Does Microsofts new rep system censor freedom of speech?

#71Rishah0078Posted 3/27/2014 4:47:42 PM
As of me writing this, 149 people don't understand the first amendment. This in no way infringes on your right to say what you want. You have a right to say what you want without the government punishing you, but you are not entitled to freely say anything you want without facing backlash in the private sector. A company is more than welcome to dictate how its services are used when it affects other people. If you can't play without raging, just don't abuse the services they offer.

Kconv posted...
the rep system has nothing to do with what you say, how you act or anything other than you beating someone who downvotes you for beating them.

This is a ridiculous statement. I don't think I've ever downvoted someone I lost to (I know at least I didn't do it because I lost), but I've reported on multiple occasions people who send me ridiculously aggressive messages for no other reason than they've gone out of their way to try to harass me. I'm sure a lot of people do downvote for losing (I have been reported for cheating multiple times based on... Honestly, I have no idea, I'm not even overly good at games I play online), but to say it has NOTHING to do with your general behavior is a gross overstatement.
#72imagine606Posted 3/27/2014 4:50:04 PM
aszsith posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
aszsith posted...
MonadAlvis posted...
Does it censor freedom of speech? Yes. Is Microsoft obligated to offer your freedom of speech on their privately-owned servers? No.

You got that completely backwards actually.

Is Microsoft obligated to offer your freedom of speech on their privately-owned servers? Yes. Does it censor freedom of speech? No

No they aren't obligated to offer you freedom of speech.

A service offered in America is most certainly obligated to follow the laws of the land. Under the First Amendment your freedom of speech is protected and therefore Microsoft is required to not prohibit that freedom. A TOS contract cannot prohibit a right simply through an inclusionary statement without becoming void, nor does the Microsoft Xbox Live TOS attempt to do so.

The issue here is that this situation has nothing to do with the First Amendment in any way.

Wrong, I guess I'll have to copy and paste the first amendment since you have no clue as to what it says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The bold part shows where you are wrong. Companies are not congress, they have the right to make whatever rules they want as long as they don't violate human rights.
#73imagine606Posted 3/27/2014 4:53:10 PM
Rishah0078 posted...
As of me writing this, 149 people don't understand the first amendment. This in no way infringes on your right to say what you want. You have a right to say what you want without the government punishing you, but you are not entitled to freely say anything you want without facing backlash in the private sector. A company is more than welcome to dictate how its services are used when it affects other people. If you can't play without raging, just don't abuse the services they offer.

Kconv posted...
the rep system has nothing to do with what you say, how you act or anything other than you beating someone who downvotes you for beating them.

This is a ridiculous statement. I don't think I've ever downvoted someone I lost to (I know at least I didn't do it because I lost), but I've reported on multiple occasions people who send me ridiculously aggressive messages for no other reason than they've gone out of their way to try to harass me. I'm sure a lot of people do downvote for losing (I have been reported for cheating multiple times based on... Honestly, I have no idea, I'm not even overly good at games I play online), but to say it has NOTHING to do with your general behavior is a gross overstatement.

Glad that there's people like you out there that actually understand what freedom of speech is in America.

As for that whole online thing, one of the many reasons that I just don't play anything online.
#74xcmon3yx2Posted 3/27/2014 5:04:46 PM(edited)
private organizations, clubs, ect are not bound by the bill of rights.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xcmon3yx777,(3DS FC: 5257-9927-9011), (Steam: xcmon3yx2), (XBL: HakudoshiV77360), (WoW: xcmon3yx2#1204)
#75ElemayowePosted 3/27/2014 5:09:19 PM
Do anti racism laws affect free speech?

The answer is no, because a decent human being won't be farting out hate slurs to people of black, asian, middle eastern or even white people. And anyone who does deserves the punishment. I'm sorry TC if you feel your rights are being violated because you can't explicitly describe the events that yourself and my mother partook in the previous night, after I thrash you in a game of attrition, but that's the (sometimes overly) sensitive world we live in, where people are jerks and need to be kept in check.
---
XBL: DeathOnSkates 3DS: 0602 - 6733 - 6087
#76Lord ZhouYuPosted 3/27/2014 5:14:50 PM
"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean you're free to say, do, or express anything and everything you can possibly think of without any restraint.

Somehow, I just can't take someone bringing discussion about a game system and the freedom of speech together in the same topic seriously.
---
James and Aidrianna Ruglia: Balmung
#77PominAusPosted 3/27/2014 5:23:25 PM(edited)
joeymegs posted...
I'm well aware of what the first amendment right entails. I also know that by agreeing to the ToU that I basically give up those rights. Which is why I created the poll. Who feels it's ok, who dosent like it, and who needs to see it in action. I need to see it in action. If I swear (and I do) and get a bad reputation than that's kinda stupid. If it's more for cheaters and people using racial slurs than I'm ok with that.

I too can be quite colourful with my language on occasion. I also need to see how the system is implemented first. Cussing is pretty standard in Australia (perhaps over-generalising). When I play online it seems every other spoken word is either s*** or c***, if this system punishes you for cussing there'll likely be fewer people to play with.
#78aheroafakePosted 3/27/2014 5:27:03 PM
cheezedadada posted...
It's a moot point. You forfeit rights like that when you agree to the ToS if applicable. Same thing happens on Gamefaqs. You can say whatever you want, but the moderators can remove that message if its against their rules. Freedom of speech doesn't apply in situations like these nor does it mean what most people assume it means.

---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#79IroncondorzPosted 3/27/2014 5:32:44 PM
Even when speaking of the government, freedom of speech doesn't protect hate or disruptive speech, libel, inciting riots, etc...
#80IChoseNotToRunPosted 3/27/2014 5:37:18 PM
cheezedadada posted...
It's a moot point. You forfeit rights like that when you agree to the ToS if applicable. Same thing happens on Gamefaqs. You can say whatever you want, but the moderators can remove that message if its against their rules. Freedom of speech doesn't apply in situations like these nor does it mean what most people assume it means.

I like you.
---
PSN & Steam:RandomHero96
3DS FC: 0817-3756-9360