Are we heading to the point where we pay for each chapter of a game?

#1skermacPosted 3/22/2014 10:21:11 AM
Ground Zeroes is starting it. I have played MANY games over the years and I am not giving in to reviewer hype that says its a prologue, I am using my own experience. The main game is one mission. I have played many prologues and chapter 1 of games that are just like this.

I think before long we be able to buy each chapter of any game as soon as its ready instead of waiting 2 years for an entire game to be made. Is this good or bad?
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2kennyynnooPosted 3/22/2014 10:23:49 AM
MGS gz is a prologue, Gran turismo did it before. We already pay for extra chapters, DR3.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#3skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 10:26:42 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
MGS gz is a prologue, Gran turismo did it before. We already pay for extra chapters, DR3.

:/
---
#4Tyronelio1Posted 3/22/2014 10:27:20 AM
kennyynnoo posted...

You can't really compare $10 dlc to $50 (aud) retail games.
---
GT: Tyron3L1o
I don't know what's worse, company fanboys or kojima fanboys? One thing is for certain, they are most definitely the definition of a neckbeard.
#5SunDevil77Posted 3/22/2014 10:31:27 AM
There are tons of different methods of distribution and pay models for games now. Some good, some bad.

Paying for chapters like The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us is a good system. They offer a discount to buy all of them, and it spreads the releases out to make each chapter something to look forward to.

And I wouldn't say Ground Zeros is a "chapter." It's more like the expansion packs that are popular for PC games. It gives a large area and a story, along with side missions and collectibles.
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#6skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 10:34:52 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
There are tons of different methods of distribution and pay models for games now. Some good, some bad.

Paying for chapters like The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us is a good system. They offer a discount to buy all of them, and it spreads the releases out to make each chapter something to look forward to.

And I wouldn't say Ground Zeros is a "chapter." It's more like the expansion packs that are popular for PC games. It gives a large area and a story, along with side missions and collectibles.

The side missions are so so, I quit out of each of them before I got half way though out of boredom. The main mission does not feel like a whole game. If felt like chapter one to me. One play through was enough for me, I want to move on and see how the game ends.
---
#7FinzFan4lifePosted 3/22/2014 10:41:27 AM
the game is long as you want to make it, be it two hours or 4, I take my time with games like this study paths of soldiers take them out silently, the game it's self is fun and myself enjoy it is fun.

To your question TC, it depends on how you look at it, if they charge it accordingly then it can be good.

3 dollars a chapter or what ever depending on the length.

I for one know if I am going to like a game within the first hour or so, I do not like renting games cause of my schedule I work 3weeks on 3 weeks off out of state and don't take my console with me.

So if I am given the opportunity to try the actual game from the start then I will Know, cause I have played demos I liked but didn't like the full game.

I am not a Developer but I don't think they work like that chapter by chapter and all.

But If I was able to do it like itunes does it maybe buy episode 1 then buy the rest at the price that would equal the full game would be cool, but they need to offer MP with the first episode at least a few maps and things
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#8skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 11:17:11 AM
I think the length was about right for a chapter. It took me almost 2 hours to beat the main misson. The main reason it felt like a chapter is because it left me hanging and felt like it was ready to move on to the next chapter. Which it will in TPP.

I would pay $10 or so per chapter of a game if the chapters are released when completed like Ground Zeroes style. I hate waiting 2 or more years between main titles of some games and giving us a chapter every 2 or 3 months would keep me satisfied. Then I could play them all when again if I wanted when the last chapter is completed, and the last chapter would have the mp. Yes, call me impatient lol
---
#9UtterMoonPosted 3/22/2014 11:28:17 AM
Ground Zeroes is starting it? Really?

No..we are not heading to the point where we pay for each chapter of the game..at least not outside of mobile apps. also Telltale with their episodic stuff.

Will we see more prologue type things? Who knows...but the games industry isn't even freaking close to getting to the point where they need to sell each "chapter" separately...so please..take off the tin foil hat.
#10Pantera_head667Posted 3/22/2014 12:46:44 PM
I'm more worried about this "buy before it's finished" model that's all the rage in indie gaming at the moment, steam is full of games in alpha stages and it's getting incredibly ridiculous now... I fear this will start happening on consoles. I can't defend or criticise Ground Zeroes because i haven't played it, but it really doesn't tempt me whatsoever, i hate the idea of it.. Its like buying an interactive trailer.. A taster. Its a dev being greedy banking your money before they give you the full product.

Watch the cutscenes on youtube... That's what im gonna do, save the money for the 'actual' game.
---
_,-' Dance to the decadence dance '-,_