Microsoft should set up digital downloads for Gamefly

#1Trigg3rH4ppyPosted 4/2/2014 10:10:01 PM
being able to just download a game and play it for however long you rent it would be awesome. When you're ready to 'trade in' your game, you would simply just open up the gamefly app, uninstall the previous game and install the new one. They would have to make the Xbox capable of designating between owned downloaded games and rented ones, but i imagine it wouldn't be too complicated.

the only problem would be hackers that figure out how to keep it on the system longer than it's supposed to be but i'm sure there could be a way to figure something out to make it work.

If gamefly or another similar service offered game rentals through digital downloads, would you subscribe to it?
---
http://i.imgur.com/oAfGJq9.jpg
TWSSted since~ 3/27/12
#2BTM4444Posted 4/2/2014 10:13:31 PM
I think as digital games become, unfortunately, more popular, something like this will become available.
#3Lawboy2Posted 4/2/2014 10:23:43 PM
I totally agree with u...similar to vudu where u can rent or buy
#4game freakozoidPosted 4/2/2014 10:25:21 PM
Yes but it is a risky business since as soon as you allow people to rent downloaded titles, you either need to charge a fortune for the service or you are going to struggle.

GameFly right now can offer its (already somewhat high) price because a lot of the time of renting games during that month is actually devoted to gamers waiting for their game to arrive or shipping it back. Also, due to that, game retailers don't suffer as much as their product is still available right away which allows you to justify spending $60 on it.

If you can just pay to rent a game and download it right away, what would make you ever want to bother buying a game after that? Not to mention that let's say it was still $15. A lot of people would just go months without subscribing, then once their is a sizable amount of games that they want to play, pay that months subscription and then cancel once you go through the games you wanted without ever needing to buy any of those games.

It really financially isn't in Microsoft's best interest to do rental downloads.
#5Spetsnaz420Posted 4/3/2014 1:01:59 AM
Not happening unless MS sets up their own service... They would have to be out of their minds to give that business to Gamefly. Also Sony is already doing this with PSNow
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#6bakasoraPosted 4/3/2014 1:46:46 AM
Y U so cheapo!
---
and FFXIII is garbage.
#7crynryanPosted 4/3/2014 2:31:20 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Not happening unless MS sets up their own service... They would have to be out of their minds to give that business to Gamefly. Also Sony is already doing this with PSNow

TC's idea isn't like PSNOW. PSNOW has you streaming the video of the game you're playing, where TC's idea is to download the game and play it off your console.

As for the subscription fee, they could have a monthly fee to access the service and then a per game fee where you have to pay an extra amount per game that you want.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#8omega1110Posted 4/3/2014 7:36:19 AM
I would love to see digital rentals, but I 100% agree with Spetsnaz420 that it would only happen if Microsoft was doing it themselves. It would be a tricky thing to setup because I imagine they would have to come to some sort of terms with the publishers of the games of well, and get the pricing just right so that people don't just use renting as a replacement for buying.
---
Does anyone know where I can find a good troll-hammer?
#9cheezedadadaPosted 4/3/2014 7:40:41 AM(edited)
I almost don't see how this could be physically possible to do with newer games? Who would bother ever buying a game again if they could just pay a much smaller fee to rent it and then be done? I mean, I could see it happening with older games, but I just don't how its feasible to do with newer releases?

Like the guy above me said, most of the time with Gamefly is waiting for games to ship or sitting in queue or whatever else. Having the ability to rent any game you want at any time would be awesome, but I just dont see how it could work in Microsoft's favor. Then again, maybe I am just missing a good way to handle it?
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and handhelds. Yay for options.
#10MrSpaM111Posted 4/3/2014 7:52:34 AM
It just wouldnt happen, due to the fact when new games came out a lot of people would just rent them instead of buying them outright, and MS wouldnt make any money on the rented games.

For example if a game like titanfall was available for digital rent on day one, it probably would have only sold half as many full retail copies.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628