Adam Orth discusses the "Internet hate phenomenon"

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Adam Orth discusses the "Internet hate phenomenon"
1 year ago#1
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ex-microsoft-creative-director-discusses-the-internet-hate-phenomenon/1100-6418465/

During a Game Developers Conference presentation this week, Adam Orth, who left Microsoft after his Xbox One "deal with it" comments drew significant controversy, opened up on what he described as the "Internet hate phenomenon."

As part of his presentation, called "Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community," Orth explained how the spewing of hate affected him personally.

"I was becoming the next victim of the Internet hate phenomenon. It was an absolute feeding frenzy. My public and private life was fair game," he said, as reported by GamesIndustry International. "People began to distance themselves from me. I was dejected, ashamed, and embarrassed. I destroyed my career and feared being blacklisted by the industry. I went from income to no income."

Orth received death threats and some people even wished cancer upon him and his child, he said. But he's not worried about the potential for Internet threats to materialize into real-world violence. Instead, he said it's seriously sad that society has "regressed" to a point where the kind of behavior and comments sent his way are acceptable when someone has an opinion other than their own.

"Most developers don't even raise an eyebrow at this because this is the new normal. As an industry we've become desensitized to this insane behavior because it's overwhelming, ubiquitous, and unstoppable. Somehow we've devolved while moving forward, and there's no going back," he said.

Orth explained that he's seen an "us versus them" theme rise to the surface between developers and players. This negative trend has the potential to spiral even further out of control, he said.

"It's chilling," he said, recalling a quote from one developer he spoke with saying this issue "represents a total breakdown of how our industry fundamentally functions and foreshadows possible dark times ahead. Internet toxicity has the power to s*** on something beautiful and destroy it."
1 year ago#2
If you don't want to be attacked on the internet, don't insult broad groups of people on the internet. Simple.
1 year ago#3
He's a dude who really deserved it though.

Maybe not to that extent.
1 year ago#4
He must be new to the internet. He should learn to ignore the trolls.
1 year ago#5
Internet toxicity has the power to s*** on something beautiful and destroy it.

He should take his own advice and “deal with it“
1 year ago#6
Dude tells potential customers "Deal With It". Gets butthurt when the potential customers did deal with it and he found himself looking for work.
---
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
1 year ago#7
Razorskin posted...
Dude tells potential customers "Deal With It". Gets butthurt when the potential customers did deal with it and he found himself looking for work.

Was it actually "potential customers" or was it a back and forth argument with a Bioware developer? Did he explicitly say that actual fans? If its just with the developer, then death threats to him and his family are unjustified for simply stating his opinion in an argument with a colleague. The people above who say he deserved it are pathetic if Orth's comments were in fact directed solely at the developer and not fans.
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244 || Pkmn Y IGN: Pasha || TSV: 2535 ||Friend Safari: Ghost: Phantump, Golurk, Lampent
1 year ago#8
Razorskin posted...

Potential costumers? ROFL, these people are just "LOL I HATE XBOX ONE 'CAUSE DRM = STUPIDS PS4. M$ M$ M$ M$ HERP DERP!"

Take these children from our live, PSN. Thanks.
1 year ago#9
His tweets were public, which is why this became a thing at all. So either he's a dumbass for saying it to the public at all or a dumbass for not keeping his private conversation private.
---
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
1 year ago#10
Not that he deserved death threats but the guy came off as a complete A-hole, he deserved all the hate he got.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Adam Orth discusses the "Internet hate phenomenon"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived