i feel they killed the value of achievements

#41OMGWYATTPosted 4/2/2014 3:56:43 PM
Achievements had value?
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
Have List: http://tinyurl.com/kqr69kx
#42regsantotomasPosted 4/2/2014 4:08:59 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...

You seem to be missing the point, let me offer an analogy: non-gaming achievements with zero GS are Pavlov's bell when there's no food. If it happens too often, it ruins the Pavlovian response achievements were designed to elicit in the first place. In tc's (and my) opinion, they have rung the bell too many times and the system no longer works. Apps aren't the only infraction, just one the tc happened to start a topic about.

I think some developers do achievements better than others. But at the end of the day, it is still just a relatively meaningless reward system. Some games will throw points like they are going out of style.

If the achievement system is so important to an individual, then I suppose they can choose their game accordingly.

I stand by my assertion that the system isn't being killed or ruined. Perhaps it is just mine and others' perspective that achievements have always been relatively innocuous.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#43wanderzPosted 4/2/2014 4:19:12 PM
in my opinion, achievements in a game amount to about the same thing as leaderboards, high scores (or for that matter scores and any kind of point system), and other such goals of a game.

back in the day you would tell people, hey i beat such and such level of this game, i had over 500,000 points in this game, i finally got the master sword... etc.
now you basically say, yeah i got that achievement for getting the master sword or the achievement for getting 500,000 points in a single game (but hopefully it has a shorter title)

does it mean anything substantial in the real world? no..
if you are talking to someone else that plays the same game and you get the achievement first, it perhaps gives you a little bit of credibility (with that person), much like saying i beat your best score...
similarly saying i have 990 / 1000 gamerscore is similar to saying i've accomplished all but one or two things there is to do in this game.

while you are playing the game it gives you another goal to shoot for, much like going for a high score did back in the day.

is anyone ever going to be impressed by you saying "hey i just got an achievement for watching 20 hours of shows on hulu? probably not.... but it could make for some funny jokes.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#44LazyyAmericanPosted 4/2/2014 4:25:39 PM
I will beat a dead horse and say that they never mattered ever...and that if they want to make achievements for breathing air let them. They were meaningless before...they still are.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#45TheIciestWaterPosted 4/2/2014 4:40:58 PM
Getting achievements meant accomplishing something

XFD

This is what gamers actually believe these days.
---
So icy it burns more than cools. Yeah, it's like that.
#46KHWyvernPosted 4/2/2014 4:59:49 PM
sharksfan7 posted...
When did achievements ever have value?

This. The gamerscore means squat since you can't buy anything with it.

It's just there to be there.
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#47odcrl001Posted 4/2/2014 5:02:59 PM
You telling me people actually go for achievements???
---
You think your being funny?
...Pink bunny!
#48Fou LuPosted 4/2/2014 5:11:34 PM
sharksfan7 posted...
When did achievements ever have value?

Back before the Xbox One launched. Microsoft gave random people who had around over 80k GS free Killer Instinct (all characters unlocked) as a sort of prize. Random people with over 200k+ were awarded with an Xbox One, even though they were most likely to have preordered and paid off one already, so they were basically given $500 for free. The fact that you needed a certain amount of GS to "win" something means Microsoft had assigned a value to your Gamerscore.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#49DtheBruiserPosted 4/2/2014 5:18:29 PM
I liked the achievement system on the 360. I dont know if it's for copywrite reasons or whatever but my console of choice has an inferior rewards system. I wish their next version would give value to achievements in exp and have a never-ending level up system or something like that. Try to move forward, not back :-\

More on topic: the gamerscore system is imo the best rewards system we have gotten on consoles yet
---
Want to learn how to procrastinate like me? I'll tell you how tomorrow
#50pozertronPosted 4/2/2014 5:22:40 PM
Achievements and Trophies were pointless from their very creation. Simply because you can't do anything with them.
---
Any game with a time limit must burn in hell...with the exception of Fallout 1, Mana Khemia and Mana Khemia 2 since those were actually good.