Square Enix: the new games we'll be developing from this point on... heavy JRPGs

#1regsantotomasPosted 3/31/2014 9:52:38 AM
As reported by Kotaku:

"Due to having split [the development mindset] according to regions around the world, we weren't able to see this clearly up until now, but fans of JRPGs are really spread around the world," Square Enix head honcho Yosuke Matsuda told Nikkei (as translated by Siliconera).P

You'd think the worldwide success of all those other RPGs over the past two decades might have tipped them off, but hey. Never too late to change your ways. Now here's the money quote...

"For the new games we'll be developing from this point on," Matsuda said, "while this may sound a bit extreme, we've been talking about making them as heavy JRPGs. I believe that way, we can better focus on our target, which will also bring better results."

Maybe finally a traditional console Dragon Quest will come.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#2Tyronelio1Posted 3/31/2014 9:55:07 AM
All this means is that we will be getting KH3 and FF15.

Unless they come out with a huge surprise.

Oh and maybe bravely default 2.
#3regsantotomas(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 9:57:58 AM
It just sounds more than a bit surprising that the company that prospered from the popularity of JRPGs all but abandoned the formula that has made them successful.

Certainly, they can't produce the sheer number of JRPG games as in past generations but one would think they would have invested more in past few years.

I don't understand how they can say now they hear fans. As if fans weren't clamoring for these games already?
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#4Tyronelio1Posted 3/31/2014 9:58:51 AM
What was the last non jrpg game they made?
#5regsantotomas(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 10:03:31 AM
Well, I think that their focus has been splintered across mobile devices and pseudo-remakes on those devices.

I think that the news above seems to indicate a return to a heavier investment in console JRPGs which have been relatively few and far between.

Let's not also forget that Square has been publishing lots of other games - some of them great like Tomb Raider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_games
---
#6BSerenityPosted 3/31/2014 10:16:34 AM
As long as SE doesn't go back to turn based or random enemy encounters not seen on screen. Then all is good.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#7omega1110Posted 3/31/2014 10:30:54 AM
Hope this does mean more console RPGs from them, I'm a big fan of Square's and Enix's past games and would love to see another console Dragon Quest. I always found it odd that Square and Enix the biggest two JRpg companies merged and console Rpgs fell to the wayside outside of Final Fantasy for the most part.
---
" I thought you were going to fight alone; I
said come alone...I didn't say anything about me." G.O.B.
#8SigmaLongshotPosted 3/31/2014 10:34:32 AM
Damn, I wanted more All The Bravest characters, my bank balance isn't empty yet!
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#9Tyronelio1Posted 3/31/2014 10:36:24 AM
I wouldn't mind a dissidia final fantasy 3 with kingdom hearts characters and story set/gameplay like the second on consoles.

Pls square.
#10BSerenityPosted 3/31/2014 10:37:07 AM
Tyronelio1 posted...
I wouldn't mind a dissidia final fantasy 3 with kingdom hearts characters and story set/gameplay like the second on consoles.

Pls square.

Only for Vita.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.