"Xbox Live Prepares To Warn and Punish Players with Bad Reputations"

#1KurtHecticPosted 3/26/2014 6:42:31 PM
Note: I apologize in advance if this is not the proper place to post. I do not post on this website often, and I am only somewhat familiar with proper board etiquette. The Xbox 360 board seems to be a ghost town, and this is more about Xbox Live, not necessarily a specific system. This more pertains to both 360 and XB1 players.

But my friend shared this news recently.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-live-prepares-to-warn-and-punish-players-with-bad-1552130975?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

I think a lot of players can suffer from this, regardless if you're innocent or if you're a modder/hacker/troll. With this new system, say Microsoft receives complaints about a particular player. How will MS know whether or not the complaints are justified (i.e. if said player is actually cheating) versus a player just playing by cheap means, or taking advantage of flaws in game mechanics? (I.E. quick scoping in COD, or turret spawn killing in Aliens: CM).

But what do y'all think? Will this new system actually do some good, or will it continue to be as ineffective as the original rep system?

This is just a friendly debate amongst gamers; food for thought. :)
#2BSerenityPosted 3/26/2014 6:44:32 PM
Nothing against you TC. Same topic, different website, same source.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#3ZEROthefirstPosted 3/26/2014 6:47:06 PM
It will probably be something like what's happening with Call of Duty right now. If you're cheating you get banned from the game, if you're not cheating an in a room with a cheater and don't know it then you're probably banned like a lot of people have been recently.
---
Nintendo Network/PSN ID: ZEROthefirst
3DS Friend Code: 1306-6232-5350
#4KurtHectic(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 6:59:09 PM
ZEROthefirst posted...
It will probably be something like what's happening with Call of Duty right now. If you're cheating you get banned from the game, if you're not cheating an in a room with a cheater and don't know it then you're probably banned like a lot of people have been recently.

It did get me thinking though, how will MS know the difference if a player is playing cheap, or actually cheating? Could someone potentially get reported for quick scoping and/or camping in COD, or turret spawn killing in Aliens: Colonial Marines (yes, I love the multiplayer in that game, don't judge me) Even though a lot of people hate being on the receiving end, I get bad rep for "unsporting conduct". Some of the things I do are cheap, yes, but I am not a cheater/modder/hacker. So theoretically with this new system, a bunch of butthurt people could kill someone's rep even if that person isn't cheating?

I smell shenanigans...
#5CharocksPosted 3/26/2014 7:03:56 PM
Just wait for all the unjustified bans to start rolling in which will force M$ to flipflop on yet another stupid policy.
---
Former Xbox Fan - A Flying Ewok
Official Arrow in the Knee of the Skyrim board (360)
#6Big FanPosted 3/26/2014 7:06:51 PM
Charocks posted...
Just wait for all the unjustified bans to start rolling in which will force M$ to flipflop on yet another stupid policy.

Is it really necessary to use the $?
---
GT: Code XxX
Miami Dolphins
#7PorungaPosted 3/26/2014 7:07:55 PM
If this board is any indication, there are quite a few people in for a bad time.
#8Smash_thr_NSAPosted 3/26/2014 7:09:04 PM
Hmm
#9KurtHectic(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 9:19:24 AM
I heard somewhere that supposedly there will be failsafes in this new system to check whether or not a person is cheating, or is just a better player. Any idea how they would check for this? And even if you're not cheating and you get reported, your rep can still go down?
#10Tyronelio1Posted 3/27/2014 9:20:58 AM
Since when was the 360 board a ghost town?
---
I wouldn't mind a game where I could be a Russian or North Korean character and shoot the us troops for once.