Valar Morghulis
#17Omega_BlackPosted 3/24/2014 2:15:25 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
The internet has a nasty habit of overestimating, or overhyping, things.

You see the few thousand people clamoring for Shenmue 3? Likely half of that would actually buy it,
And I'd be among that half buying, lol. The game wouldn't move units though. It would be a risky endeavor for any of the big three to co-finance although I'd imagine Nintendo would be the company to fund it first since it would be looking for more "unique" exclusive experiences to feature on its consoles in a grand, expensive attempt to charm "core" audiences.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#18Hucast9Posted 3/24/2014 2:24:07 PM
I think Lost Odyssey 2 would boost much more sales than Shenmue 3.
#19billsfanno1Posted 3/24/2014 2:30:31 PM
Shaolin015 posted...
What do titanfall, halo, call of duty and gears of war all have in common?

They are a short list of exclusives cherry picked by a fanboy in a silly attempt to restate a tired argument. LOL at Call of Duty being Xbox exclusive, you really have good sources. What to Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Powerstar Golf, Max Curse of Brotherhood, Ryse, Peggle 2, Kinect Sports Rivals, Crimson Dragon and Zoo Tycoon all have in common?

Shenmue would not be a significant system seller. Shenmue 1 and 2 couldn't save the Dreamcast years ago when the game was in its prime, not sure how a sequel of a poorly selling series on a $199 console would now be able to move a $450-$500 console.