Hesitant on hooking my DirecTV to my Xbone. As it requires IR remote setup

#1Melon_MasterPosted 3/31/2014 4:42:19 PM
With the advent of RF remotes, why would Microsoft force me to go back to crummy old line of slight IR??
Being able to change channels while being in the kitchen or even not requiring the remote being pointed at the box is nice. No having to angle the remote to change channels.. >__<
Is there any news on there being a change, or is this permanent? :/
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
3DS FC: 1607-1928-5887
#2chuckboston2k3Posted 3/31/2014 4:46:51 PM
Get a Harmony Ultimate setup = problem solved.

Also, you can control your set top box with the Xbox One Guide, as well as your voice, as well as Smart Glass, as well as the controller.

I don't see a need for RF.
---
Gaming since the early 80's
XBL: CallMeMrBrandt PSN: OptimusDad
#3Melon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 4:56:56 PM
chuckboston2k3 posted...

Also, you can control your set top box with the Xbox One Guide, as well as your voice, as well as Smart Glass, as well as the controller.

Really? I don't know much about how they require set up between the two, I've just seen a few mention it needs IR. :/
I just bought my Xbox One, any chance you could go into more detail? Feel free to dumb it down. :x
---
#4Melon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 10:52:09 PM
Bump
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.14
#5aszsithPosted 3/31/2014 11:13:55 PM
The Kinect is an IR blaster. Once set up, you can control your box and tv with your voice, gestures, smart glass, and controller all without line of sight from your person as the XBOne sends the signal via the IR blast from the Kinect which is in the same room as the box and has "line of sight" for it via the blast.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#6Melon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 11:27:19 PM
aszsith posted...
The Kinect is an IR blaster. Once set up, you can control your box and tv with your voice, gestures, smart glass, and controller all without line of sight from your person as the XBOne sends the signal via the IR blast from the Kinect which is in the same room as the box and has "line of sight" for it via the blast.

But what about my DirecTV box? It is either one or the other, IR or RF only. After I set it up, I'd need to switch it back to RF. :/
---
#7Sith JediPosted 3/31/2014 11:30:52 PM
Melon_Master posted...
chuckboston2k3 posted...

Really? I don't know much about how they require set up between the two, I've just seen a few mention it needs IR. :/
I just bought my Xbox One, any chance you could go into more detail? Feel free to dumb it down. :x

Basically...it'll control anything in your house that uses a remote: IR, RF or Bluetooth. Besides simply controlling the devices, you can setup different modes. For example: Watch TV, hit one button and it'll do something like:

Turn tv on
Change to the correct input
Switch picture mode to movie
Turn on audio receiver and change to the correct input
Dim the lights (if you have remote lights)

All with one button press. You can make a button do a string of key presses too; so if your TV can't go directly to a certain input (some crappy Insignia TVs can't) you can make a button do: Source, down, down, enter.

If you have an even slightly complex entertainment center, they're a great buy. I have the Harmony 650 which is one of the lower tier remotes and it's still awesome. They go through batteries pretty fast though...I get somewhere around 2-3 months per pair.

This has more info:

http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-harmony-ultimate/
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#8Melon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 11:41:31 PM
Sith Jedi posted...
Melon_Master posted...
chuckboston2k3 posted...

Basically...it'll control anything in your house that uses a remote: IR, RF or Bluetooth. Besides simply controlling the devices, you can setup different modes. For example: Watch TV, hit one button and it'll do something like:

Turn tv on
Change to the correct input
Switch picture mode to movie
Turn on audio receiver and change to the correct input
Dim the lights (if you have remote lights)

All with one button press. You can make a button do a string of key presses too; so if your TV can't go directly to a certain input (some crappy Insignia TVs can't) you can make a button do: Source, down, down, enter.

If you have an even slightly complex entertainment center, they're a great buy. I have the Harmony 650 which is one of the lower tier remotes and it's still awesome. They go through batteries pretty fast though...I get somewhere around 2-3 months per pair.

This has more info:

http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-harmony-ultimate/

I'll look into it. >__>b
Until then, any chance I could get the Xbox One voice commands working with DirecTV, and switch to RF after setup and still have it work?
Once my wife found out I bought an XBOne, she's complaining due to it's not set up with the satellite.. (Mainly because she's 36 weeks pregnant) So any assistance would keep me from being nagged tomorrow. :x
---
#9aszsithPosted 3/31/2014 11:44:48 PM
Melon_Master posted...
aszsith posted...

But what about my DirecTV box? It is either one or the other, IR or RF only. After I set it up, I'd need to switch it back to RF. :/

The XBOne supports both IR and RF. For example, I use it via RF while I control it with my Harmony Smart Remote. I'm not sure how compatible it is with your specific device. You could test it out and see. It's not like you are forced to keep either setting.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#10Melon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 11:51:45 PM
aszsith posted...
Melon_Master posted...
aszsith posted...

The XBOne supports both IR and RF. For example, I use it via RF while I control it with my Harmony Smart Remote. I'm not sure how compatible it is with your specific device. You could test it out and see. It's not like you are forced to keep either setting.

The default remote for the DirecTV boxes are garbage. :x
But I'm excited to here the XBOne does support RF, I'm not sure why some many people on forums are saying it's IR only. :/
---