Digital Sharing to Return

#1Enigma149Posted 3/26/2014 1:18:38 PM(edited)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/26/microsoft-hints-xbox-one-digital-sharing-could-return

Microsoft has said its original digital vision for Xbox One has not been forgotten, hinting that elements of the digital sharing feature could return.

Speaking to Gamespot, Xbox chief Phil Spencer suggested that the company is looking at ways to reintroduce ways to let you gift and loan titles digitally.

"We believe in a digital future on our box," Spencer said. "I know when I say this I always get beat up, but I think some of what we were trying to say last summer was right.

“We understand what games you own and who you are and how you move around and who you might want to loan rights to your games or gift your games to. We totally believe in that future. And any other marketplace you play in, these kind of mechanisms are out there.

"We are now fully heads down on thinking about and building out the future of our digital marketplace to enable what people would expect, and hopefully some things that will delight them beyond their expectations."

Looks like the "trolls" were right - now that they've sold enough, Microsoft's going back to their original plans with the Xbox One. Today, it's an emphasis on digital games. Tomorrow, the online check will come back.

Though I suppose this is all good, right? "Yay, DRM!", right?
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#2axelfooley2k5Posted 3/26/2014 1:21:18 PM
Yay, DRM!
---
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJAeD1f2YnI
#3aszsithPosted 3/26/2014 1:22:50 PM
I said it all along. And since half the games require online anyway, and that trend may only get worse, online check-in isnt so bad, especially if they make it where you dont need the online check-in if the disc is the drive or you are on the console the game was downloaded to first (which is the way they SHOULD do it if they bring it back).
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#4regsantotomasPosted 3/26/2014 1:25:46 PM
It seems to me that this emphasizes that while the hybrid model will continue to exist there will be an option available for digital purchases to have expanded flexibility.

Disc based games will still work offline but will not have the same sharing options.

I thought that the 24 hour requirement for owners was stringent but I don't have a problem if that only applied to digital games being shared.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#5Hidan623Posted 3/26/2014 1:27:02 PM
aszsith posted...
I said it all along. And since half the games require online anyway, and that trend may only get worse, online check-in isnt so bad, especially if they make it where you dont need the online check-in if the disc is the drive or you are on the console the game was downloaded to first (which is the way they SHOULD do it if they bring it back).

this idea is best.....i don't mind a check if i'm letting about 50 friends borrow a game their not trying to loose money however they did ask us to set up a home console so in my opinion the home console should never be asked for the online check but all other ones should. and disc based titles shouldn't either
#6axelfooley2k5Posted 3/26/2014 1:27:34 PM
Penello wanted to reiterate that Microsoft is wholesale committed to the console's current vision:

"The thing I want to be super explicit about, because I do think people are worried about, is once we made the decision to go to physical disc security, we're not unwinding that decision. We're committed to the physical disc; we're committed to trading and loaning. This is my official: 'We're not going back on that.' I don't want anybody to think we 'got' them, and then tomorrow I'm gonna go back to the old stuff, 'cause that's not gonna happen."

i doubt they would go back to no used games.....

the other stuff......sure why not
---
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJAeD1f2YnI
#7Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/26/2014 1:47:01 PM
if ms goes back on pennello's promise, then all the dumb analogies about wives and gfs thinking about cheating on you, would be instantly transformed into valid analogies, as far as actual xo owners are concerned. it would be amazing to see so much stupid discord, actually change into thoughtful discourse, all at once. but, i doubt it will ever happen.