Jim Sterling discusses the Xbox One vs the PS4

#31Omega_BlackPosted 3/24/2014 10:22:59 PM
Tyronelio1 posted...
The ps4 is more expensive in Australia...

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/playstation-4
https://ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-165454-TitanFall-Xbox-One-Bundle-Xbox-One
And it looks like the XBO is more expensive still...

"B-b-but the US!!"
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/xbox-one-ps4-in-australia-are-we-really-being-ripped-off

"Australia isn't the edge case here, being charged more than the rest of the world. Rather, itís the US thatís being charged less than the rest of the world, comparatively speaking."

"However, in comparison to our PAL region peers in the UK and mainland Europe weíre actually better off. Currency values fluctuate, of course, but based on today's conversions both the Xbox One and the PS4 are actually cheaper in Australia than they are in the UK and mainland Europe."

"Itís probably also worth remembering that the PS4 is the cheapest PlayStation console to launch in Australia. Ever. Even before accounting for up to 17 years of inflation."

Oh indie games, well we don't need those as we got full retail exclusives I think we got 2 this month and 1 next month?
And that's great for us. I just wish there was something more to tide me and others over in between when only one (or none) of those exclusives are of interest. I think rational Wii U owners will freely admit droughts are no fun.

Quality is subjective to opinion, so again it's his opinion.
When it is so blatantly obvious where the current value is, it's not lol. Let's just call a spade a spade here: XBO's Live is currently not a good value at all. It's not an opinion. It's just simple fact.

And lastly did you not have an original Xbox? Where live was solely for online gaming and everything that has followed is just a plus?
While I get what you're saying now, are you honestly suggesting that Microsoft is right in continuing to block access to stuff like Netflix behind Live? When it's best selling competitor isn't? When competition is showing you up, it's no longer a "plus". It's a big fat minus.

And I'd rather have superior online gaming...
My spotty Titanfall matches say otherwise. =(
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#32Tyronelio1Posted 3/24/2014 11:00:41 PM
Well it looks like people who buy the titanfall bundle are being screwed in Australia because at launch it was $500 for me.

And we don't get Netflix on the console just on pc, so that pay wall is non existent.

I have both ps+ and gold and they offer me exactly the same but know offers me dedicated servers while the other offers me indies I already had. (Well that's always been ps+ giving games people already have) so, my opinion is that they are equal value.

I'm not even embarrassed to say I bought the WIIU for smash bros, deus ex and Lego city.
But I have other consoles so the drought may suck for the diehards Nintendo fans neither the ps4 or xbone are going through a drought.

But you and I obviously have different opinions in the subject matter so ill agree to disagree.

And if you actually have an xbox1 and aren't actually fanboying like I've seen in a few other posts by you over time, then I genuinely apologise brother.

Just so many trolls on these boards, half the time it's hard to differentiate.
---
GT: Tyron3L1o
I don't know what's worse, company fanboys or kojima fanboys? One thing is for certain, they are most definitely the definition of a neckbeard.
#33IzraeilPosted 3/24/2014 11:47:09 PM
PsyEd posted...
Why would some fat guy's youtube or their opinion matter?

He's fat and only should be used for entertainment...his opinion doesn't count...neither does his existence.

/thread

I'm sure his existence matters to all the starving children who could live off the food he eats just because he's bored.
#34RaRitsujunPosted 3/25/2014 12:11:57 AM
Poor bone.
---
18735 XBL Gamerscores | 47 PSN Platinums - Level 26 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
#35SoulTrapperPosted 3/25/2014 12:20:08 AM
PsyEd posted...
Why would some fat guy's youtube or their opinion matter?

He's fat and only should be used for entertainment...his opinion doesn't count...neither does his existence.

/thread

How about you try and address his arguments instead of his looks?

Oh, that's right, you know he's correct, so you can't actually address his arguments.

It's always so sad to see people resort to this sort of BS just so they can keep living in denial.
#36MasteroftheArtsPosted 3/25/2014 1:21:52 AM
He spends half the video attempting to sideline the basic argument that indie games aren't system sellers, while still attempting to use them as ammunition, which they aren't. There is absolutely no reason to play indie games on either console when steam exists.

The physical media complaint is based entirely on personal experience as I've had no issues with playing physical discs on it. I don't know why people think live gold is a ripoff. I've had it since the console released and I haven't paid a dime for it. Further, the difference between being able to access features on a smart tv as opposed to accessing indie games on steam is that steam is available to anyone with a computer, free, and can be obtained in one minute.

In the end, it's just more fake outrage to fuel views and nothing more. Every criticism of Xbox made in the video is the same tired rigmarole of arguments that have existed since release. They're all asinine and the system is wonderful.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#37CaIiber345Posted 3/25/2014 1:32:33 AM(edited)
It's hard to deny that 3:40-4:00 isn't a compelling and reasonable observation.

