My opinion? Microsoft is too overt.

#21RybalPosted 3/28/2014 7:36:07 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
What I'm getting at is that the counter-proposal is that they "be more like Sony", only Sony has the SAME ITERATIVE PROCESS, only they have no terms and conditions, internal or external, to announce whatever they don't feel is in their best interests. They can cherry-pick the good and omit the bad, they can market a game 2 weeks from release by showing a concept sketch if they wished.

Could you give some examples of when Sony has done this?

SigmaLongshot posted...
Let me give some context. In the light of recent talks on forums about Microsoft "shooting themselves in the foot at every avenue, I thought I'd explain the iterative process Microsoft chooses to use. They release information, positive or negative regardless, at developmental milestones. Explaining DRM? Announcement. Releasing new exclusive? Announcement. Change in policy?

The problem wasn't the announcements. It was that the announcements only told a fraction of their story. Because they didn't actually explain themselves, people assumed the worst. When they DID respond, they were condescending towards their target audience.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#22BSerenityPosted 3/28/2014 7:52:26 AM
My first post was mocking? I admit it was crass. Attacking? Not at all. One liner? I guess. Definitely not mocking him. I have no issue with Sigma. I do find his topics interesting when he can stay on topic. It is nice to see a different perspective on the board.

My first post wasn't even against Sigma.

I am innocent on the mocking and attacking like another poster claim. However, my intent of my first post was unclear, so I do apologize for that.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#23Evel138Posted 3/28/2014 8:01:48 AM
The masses want to be lied to....just look at the state of American politics.

They want sweet nothings whispered softly into their ear....grand visions that may never come true.

So what did ever happen to "Home" anyway..........
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 The Badguy
PS4360One
#24BSerenityPosted 3/28/2014 8:09:10 AM
Evel138 posted...

They want sweet nothings whispered softly into their ear....grand visions that may never come true.

"Home"?
---
#25Evel138Posted 3/28/2014 8:10:11 AM
BSerenity posted...
Evel138 posted...

"Home"?

Exactly.
---
PS4360One
#26EllesarienPosted 3/28/2014 8:11:54 AM
Evel138 posted...
BSerenity posted...
Evel138 posted...

"Home"?

Exactly.

Hehe...That was akin to hitting a 75MPH fastball over the center field wall for a grand slam.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#27BSerenityPosted 3/28/2014 8:13:18 AM
Evel138 posted...
BSerenity posted...
Evel138 posted...

"Home"?

Exactly.

Hmm... Okay.
---
#28SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 8:14:52 AM
Rybal posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
What I'm getting at is that the counter-proposal is that they "be more like Sony", only Sony has the SAME ITERATIVE PROCESS, only they have no terms and conditions, internal or external, to announce whatever they don't feel is in their best interests. They can cherry-pick the good and omit the bad, they can market a game 2 weeks from release by showing a concept sketch if they wished.

Could you give some examples of when Sony has done this?

SigmaLongshot posted...
Let me give some context. In the light of recent talks on forums about Microsoft "shooting themselves in the foot at every avenue, I thought I'd explain the iterative process Microsoft chooses to use. They release information, positive or negative regardless, at developmental milestones. Explaining DRM? Announcement. Releasing new exclusive? Announcement. Change in policy?

The problem wasn't the announcements. It was that the announcements only told a fraction of their story. Because they didn't actually explain themselves, people assumed the worst. When they DID respond, they were condescending towards their target audience.

Sure. The comments are too early to cite if they'll come true for the PS4, but for the PS3 Sony followed proof of concept based on statements alone and did not address any of the following;

"Here is a small sampling of in-game, ACTUAL GAMEPLAY footage showing the PS3's capabilities, of future franchises you'll only play on PS3."

(Kaz Hirai then showed Eyedentity, Killing Day, Eight Days, Ni-Oh, etc - games that did not, and would not exist. The only game with genuine footage was Eight Days, which had a fake UI on top of FMV).

"PS3 will have standard WiFi, two HDMI ports, full backwards compatibility and 7-player controller support."

(This was the official proof of concept statement used even until launch. Upon questioning they brought up their ToS statin they use conditional iterative marketing, and as far as they intended, this "vision" of PS3 was the real one).

"PS3 and future Sony consoles will run games at 120fps, stream six channels of HD, and decode one thousand thumbnails simultaneously."

(Kaz Hirai and Phil Harrison later mentioned that this was the proof of concept"goal", and that they never lied about the systems or their abilities as it was "all within viable aim by Sony's vision and terms").

But PS3 hokum aside, they already made this same blunder a few times this generation albeit to a much lesser degree (The Killzone "padded specs" stuff). Sony still maintain that the specifications were accurate "to the original aim of the project."

What I'm getting at is, Microsoft just says, "crap, we screwed up. It's probably not going to look as good as we thought", whilst Sony maintain their right to play their iterative licensing card because they're still "striving towards the original vision".
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#29GondolinRisesPosted 3/28/2014 8:21:12 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
Yes, how very droll, Sigma always uses Tur Muny Wurds, and it's hilarious you fixate on that. Or perhaps it's that I'm actually invested in researching the items I post about instead of being a kneejerk?

Whatever it is, my only intention is at least pseudo-intelligent discussion and debate, not just crass, wry one-liners and personal attacks.

Microsoft isn't being too honest. If they hadn't revealed their anti-consumer design choices they never would have had time or the feedback to reverse to the more used to console model. In short, their honesty helped them. Hiding facts from consumers will only hurt your business. The real blame comes from the design team and whoever okay'd those design details in the first place, not their company policy.
---
Can't keep a good man down. More Fe + C than you.
#30Evel138Posted 3/28/2014 8:23:00 AM
Yeah, trying to pass that Killzone trailer off as gameplay....what was it, E3 '05? Classic.

As shown above, SONY has a long history of throwing the concepts out there, but not always delivering on them (nor seemingly held accountable by their most devoted fans).

"You made me promises promises....you knew you'd never keep"
---
PS4360One