Xbox / PS4 performance

#21Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 3/22/2014 12:26:28 PM
SADMZ posted...
HAVE YOU SEEN HOW FAR I CAN PISS!? I CAN PISS WAY FARTHER THAN YOU!!

I was pissing into the wind, so mulligan...
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."
#22godplaysSNESPosted 3/22/2014 12:51:17 PM
The PS4 and Xbox One both use the same line of CPUs and GPUs, and have the same amount of RAM. The PS4 just has more horsepower.

In essence, the Xbox One is capable of everything the PS4 can do, but at a lower graphical fidelity. And that's why the Xbox One versions are running at a lower resolution.

Even some years from now, we are unlikely to see more differences between them than the resolution.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#23Garage_ManPosted 3/22/2014 1:04:53 PM
Okay this is really simple...

CPU power..they are both generally junk in this regard. We will have mobile chips faster in the coming time. Trying to compare them to eachother is a waste of time because we are talking +-5% MAYBE.

GPU power, the BIGGEST thing is where the ps4 does win. It does have roughly 50% more. That is why right NOW we are seeing the Xbox do sometimes 720 and ps4 1080...that's 1.25% the pixels, we can't get around that. You can have direct access go the gpu through a api and the ps4 will always look much cleaner.

Now recently with all the api updates people seem to think it's going to drastically change things and that's just NOT how a new api works. Unless the old api was just that bad....and you also have to account for the ps4 updating it's api too.
#24Golden MavenPosted 3/22/2014 1:35:57 PM
lol Garage_Man you're not fooling anyone.
#25Homie_202Posted 3/22/2014 1:46:23 PM
a687947 posted...
lilj812 posted...
a687947 posted...
lilj812 posted...
Look at the sheer number of multi-platform games running at higher resolutions and having a better frame rate on the ps4.

The ps4 is much more powerful in terms of hardware and it shows in many games. Which is weird because the ps4 is cheaper.

There are six games confirmed to have different resolutions or frame rates....

Okay, and of those 6, which games runs at a better frame rate or resolution on the Xbox one? None of them? All of them run better on the ps4 even though they are the same game?

/thread

Lol you were trying to make it sound like nearly every game runs at a higher frame rate or resolution on ps4. That clearly isn't true, it's a small minority and out of all the multiplats that are coming out only two have been rumored to be different. Also, digital foundry concluded that thief actually ran better on Xbox and the ps4 version of tomb raider has larger frame rate drops than the Xbox version.

Not sure if you noticed or not but there aren't many game out for both consoles. And most are going to be games that were on last gen as well so they won't even have a huge difference.
#26LEGEND_725Posted 3/22/2014 1:48:01 PM
Solis posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
Ps4 gpu is around 50 percent more powerful

Ps4 is around 1.8 gf
Xone around 1.2 gf

Which so far had failed to translate to more than a 2% difference between games

It's actually translated to a 125% difference in some cases, where the Xbox One version of a game is running at 720p while the PS4 version is running at 1080p. It's somewhat surprising that there's such a significant performance gap between the two systems in these situations, generally you'd expect games to use intermediate resolutions instead.

To the topic creator's question though, no, no software update can make up for hardware deficiencies. We'll probably see similar performance differences between the systems throughout their lifecycles, although as we've seen so far, it can vary from game to game.

You can say its a 200% difference but side by side the games are looking way too similar I would love to do an experiment with 200 ppl watching identical unmarked gameplay then try to have them identify which is which.
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE
#27blacklabelicePosted 3/22/2014 1:57:16 PM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Golden Maven posted...
Just wait for DirectX12... Then we'll see where the consoles stand. Raw horsepower can only go so far.

Direct X 12 will do about as much for the Xbone as the cloud is. Oh wait....
#28OMGWYATTPosted 3/22/2014 2:01:48 PM
Golden Maven posted...
lol Garage_Man you're not fooling anyone.

everything he said was pretty accurate
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
Have List: http://tinyurl.com/kqr69kx
#29BukoNuTzPosted 3/22/2014 3:13:04 PM
LEGEND_725 posted...
Solis posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
Ps4 gpu is around 50 percent more powerful

Ps4 is around 1.8 gf
Xone around 1.2 gf

Which so far had failed to translate to more than a 2% difference between games

It's actually translated to a 125% difference in some cases, where the Xbox One version of a game is running at 720p while the PS4 version is running at 1080p. It's somewhat surprising that there's such a significant performance gap between the two systems in these situations, generally you'd expect games to use intermediate resolutions instead.

To the topic creator's question though, no, no software update can make up for hardware deficiencies. We'll probably see similar performance differences between the systems throughout their lifecycles, although as we've seen so far, it can vary from game to game.

You can say its a 200% difference but side by side the games are looking way too similar I would love to do an experiment with 200 ppl watching identical unmarked gameplay then try to have them identify which is which.

The irony. I remember back in the days when the xbox version of the game gets a bit more grass in the field, sharper textures, and a 5% higher resolution and they can magically see a difference. Now the table has turned the difference is now somehow negligible.
---
PSN:BukoNuTz
#30Waren_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 5:09:04 AM
Thanks to everyone who answerd my question. Gave me some good information to look into in my free time.

To most its cool that everyone is so passionate about there console of choice but not everything has to be a strait up debate. Good thing is i take it as a sighn of great suppourt for both consoles wich will hopefully give them the time they need to make something awesome and encourage another round in maybe 5 or 6 years.