What were the concequinces of not checking in on the original DMR system?

#21PStrifePosted 3/28/2014 9:46:08 AM
You could not do anything game wise, unless you were connected and had a fancy online code in the original concept. Basically they were trying to control you and your physical purchase completely.

Online passes for all!!
#22Gillian SeedPosted 3/28/2014 10:17:59 AM
Tyronelio1 posted...
So I may of been wrong but does anyone have any proof?

I'm sure a link is out there somewhere, but it might be hard to find. If you search for Xbox One DRM I'm sure most of the returns will be how the DRM was axed.

But, it is true that even physical games wouldn't be playable after 24 hours of not checking in online. The console doesn't even play games off the disc. At E3 one of the speakers said once you install the game you won't need the disc for anything anymore.

Before the DRM was axed the disc was never meant to be a way to authenticate ownership. If we could do that then I could tie the games to my gamertag, and I could play them as long as I'm connected to Live. Then I could sell the discs to people who will play them as long as they keep the disc in the tray.

If you are going to enable play without the disc needing to be in the tray then you need to disable the disc being used as authentication.
#23regsantotomasPosted 3/28/2014 10:38:43 AM
Gillian Seed posted...
Tyronelio1 posted...

I'm sure a link is out there somewhere, but it might be hard to find. If you search for Xbox One DRM I'm sure most of the returns will be how the DRM was axed.

But, it is true that even physical games wouldn't be playable after 24 hours of not checking in online. The console doesn't even play games off the disc. At E3 one of the speakers said once you install the game you won't need the disc for anything anymore.

Before the DRM was axed the disc was never meant to be a way to authenticate ownership. If we could do that then I could tie the games to my gamertag, and I could play them as long as I'm connected to Live. Then I could sell the discs to people who will play them as long as they keep the disc in the tray.

If you are going to enable play without the disc needing to be in the tray then you need to disable the disc being used as authentication.

^ That is correct. The original intention was that the discs would essentially be for installation purposes only and the same restrictions would have applied to disc based purchases as to digital download ones. And obviously, that would render them useless for resale later via trade-in.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#24rincewind1990Posted 3/28/2014 10:41:59 AM
Tyronelio1 posted...

At the bottom under Networking Requirements

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
#25Tyronelio1Posted 3/28/2014 10:43:01 AM
rincewind1990 posted...
Tyronelio1 posted...

At the bottom under Networking Requirements

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

Thank you!

There you have it brothers.
---
I wouldn't mind a game where I could be a Russian or North Korean character and shoot the us troops for once.
#26SupernautusPosted 3/28/2014 5:37:20 PM(edited)
Nobody actually knows, because it never happened. Besides, all it needed for you to do was connect online very briefly and then carry on playing. And you would be able to carry on playing your games the next time you connected even if that was a month later as long as you went online briefly first.