Ground Zeroes ending and the gaming industry *spoilers*

#1psprulz2007Posted 3/25/2014 3:02:17 PM(edited)
Ok so I wont go into details within this post regarding the ending but the article Im posting contain spoilers and the discussion we may have after may contain spoilers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...-zeroes-ending

I think this article is the opposite of my opinion. I get people think the ending is unwarranted or "unearned". I think the ending as well as the theme/vibe in general is exactly what MGS needs to progress forward.

The person who wrote this article goes on to explain the reasons why the ending is "unearned" but again I disagree with what they say. According to her (the writer) the character development wasnt there enough for us gamers to feel for the character.

"there was not enough character development in Ground Zeroes for that – rather we are left in dumb shock at the information she imparted with her final words."

Or that she felt the Metal Gear Solid Universe is to odd for it to use such horrific events.

"The bottom line is, Kojima hasn’t become David Fincher overnight, and Ground Zeroes still has a whole bunch of goofy stuff in it to remind you that you’re playing a Metal Gear Solid game."

Again I completely disagree. The Metal Gear Solid Universe is odd and full of wacky things. But it has also introduced major political, ethical and moral themes. The Metal Gear Solid Series started when I was little. It was a basic (albit complicated) plot. As I grew up the game became more adult oriented and now Im a grown adult. So I see no reason why the Metal Gear Solid series cannot stretch the boundaries or become this mature. The fact that wacky events still occur in the game "to remind you that you're playing a Metal Gear Solid game" tell me that the game will still hold its fundamental characteristics while advancing towards a darker more mature tone.

The woman who wrote the article feels that the ending was a "plot device". Of course there was not a lot of character development. The game only lasted me 1.5 hours. I don't think Ground Zero was meant to be a character development introduction to MGS5. It was meant to introduce you to the darker tone, the gameplay changes and what to expect. The ending also served up a great omg I cant wait for the real deal to come out.

In no way do I feel the ending is done in poor taste, unearned or overdone. I think it hit everything perfectly. My opinion of Ground Zero as a whole is a well packaged but a huge tease. But it without a doubt proved to me that MGS5 will be everything that it can/needs to be to tastefully push the boundaries and advance story telling in a video game.

So with all that, how do you feel about the ending? Do you think videogames can grow in a mature manner in this respect? Or is this crossing the lines and should not be apart of the video game culture?
---
Xbox One- Feelinkorny
3DS- 1177-8568-8050
#2Jedi454Posted 3/25/2014 3:01:45 PM
It's a practice that should never be done in the gaming industry. WHY DID YOU SUPPORT KONAMI?
---
Fanboys are just children and grown men with neckbeards that live with their parents.
#3psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 3:04:48 PM
Jedi454 posted...
It's a practice that should never be done in the gaming industry. WHY DID YOU SUPPORT KONAMI?

Ill give you the benefit of a doubt and assume your talking about the dark mature tones and your not one of those "GZ is a demo, Konami is ripping you off boohoo" people. But I of course feel like Im mistaken.
---
Xbox One- Feelinkorny
3DS- 1177-8568-8050
#4Jedi454Posted 3/25/2014 3:06:48 PM
psprulz2007 posted...
Jedi454 posted...

Ill give you the benefit of a doubt and assume your talking about the dark mature tones and your not one of those "GZ is a demo, Konami is ripping you off boohoo" people. But I of course feel like Im mistaken.

GZ is a demo, do you want other companies to follow suit and start throwing prologues that should be in the main game up for retail?
---
Fanboys are just children and grown men with neckbeards that live with their parents.
#5psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 3:09:38 PM
Jedi454 posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
Jedi454 posted...

GZ is a demo, do you want other companies to follow suit and start throwing prologues that should be in the main game up for retail?

Could you be so kind as to actually respond to my thread and not derail it into another useless and mindless mess out it being a demo or not. Have you actually beat let alone played GZ? So you can actually respond my thread?
---
Xbox One- Feelinkorny
3DS- 1177-8568-8050
#6Jedi454Posted 3/25/2014 3:18:28 PM
psprulz2007 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
Jedi454 posted...

Could you be so kind as to actually respond to my thread and not derail it into another useless and mindless mess out it being a demo or not. Have you actually beat let alone played GZ? So you can actually respond my thread?

I've watched a livestream of the entire game + a couple missions.
---
#7psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 3:21:17 PM
Jedi454 posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
Jedi454 posted...

I've watched a livestream of the entire game + a couple missions.

So could you use what you watched via livestream and respond to my thread?
---
Xbox One- Feelinkorny
3DS- 1177-8568-8050
#8vormisPosted 3/25/2014 3:30:43 PM
This game is a huge surprise for me. I rented it, mainly due to the cost vs. length. However, I am still debating buying it. While the main game can be beaten in a couple of hours, the replay value really is gigantic. I've been playing it almost non-stop for 4 days. I actually prefer games like this over 50 hour marathon games like Skyrim. I honestly couldn't get through it.

GZ reminds me a bit of how games used to be. You get out of it what you put into it. Saying it's just a "2 hour game" is a bit silly unless you are a MGS badass who blasted through and unlocked everything Heman-style.

Saying that, I actually liked the ending. I think it was shocking enough to have an impact but also with a slight touch of emotional connection. While we didn't get a huge amount of time to connect with the characters, their physical appearances and stories did really leave an impression.

Granted, I think more connection could be found if every audio file, etc. is used but I doubt many will do that - I know I will.
#9KolanifvPosted 3/25/2014 3:40:39 PM
Resident Evil 1 and 2 have specific rewards for beating them in under two hours, and I never hear anyone complaining that they're short games.
#10SwiftXZPosted 3/25/2014 4:22:13 PM(edited)
I don't think it wasn't an earned ending, I mean it's MGS, there is plenty of backstory regardless of whether the player knows it or not, and probably the worst series to go into saying "gosh that really felt unnecessary".

The ending was meant to make your jaw hit the floor and get you pumped for Phantom Pain, which I feel it did perfectly. If people would actually play the game without trying to break some unwarrented world record, and could instead enjoy it they would see there is plenty of background, through cassette tapes, recordings and more that fill in and give more than enough information about the world Big Boss is living in.

I feel like the editor took it personal, doesn't know what she's talking about and really shouldn't be reviewing this game/series.
---
GT:SwiftXZ