Does Microsofts new rep system censor freedom of speech?

#101cheezedadadaPosted 3/28/2014 11:23:14 AM(edited)
NeoMonk posted...
cheezedadada posted...
It's a moot point. You forfeit rights like that when you agree to the ToS if applicable.
This is the same rules the police use when they stop you as you're walking the sidewalk...
You looking suspicious to them for being black or brown = your problem.

I'm glad we're all becoming lil narcs as children are indoctrinated at an early age to do so.

A policeman racially profiling someone is the same situation as someone agreeing to terms and conditions of a private service? That seems so far off base that I don't even know where to begin, sorry.

Lets avoid turning a ToS agreement discussion into a race discussion (or whatever it was that just happened). They couldn't be any further apart and I honestly don't see how someone could jump to that conclusion?
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and handhelds. Yay for options.
#102dionysis1200Posted 3/28/2014 11:26:57 AM
Your using a service feom a privately owned company. They have the right to regulate speech on their service. Your first amendment rights do not apply.
---
PC rig - AMD Phenom 925 x4@2.8 ghz, 4GB 1033 DDR3, HIS iceqx turbo RADEON 6850, Corsair GS700 PSU, 1TB HDD, Windows 7.
#103Viper187666Posted 3/29/2014 11:17:38 AM(edited)
dionysis1200 posted...
Your using a service feom a privately owned company. They have the right to regulate speech on their service. Your first amendment rights do not apply.

People also have the right to stop using the service until the company respects their free speech, but there are too many sheep that just live with it or even support censorship nowadays to get the job done. Privately owned or not, nobody should be able to piss on the first amendment. Unfortunately, we'll never see people truly stand up for freedom any more.

When an adult buys an M rated game, should have every expectation of being able to say what they want, as well as actually be matched with other adults. Microsoft needs to stop with this joke of a rep system and give people an "avoid player" option that actually works, as well as ensuring adults match with adults and kids on family accounts match with each other.

---
I refuse to buy XB1 until it's sold without Kinect. No, I'm not a Sony fanboy. See? http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#104CammyApplePosted 3/29/2014 11:19:19 AM
joeymegs posted...
I have to see the system implemented. I also can't help but feel as if this maybe be an intrusion of my first amendment right.

First amendment does not work that way.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#105CammyApplePosted 3/29/2014 11:20:53 AM
Viper187666 posted...
dionysis1200 posted...

People also have the right to stop using the service until the company respects their free speech, but there are too many sheep that just live with it or even support censorship nowadays to get the job done. Privately owned or not, nobody should be able to piss on the first amendment. Unfortunately, we'll never see people truly stand up for freedom any more.

When an adult buys an M rated game, should have every expectation of being able to say what they want, as well as actually be matched with other adults. Microsoft needs to stop with this joke of a rep system and give people an "avoid player" option that actually works, as well as ensuring adults match with adults and kids on family accounts match with each other.

Freedom of speech is not a "right" that extends into the private sector.

Do people really not understand what the First Amendment is or actually does?
---
#106CammyApplePosted 3/29/2014 11:22:11 AM
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
---
#107Soar2344Posted 3/29/2014 11:32:31 AM
When you signed up for Xbox Live you did give up your freedom of speech in the ToS. So yeah I do believe they have a right to do this.
---
Official Latios of the Pokemon X and Y board
3DS FC: 2208-6484-2512
#108snowboard340Posted 3/29/2014 12:23:36 PM
Viper187666 posted...
dionysis1200 posted...

Why are you using this website then? It supposedly restricts your freedom of speech.
#109FinzFan4lifePosted 3/29/2014 12:56:51 PM
okay one more time for the slow people

Freedom of speech is to protect you backlash from the government, but even then thats not there anymore.

Using a Private service such as but not limited to: PSN,XBL,Gamefaqs,IGN, you are agreeing not to be a disruptive, member of that community, and if you decide to be that member then they can take corrective action against you. Gamefaqs already does this if you insult someone when they are being mentally handicapped.

MS is getting huge backlash cause people not knowing actual law and trying to be lawyers and crying foul. Ask Imis how Freedom of speech doesn't apply in cases when you are representing a company.

As members of these communities you Represent these companies and they have the right to punish you to their extent if you are bringing a bad image to their company, which right now is putting you into lobbies with people like you, and keeping your toxic attitude off twitch cause you can't act civil.

Everything does it MS is informing you, do you honestly think Sony doesn't have a plan like this set to come out soon. The idea is to make the community fun place to be I hate playing with jerks, granted I mute them.

Not censoring freedom of speech not even close.

Also I would be willing to bet MS has a measure in place to prevent someone from just reporting you cause you beat them.
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#110Orange_ApplesPosted 3/29/2014 1:25:06 PM
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything you want. It means the government will not actively go out to stop you from saying things the government doesn't like. A private company can limit that speech especially if you are using their product and or services.