Why do Games take a long time to install

#11aj4x94Posted 3/24/2014 4:25:30 PM
GuyFawkes5 posted...
because X1 is 2006 hardware.

Metric is awesome.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Lords of Shadow, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, GTA V.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#12Enigma149Posted 3/24/2014 4:34:19 PM(edited)
InninXI posted...
Homie_202 posted...
kingbahamut83 posted...
It downloads and installs the updates at the same, plus these are blu ray discs and file sizes are 20-35 Gb for each game.

It has nothing really to do with the file size as my ps4 games take literally seconds. Infamous for me took about 10 seconds to fully install and DL the update.

Ps4 talk is forbidden lest you get called a pony!

The PS4 has a SATA II interface, which caps out at 300 MB/s. Even if the PS4 maxes this out (which it doesn't - no HDD does), the file he installed could be at most 3 GB.

I don't know Infamous's file size, but I'm fairly certain it's more than 3 GB.

***EDIT***
I was right - it's somewhere around 24 GB:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/19/full-infamous-second-son-cover-revealed-installation-size-also-unveiled/
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#132ndAtomiskPosted 3/24/2014 4:28:49 PM
Homie_202 posted...
kingbahamut83 posted...
It downloads and installs the updates at the same, plus these are blu ray discs and file sizes are 20-35 Gb for each game.

It has nothing really to do with the file size as my ps4 games take literally seconds. Infamous for me took about 10 seconds to fully install and DL the update.

Then you have some kind of super magical PS4. I have nearly every game that has a physical copy and not one fully installed in seconds.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
http://abload.de/img/zeronailed4xz8o.gif
#14Sith JediPosted 3/24/2014 4:30:08 PM
Enigma149 posted...
InninXI posted...
Homie_202 posted...
kingbahamut83 posted...

Ps4 talk is forbidden lest you get called a pony!

The PS4 has a SATA II interface, which caps out at 300 MB/s. Even if the PS4 maxes this out (which it doesn't - no HDD does), the file he installed could be at most 3 GB.

I don't know Infamous's file size, but I'm fairly certain it's more than 3 GB.

I always love when someone gets caught pulling numbers out of their ass.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#15EvilDarksidePosted 3/24/2014 4:51:08 PM
I don't know why some of you guys say it takes a long time to install games, even Titanfall took a little more than 20 minutes to install on my Xbox One. That's a very acceptable install time.
#16spacejamjordanzPosted 3/24/2014 4:53:33 PM
EvilDarkside posted...
I don't know why some of you guys say it takes a long time to install games, even Titanfall took a little more than 20 minutes to install on my Xbox One. That's a very acceptable install time.

Actually no it's not.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#17crynryanPosted 3/24/2014 4:59:21 PM
2ndAtomisk posted...
Homie_202 posted...
kingbahamut83 posted...

Then you have some kind of super magical PS4. I have nearly every game that has a physical copy and not one fully installed in seconds.

People are comparing the cache feature (which doesn't fully install games), to a feature that fully installs games.

As to answer TC's question, games are getting bigger. Blurays are very much bigger than DVD9s (which is what the 360 used), and thus have much more data on them, up to about 4-5x.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#18Lawboy2Posted 3/24/2014 5:02:43 PM
Come with the ps4 talk this is not true it takes ard the same amount of time to download on both consoles ...it took me about 30-40 minutes to download infamous and like 40 mins to download titanfall...it really depends on ur internet connection
#19sammogardPosted 3/24/2014 6:56:30 PM
That first install takes longer then normal. but after that its fine.