i feel they killed the value of achievements

#51Lisbon14215Posted 4/2/2014 5:27:44 PM
Doukou posted...
Their value was lost long time ago, around the time Avatar the game came out and you could 1000g in ten mins. Then people started buying easy gamer score games.

Yup. It was exactly at that moment and with that game that achievements became worthless. Because, you know, the first two years of the system didn't see ridiculously easy games with ridiculously easy achievements. For example, pretty much any sports title before 2009.
---
YOLO... It's like Carpe Diem for idiots.
http://i.imgur.com/vrhzkRB.jpg
#52CaanimalPosted 4/2/2014 6:06:05 PM
Achievements/trophies actually MEANT something?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA Good one TC.

They are nothing more than Epeen, and are meant to show nothing but how much of a life a person DOESN'T have, the higher your gamer score, the more you play games, the less of a real life you have... It's fairly sad actually, I miss the old days when playing video games was fun and you played video games to have fun...
#53DarkHolesPosted 4/2/2014 6:12:49 PM
Caanimal posted...
Achievements/trophies actually MEANT something?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA Good one TC.

They are nothing more than Epeen, and are meant to show nothing but how much of a life a person DOESN'T have, the higher your gamer score, the more you play games, the less of a real life you have... It's fairly sad actually, I miss the old days when playing video games was fun and you played video games to have fun...

What gives you the right to define a life? People do what people enjoy, not everybody wants to live up to fantasy expectations that i am willing to bet a large sum of money you don't live up too yourself. Why don't you get a life instead of being an ass over the internet?
---
If gamefaqs didn't have a levelling system i'd be gone.
#54UnhelpfulNPCPosted 4/2/2014 6:47:34 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
The fact that they are zero point achievements only helps the tc's argument. What are the rest of you on about?

Before: you play actual game, a cheevo pops up to reward you, GS climbs slightly as one measure of that reward, feelsgoodman.

Now: using app, cheevo pops up because reasons, nothing happens to GS, wtfwasthat,nofeels.

It cheapens and dilutes the positive reinforcement that cheevos once held. Add the fact that they broke Xbone cheevos so you can't see them on xbox.com or your 360, and don't forget they added challenges just to mess with us for no reason.... it's ****ed,
whether you admit it or not. They had a good thing going, and they ruined it.

It doesn't cheapen anything at all. It lets me know that I've watched Netflix way too much and should go out and do something worth while.
#55BoomerHelllPosted 4/2/2014 6:59:47 PM
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/rewards?xr=shellnav

/thread
#56kayoticdreamzPosted 4/2/2014 7:23:35 PM
I feel like the day 1 achievement should have had like 1000 points or something.
#57leelee3105Posted 4/2/2014 7:24:27 PM
sharksfan7 posted...
When did achievements ever have value?

ask that guy who just hit 1mil if they have Value seems to have worked out for him pretty well
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#58SigmaLongshotPosted 4/2/2014 7:39:02 PM
The psychology is simple.

Positive reinforcement stimulus loops (or the "breadcrumb trail") are basic techniques used mostly in MMORPGs. This is the "digital crack" effect, that continuously feeds you tiny rewards very frequently and reinforces your action. Soon you get so into the act that your mind associates the rote act with positivity, even if the rewards themselves stop.

It's the same thing when you teach a dog to roll over. Initially you might have to feed him several treats for him to even consider it worth his time. As time passes, you might give him the odd treat for consistent rolling over. Eventually you can command him with little to no treat at all and he will happily roll over, as his mind associates the act with positivity and rewarding atmosphere.

This is why MMORPGs seem positively dull to outsiders but players are utterly addicted, and it's the same mechanic.

Microsoft saw this and have simply applied the effect to a much broader demographic.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#59TheEntitledOnePosted 4/2/2014 9:12:51 PM
You were fooled. There never was value to achievements.
---
I got your number! I got all your numbers!
#60Xeeh_BitzPosted 4/2/2014 9:15:36 PM
Fou Lu posted...
sharksfan7 posted...
When did achievements ever have value?

Back before the Xbox One launched. Microsoft gave random people who had around over 80k GS free Killer Instinct (all characters unlocked) as a sort of prize. Random people with over 200k+ were awarded with an Xbox One, even though they were most likely to have preordered and paid off one already, so they were basically given $500 for free. The fact that you needed a certain amount of GS to "win" something means Microsoft had assigned a value to your Gamerscore.

So in 10 years when they release a new system, you might have a chance to win a prize? lol
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant