Could switching my ethernet cord between my One and 360 be causing strict NAT?

#1WinnsockPosted 3/25/2014 2:39:26 PM
I'll be the first to admit, I don't understand internet connections well and had never even heard of NAT until I got my Xbox One. From the very beginning, it's gone from strict to open from time to time, and I finally opened up the ports and set a static IP for my xbox one. It has been open since then, until yesterday. I've been playing Dark Souls II and plugging in my ethernet cable into the Xbox 360 when I do so. I do not use the wireless internet for my Xbox One. Could this be causing my issue?
---
GT: Winnsock
#2TheUltima8891Posted 3/25/2014 5:33:57 PM
Could possibly be an open port conflict on your router as both your 360 and X1 are trying to use the same ports that are required for XBL. I would suggest opening those Xbox Live ports on the device you use the most or are having the most issues with. Also, your current router settings could be reassigning your X1 local IP to your 360 accidentally via DHCP when you move your ethernet cable around, which is why your NAT status changes back and forth.

In short, you could mess around with your router to assign static IPs to certain devices via MAC addresses, use the wireless option on your X1, or buy another ethernet cable to hardwire both consoles.
---
&&&
#3p3r0x1d3Posted 3/25/2014 8:30:35 PM
you have a static ip setup for either the cabled connection or the wireless connection?

so basically when using the one you have the static ip setup for you will have open nat, when switching to a different type of connection that doesnt have a static ip setup, the ports will not be open and have a strict/closed nat.
#4CapwnDPosted 3/25/2014 9:12:20 PM(edited)
I wouldn't recommend all that unplugging of ethernet ports, it's bad for the port and the cable. But if you're going to do it, this is your best option:

You should clone the MAC address (much easier than it sounds) of one of the machines, so that they're the same MAC address. That would fix everything.

I have instructions typed out already for cloning MAC addresses for the 360, You'd just have to find out the MAC of the Xbox One.

Find the MAC on the Xbox One:
My Games and Apps>>Apps>>Settings>>Network>>Push down to Advanced Settings. You're looking for the Wired MAC address. Write that down.

Use The Xbox One's MAC address On the 360:
go to your Xbox 360>>system menu>>Network Settings>>Edit Settings>>Push to the right to get to Additional Settings, then push down to get to Advanced settings. Select "Alternate MAC Address" and enter your Xbox One's MAC address.

You can undo the above by simply wiping out the new MAC address that you gave to your 360. Or reset the network settings to factory default.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#5CapwnDPosted 3/25/2014 9:17:18 PM(edited)
Remember, if you do that you can't have both of them on at the same time. If you want both on at the same time, or if you want to do it the right way and have them both plugged in and not swap between them, then you need to reset the 360's network settings to factory default (can be done in the Network Settings section) and you may need to get a router that supports multiple Xboxes online at the same time. I nice cheap router is the RT-N16. Personally I liked it flashed with DDWRT(specifically the 14929 build, and you should disable the Logs and schedule it to reboot daily because of an issue with the NVRAM taking up too much space when UPNP is enabled) but you could use it as is with the Asus firmware.
---
#6rgwPosted 3/26/2014 1:24:00 AM
Should I just crimp this guy another cable and ship it to him?
---
rgw
--
#7CapwnDPosted 3/26/2014 5:58:10 AM
rgw posted...
Should I just crimp this guy another cable and ship it to him?

I'm guessing the problem is that he has one cable coming into the room from another room. I was going to suggest getting a swtich, but if he's happy switching cables, the cloned MAC address will eliminate the next problem he might have, which is where the router won't work well with two xboxes since both need to use port 3074.
---
#8Winnsock(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 6:21:40 AM
Thanks for the responses! I'm going to try copying the MAC address this afternoon and see what happens. I may also buy another Ethernet cable. And you're right, I have one running from another room lol
---
#9Winnsock(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 6:27:31 AM
If I get another Ethernet cord and copy the One's MAC to the 360, should I be good to go as long as I don't have both consoles on at the same time?
---
#10CRASS5000Posted 3/26/2014 7:17:25 AM
Just get an ethernet switch or another router for your room.
---
GT. CRASS RAT GT2. LBC iGoNegative
*Official Topic Killer*