My opinion? Microsoft is too overt.

#31BSerenityPosted 3/28/2014 7:32:48 AM
There is no overt admittance from either of them. Playing one side is laughable in this situation.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#32Laylow12Posted 3/28/2014 7:40:41 AM
Microsoft honest? Lol, have you heard of them saying the cloud would give every XBOX ONE the CPU of four XBOX ONES? Show me a comparative claim that Sony made to sell the PS4; hint, you can't.

http://www.totalxbox.com/54748/xbox-one-specs-are-boosted-by-the-equivalent-of-three-xbox-ones-in-the-cloud/

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#33GondolinRisesPosted 3/28/2014 7:41:50 AM
Laylow12 posted...
Microsoft honest? Lol, have you heard of them saying the cloud would give every XBOX ONE the CPU of four XBOX ONES? Show me a comparative claim that Sony made to sell the PS4; hint, you can't.

http://www.totalxbox.com/54748/xbox-one-specs-are-boosted-by-the-equivalent-of-three-xbox-ones-in-the-cloud/

Ouch.
---
Can't keep a good man down. More Fe + C than you.
#34RybalPosted 3/28/2014 8:00:39 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
Rybal posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
What I'm getting at is that the counter-proposal is that they "be more like Sony", only Sony has the SAME ITERATIVE PROCESS, only they have no terms and conditions, internal or external, to announce whatever they don't feel is in their best interests. They can cherry-pick the good and omit the bad, they can market a game 2 weeks from release by showing a concept sketch if they wished.

Could you give some examples of when Sony has done this?

SigmaLongshot posted...
Let me give some context. In the light of recent talks on forums about Microsoft "shooting themselves in the foot at every avenue, I thought I'd explain the iterative process Microsoft chooses to use. They release information, positive or negative regardless, at developmental milestones. Explaining DRM? Announcement. Releasing new exclusive? Announcement. Change in policy?

The problem wasn't the announcements. It was that the announcements only told a fraction of their story. Because they didn't actually explain themselves, people assumed the worst. When they DID respond, they were condescending towards their target audience.

Sure. The comments are too early to cite if they'll come true for the PS4, but for the PS3 Sony followed proof of concept based on statements alone and did not address any of the following;

"Here is a small sampling of in-game, ACTUAL GAMEPLAY footage showing the PS3's capabilities, of future franchises you'll only play on PS3."

(Kaz Hirai then showed Eyedentity, Killing Day, Eight Days, Ni-Oh, etc - games that did not, and would not exist. The only game with genuine footage was Eight Days, which had a fake UI on top of FMV).

"PS3 will have standard WiFi, two HDMI ports, full backwards compatibility and 7-player controller support."

(This was the official proof of concept statement used even until launch. Upon questioning they brought up their ToS statin they use conditional iterative marketing, and as far as they intended, this "vision" of PS3 was the real one).

"PS3 and future Sony consoles will run games at 120fps, stream six channels of HD, and decode one thousand thumbnails simultaneously."

(Kaz Hirai and Phil Harrison later mentioned that this was the proof of concept"goal", and that they never lied about the systems or their abilities as it was "all within viable aim by Sony's vision and terms").

But PS3 hokum aside, they already made this same blunder a few times this generation albeit to a much lesser degree (The Killzone "padded specs" stuff). Sony still maintain that the specifications were accurate "to the original aim of the project."

What I'm getting at is, Microsoft just says, "crap, we screwed up. It's probably not going to look as good as we thought", whilst Sony maintain their right to play their iterative licensing card because they're still "striving towards the original vision".

But that was at their initial launch. You claimed that they used original concept stuff even a couple of weeks before games came out. THAT is the type of thing that I was looking for.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#35Illogical_PoetPosted 3/28/2014 8:14:57 AM
Great post Sigma, good discussion as always (ignore the uneducated trolls). Microsoft def is a tad too overt sometimes. I wish they would jut shut up sometimes until they can figure stuff out.
---
GT: "III RHIN0 III"
Life, is a state of mind.
#36Doktor_KaboomPosted 3/28/2014 8:18:22 AM
I think they're both full of it. Both consoles made promises that probably won't come to fruition. And both are like "we have this" which in reality may come in a patch years from now.

I blame a lot of it on the ability to patch and update. While this is and should be a good thing it's being used to release unfinished games and incomplete consoles while being able to say, "yeah, that thing I promised you may eventually be there."

tl;dr
Both companies make false promises to promote their products.
---
Now I lay me down to sleep, Bottle of whiskey by my feet. If I die before I wake, tell my friends I drank it straight.
#37SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 8:21:55 AM
It's not a topic about lies; it's a topic about representation and frequency of announcement.

The terms of Microsoft's iterative process is to declare everything, good and bad, inane and profound. Sony vets it's announcements, contrastingly, almost too much, to the point where it seems like information retention.

That's the point here.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#38BSerenityPosted 3/28/2014 8:23:51 AM
Doktor_Kaboom posted...
I think they're both full of it. Both consoles made promises that probably won't come to fruition. And both are like "we have this" which in reality may come in a patch years from now.

I blame a lot of it on the ability to patch and update. While this is and should be a good thing it's being used to release unfinished games and incomplete consoles while being able to say, "yeah, that thing I promised you may eventually be there."

tl;dr
Both companies make false promises to promote their products.

Exactly.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#39da_StoOgePosted 3/28/2014 8:31:20 AM(edited)
MS still insist that the only reason we didn't want the DRM was because we didn't understand it, and they're still trying to spin it and claim both consoles are equally powerful.

SONY lied through their teeth with the PS3 launch and MS is doing the exact same thing now.

Being too honest is not a problem MS is experiencing right now. Quite the opposite, IMO.
---
My sig. Please don't mark it as being offensive.
#40Doktor_KaboomPosted 3/28/2014 9:15:27 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
It's not a topic about lies; it's a topic about representation and frequency of announcement.

The terms of Microsoft's iterative process is to declare everything, good and bad, inane and profound. Sony vets it's announcements, contrastingly, almost too much, to the point where it seems like information retention.

That's the point here.

While the opening post was informative you later blamed the drm fiasco on this. There's no way they could have held that info until release. Instead of hurting the xbox one it would have killed it.

Also I realize I was slightly off in my original post (but not too much). I saw that I was about to go on a sermon and just cut it short lol.
---
Now I lay me down to sleep, Bottle of whiskey by my feet. If I die before I wake, tell my friends I drank it straight.