The Defense Force is angry in this thread.
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: No Man's Sky, The Witness, Mercenary Kings, Rogue Legacy, Destiny
#38SoulTrapperPosted 3/25/2014 2:31:49 AM
MasteroftheArts posted...
He spends half the video attempting to sideline the basic argument that indie games aren't system sellers, while still attempting to use them as ammunition, which they aren't. There is absolutely no reason to play indie games on either console when steam exists.

The physical media complaint is based entirely on personal experience as I've had no issues with playing physical discs on it. I don't know why people think live gold is a ripoff. I've had it since the console released and I haven't paid a dime for it. Further, the difference between being able to access features on a smart tv as opposed to accessing indie games on steam is that steam is available to anyone with a computer, free, and can be obtained in one minute.

In the end, it's just more fake outrage to fuel views and nothing more. Every criticism of Xbox made in the video is the same tired rigmarole of arguments that have existed since release. They're all asinine and the system is wonderful.

Going by your logic, there is no reason to play any game that isn't an exclusive on console.

A lot of people simply don't like playing games on a PC.
The indie games offer a nice variety and give people something to do in between waiting for the next big title to release.
They're not system sellers, but they do offer something extra that the xbox currently doesn't have.

Nothing in your argumentation makes the xbox look better, it's just talking about why PC is the way to go.
I don't think you actually thought your argument through.

Indie games are, currently, something the ps4 has going for it, while xbox one is still waiting for the id@xbox thing to get off the ground.
#39MasteroftheArtsPosted 3/25/2014 3:39:17 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Going by your logic, there is no reason to play any game that isn't an exclusive on console.

No, and I never stated that. I don't even know how you could have possibly gotten that from my post. What my post boils down to is that there is already an existing platform which plays indie games quite well, and that is PC through a variety of applications.

SoulTrapper posted...
A lot of people simply don't like playing games on a PC.
The indie games offer a nice variety and give people something to do in between waiting for the next big title to release.
They're not system sellers, but they do offer something extra that the xbox currently doesn't have.

Which you and the video creator failed to notice the blatant hypocrisy in that argument. When Sony offers a feature that currently exists in other forms, (indie games) it's considered a boon. When Microsoft offers a feature that currently exists in other forms, (multimedia entertainment hub) it's not considered a feature, but something that can be obtained through other avenues. The features offered on Xbox can be obtained only by having a tv that supports them which many people don't. The indie games offered on Playstation are offered on a platform that virtually everyone already has, for cheaper, with more games offered to choose from. Further, you just make the assumption that a lot of people don't like playing games on a PC when it's apparent that PC gaming has exploded in the past few years.

SoulTrapper posted...
Nothing in your argumentation makes the xbox look better, it's just talking about why PC is the way to go.
I don't think you actually thought your argument through.

Except my goal isn't to make Xbox look better. My goal is to give my opinion and my opinion is that indie games have little to no effect on which console a person chooses and never will. The difference between you and me is that I'm not viewing this as some war where we wave our flags for our team and take shots at each other. With regard to indie games, both systems have little to nothing to offer in this area and frankly, never have. I haven't experienced a single issue with Live Gold, and it is perfect the way it is. Because it offers all multimedia capabilities that I use, and because I play indie games on PC, there's no reason to spend money on a service like Playstation Plus. I've thought my argument through quite clearly. If anything, I'd suggest you think your responses through a little more.

If your goal is to support the PS4, virtually no one will be moved by their support of indie titles. What will move people is their console being DRM-free and, much more importantly, considered the definitive platform to play multiplats which is where the PS4's massive lead over Xbox One ACTUALLY came from.

SoulTrapper posted...
Indie games are, currently, something the ps4 has going for it, while xbox one is still waiting for the id@xbox thing to get off the ground.

Which is also irrelevant and will fail to excite undecideds to buy the Xbox which is all that matters this early into the console's lifespan. Microsoft should not be enticed to follow suit on the indie bandwagon and should just focus on releasing AAA titles and low-risk high-reward titles like Minecraft and the like. Titanfall was a good step in that direction and they should continue with more high-quality IP's like that. The money is in those titles and it's what consoles do best. Attempting to make any headway in the indie sector is a total waste of time, and a waste of money for loss leaders like consoles.

We're done. Feel free to get the last word.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#40ShadowNinja87Posted 3/25/2014 4:15:17 AM
Both are good systems and you can't go wrong with either one. But it depends on what your looking for. The ps4 is a powerhouse of a gaming system and media features as a after thought. The Xbox one wants to replace your cable box and other media features in the living room and play games second.