i feel they killed the value of achievements

#31Sith JediPosted 4/2/2014 3:21:37 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the app achievements don't give gamerscore.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#32lunaticcorePosted 4/2/2014 3:26:29 PM
If the "value of achievements" has been damaged is certainly wasn't the app achievements that hurt them. It was the mix of gamers hunting super easy achievements in games they normally wouldn't play and other games that have just terrible terrible unoriginal achievement lists.

I mainly only care about them in games that use them well for entertainment purposes, like Crackdown was known for.
---
--- Chilling and Killing 11 (Punching Titans) on youtube.
http://youtu.be/q4p7NCm7fng
#33WhyitEarpPosted 4/2/2014 3:28:08 PM
Achievements are stupid and one of the dumbest things implemented in gaming
#34Rdeal2Posted 4/2/2014 3:31:43 PM
sharksfan7 posted...
When did achievements ever have value?

When i buy a game off the store, i get reward points depending on the amount of achievements i have
#35RealAfterlifePosted 4/2/2014 3:33:11 PM
jellybeanmaster posted...
Getting achievements meant accomplishing something. Achievements were directly tied to GAMERscore. The more you played, the higher itd be. But now there are achievements in apps like Netflix that reward you for nothing. If you thought gamerscore/achievements meant very little before, they mean absolutely nothing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

have a nice day.
---
GT: x Afterlife x
#36scoobydoobydontPosted 4/2/2014 3:40:32 PM
shingui5 posted...
Newsflash: they never meant anything anyway.

*To you.

Sith Jedi posted...
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the app achievements don't give gamerscore.

We know.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#37regsantotomasPosted 4/2/2014 3:45:20 PM(edited)
Killed the value? Dramatic much?

Achievements is a reward system for completing tasks both mundane and difficult. It also allows you to explore aspects of the game that you may have otherwise ignored.

IMO, they are harmless and fun.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#38chip1289Posted 4/2/2014 3:44:46 PM
achievements had value?
#39scoobydoobydontPosted 4/2/2014 3:53:15 PM
regsantotomas posted...
Ruined? Dramatic much?

Achievements is a reward system for completing tasks both mundane and difficult. It also allows you to explore aspects of the game that you may have otherwise ignored.

IMO, they are harmless and fun.

You seem to be missing the point, let me offer an analogy: non-gaming achievements with zero GS are Pavlov's bell when there's no food. If it happens too often, it ruins the Pavlovian response achievements were designed to elicit in the first place. In tc's (and my) opinion, they have rung the bell too many times and the system no longer works. Apps aren't the only infraction, just one the tc happened to start a topic about.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#40PraetorXynPosted 4/2/2014 3:53:36 PM
I'd rather they not exist.

I don't care at all if a game doesn't have them, but if a game has them I feel compelled to try and get all the single player ones.

The worst part is that most of them just amount to:
1. Do something you would have to do to beat the game
2. Do something that you would have to actively try not to do to beat the game without doing it
3. Play through the entire game in some contrived way like not killing anyone, not using certain abilities, etc.

They're basically used as a means for multiple playthroughs now as most games have multiple category 3 achievements making you play through the game at least twice.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png