Does Microsofts new rep system censor freedom of speech?

#51SudiekenPosted 3/27/2014 2:10:15 PM
99% of players don't feel like navigating through the menus to take action against you. If you get punished you deserve it.
#52malrothPosted 3/27/2014 2:17:33 PM
No. It censors your ability to be a d**k.
---
3DS FC: 5198-3053-8024
#53motosyko21Posted 3/27/2014 2:19:07 PM
These rules wouldn't be necessary if some people could control their gamer rage and stop sending poison messages whenever a game doesn't go their way. Anonymity allows for such ignorant things.
#54RybalPosted 3/27/2014 2:40:44 PM
Tyronelio1 posted...
Let's rise up against these corporations, show them what people power can do! USA USA USA!
---
I wouldn't mind a game where I could be a Russian or North Korean character and shoot the us troops for once.

I'll admit - I had to laugh when I saw the statement combined with the sig.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#55KconvPosted 3/27/2014 2:40:56 PM
the rep system has nothing to do with what you say, how you act or anything other than you beating someone who downvotes you for beating them.
#56RybalPosted 3/27/2014 2:43:51 PM
cheezedadada posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
cheezedadada posted...
It's a moot point. You forfeit rights like that when you agree to the ToS if applicable. Same thing happens on Gamefaqs. You can say whatever you want, but the moderators can remove that message if its against their rules. Freedom of speech doesn't apply in situations like these nor does it mean what most people assume it means.
moot means "up for debate." otherwise, you're right. i'd like to see some of these yes-votes walk into someone else's home, and test their so-called free speech rights. :)

I've always known moot to have more than one meaning. Especially in legal terms?

Moot:
-of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.
-Chiefly Law. not actual;
-(without relevance): irrelevant

I honestly think it applies here, but I could be wrong?

..but yeah like Ellesarien said, its either people trying to make Microsoft look like the big bad guy or people who truly don't understand free speech rights and/or Terms of Service agreements etc.

Wow - I just looked that up. Apparently, the word "moot" has conflicting meanings and can mean either definition.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#57Fou LuPosted 3/27/2014 2:44:13 PM
The internet is not the USA. There is no such thing as "free speech" on the internet, so nope, they can do whatever they like. You never had freedom of speech to begin with.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#58rgwPosted 3/27/2014 2:47:59 PM
The first amendment only provides the right to expression free of government intervention. It isn't a carte blanche to say whatever wherever you want
---
rgw
--
#59mjc0961Posted 3/27/2014 2:58:16 PM
No, because freedom of speech doesn't exist on Xbox Live. Freedom of speech exists only to prevent the government from censoring you. Microsoft is not a government, they are a company. And when you sign up for their service, you are agreeing to follow the rules of that service. If you don't, they have the right to censor you or terminate you from their service.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#60blingusPosted 3/27/2014 3:00:24 PM
Ellesarien posted...
Ellesarien posted...
We need a new Poll :

% of Americans that truly have no idea what the 1st amendment entails :

0%
1%
2%
5%

lninjasonicl posted...
Ellesarien posted...
We need a new Poll :

% of Americans that truly have no idea what the 1st amendment entails :

0%
1%
2%
5%

The right to bear arms

RAWWWRRR

Hehe..Seriously. The family guy episode about it was so perfect :

"Do you think this is confusing at all?"

"No, I think it is clear...Everyone has the right to hang a pair of bare arms on their walls"

OMG this totally made lol irl.
---
7200rpm 320GB(OG 60)+320GB Slim PS3s, Reach 360, Wii,Modded Xbox, Black DC+Saturn, Panasonic Q, PSP, 64GB iPhone 4S+128GB iPad Air, 3DS XL, Vita, Wii U, PS4, X1