i feel they killed the value of achievements

#61Spetsnaz420Posted 4/3/2014 1:05:15 AM
It's like the day one achievement... Completely pointless yet morons happily pay real money to buy it on eBay. Achievements for Netflix? What exactly have you achieved?
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#62MightyMunaPosted 4/3/2014 1:44:17 AM
Achievement, Gamerscore, Trophies etc need to go.

Horrible idea and implementation.
#63Evel138Posted 4/3/2014 3:06:33 AM
I personally do feel achievements/trophies have "value" in that they often require actions a player may not have taken otherwise. They can actually add something to the gameplay.

In context to just the gamer score itself, as has been pointed out several times ITT, such achievements those for watching Netflix do not add points, so I really don't see the point of this thread.

Beside, from the gamer score perspective, you've had those that have pissed and moaned since "King Kong" ( 360 launch title....had to do nothing more than finish this [easy] game for 1000gs) about games used to pad gamer scores.....so the actual score itself has never had much "value" from the start.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 The Badguy
PS4360One
#64crynryanPosted 4/3/2014 3:24:14 AM
Most developers throw the achievements in as an afterthought, when they shouldn't. Because of that most achievements are either really easy to obtain or insanely hard. Achievements that don't require you to collect an x amount of x or get x kills with x weapons and actually make you do something you would never do are the ones that are designed better. Whether anybody hates it or not, achievements are about achieving things, which you can do by getting a 50 hit combo in Avatar or finding the hidden Xboxs in Condemned.

Apps that have achievements still make you achieve certain things, whether it be Netflix's "use every day for 30 days" or Twitch's "watch 8 consecutive hours" achievement, you're still achieving something.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#65matt-nicklinPosted 4/3/2014 3:32:55 AM
Carpetfluff posted...
The thing that changed, albeit a while back, that I hate was the way my once completed games became incomplete gamerscore-wise when they stuck a dlc out six months later.

I know I hate it when that happens, especially with halo games with all the achievements afterwards end up being multiplayer achievements and I hate them ones,

The playstation trophies I think have it perfect because when there is dlc is has its own section for trophies under the main game separating them.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3827-3643 (Pansear, Larvesta, Braixen)
IGN - Matthew. PM if adding me
#66Spetsnaz420Posted 4/3/2014 3:45:48 AM(edited)
crynryan posted...

Apps that have achievements still make you achieve certain things, whether it be Netflix's "use every day for 30 days" or Twitch's "watch 8 consecutive hours" achievement, you're still achieving something.

How is watching TV for 8 hours an achievement? Finding 200 pigeons in GTAIV... Now that was an achievement
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#67SigmaLongshotPosted 4/3/2014 3:58:38 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
The psychology is simple.

Positive reinforcement stimulus loops (or the "breadcrumb trail") are basic techniques used mostly in MMORPGs. This is the "digital crack" effect, that continuously feeds you tiny rewards very frequently and reinforces your action. Soon you get so into the act that your mind associates the rote act with positivity, even if the rewards themselves stop.

It's the same thing when you teach a dog to roll over. Initially you might have to feed him several treats for him to even consider it worth his time. As time passes, you might give him the odd treat for consistent rolling over. Eventually you can command him with little to no treat at all and he will happily roll over, as his mind associates the act with positivity and rewarding atmosphere.

This is why MMORPGs seem positively dull to outsiders but players are utterly addicted, and it's the same mechanic.

Microsoft saw this and have simply applied the effect to a much broader demographic.

Self-bumping my own post due to boorish narcissism and that my point is somehow even more valid after the last page...
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#68Jptremblay13Posted 4/3/2014 4:15:02 AM
Achievements were useless the day they were invented.

They only serve to spot who has no freaking life and spent their whole time playing games.
#69crynryanPosted 4/3/2014 4:35:44 AM
Jptremblay13 posted...
Achievements were useless the day they were invented.

They only serve to spot who has no freaking life and spent their whole time playing games.

Because whatever you don't find fun, no one else can. What if someone's on house arrest or has some disability that bars them from leaving their house and has nothing better to do?

People use achievements in tournaments, as friendly/competitive bets, and for the hell of it as well. Can't complain about what people do on their own time if it has no effect on you.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#70wanderzPosted 4/5/2014 6:54:21 AM
KHWyvern posted...
sharksfan7 posted...
When did achievements ever have value?

This. The gamerscore means squat since you can't buy anything with it.

It's just there to be there.

you also can't buy anything with your high scores on any game, any movie you have ever watched, any point you ever scored in any sport, your driver's license, you can't even (directly) buy anything with a bachelor's degree... doesn't mean they are worthless.
it's a game, it's not meant to have great worth, it's something you do for fun.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.