5 year old discovers a hole in the X1's security system

#61cheezedadadaPosted 4/4/2014 11:49:50 AM
TrueGB posted...
cheezedadada posted...
TC if you think things like this are embarrassing, never search "Playstation Network Outage" on google. If this 5 year old stumbling across a bug is embarrassing, I can't imagine your reaction to 77 million accounts being hacked.

Something similar happened to MS, they just did a much better job hiding it.

Wouldn't doubt it. MS is FAR from infallible and make plenty of mistakes. A 5 year old was able to play games that his father password protected by bashing the space bar. That was pretty much my point with that though. Even though these types of things shouldn't happen, they do and it's not just limited to one company.

I am just amused by watching people poke fun and laugh at Microsoft when you could pull up some really embarrassing stories about companies they support.
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and handhelds. Yay for options.
#62Ch3wyPosted 4/4/2014 11:55:59 AM
blacklabelice how drunk are you right now?
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#63blacklabelicePosted 4/4/2014 12:03:17 PM(edited)
it makes me figure that the parent was actually the one who discovered this and is using his kid to take all the glory

i mean he obviously was watching his kid if he knew what he was doing and knew exactly what buttons he pressed. he put a password on his console obviously because he didnt want his kid to be able to get in there. why would he let his kid just sit there and try to log in. if i didnt want my kid to do something, i wouldnt just calmly sit there and watch him try to do it. i would tell him to go away or dont touch that or whatever. thats just common sense.

it doesnt add up. remember the headline during the xbone launch where it made headlines that a dudepaid $600 on ebay for just an empty xbox one box and claimed he got scammed trying to buy an xbox one for his five year old son? some store in town felt sorry for him after the news and gave him an xbox one. but you get the feeling it was all the parents using their kid as the scapegoat. i mean was he really just buying an xbox one for his 5 year old kid, or was he just looking for sympathy and attention by putting his child on the frontline?

i get the same feeling in this instance. who knows? either way its pretty sad that microsoft specializes in software, and the god damn space bar was just too much for their security measures to contain. how did that one ever squeeze by?
#64blacklabelicePosted 4/4/2014 12:09:29 PM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...
blacklabelice how drunk are you right now?

im pretty sober right now actually. i think that might be the problem with my nonsense. i aint out here to start some little sony vs microsoft console war. i aint got time to care about sales figures or counting pixels on the screen or any of that garbage just to find some petty little thing to argue over . i just think its rather sad that for all this time, it was so easy for people in your house to unwantedly gain access to your system just by something so easy as pressing the space bar.

i dont know how that ever managed to get overlooked. i honestly dont. i wonder how much time and effort they spent on the testing cycle during development for this one to slip through the cracks? though after thinking outside of the box, im really starting to doubt that it was actually a 5 year old who figured this out.

the infinite power of the space bar i guess.
#65Ch3wyPosted 4/4/2014 12:15:23 PM
I guarantee you that the amount of people with XB1's now is bigger than the QA team, and it took someone this long to figure it out.

Oversights like this are easier to make than you think, and rock solid client side security isn't exactly a top concern for developers compared to other things.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#66EnclavePosted 4/4/2014 12:17:22 PM
cheezedadada posted...
TC if you think things like this are embarrassing, never search "Playstation Network Outage" on google. If this 5 year old stumbling across a bug is embarrassing, I can't imagine your reaction to 77 million accounts being hacked.

Totally different situations. The network outage was Sony being hacked. This however is a very basic exploit that likely compromised Xbox live for years, just luckily nobody figured it out, or if they did they kept quiet about it and didn't exploit it too much.

It very much is embarrassing.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#67blacklabelicePosted 4/4/2014 12:18:58 PM
i wonder what else the space bar could be exploited for ?

i dont really go out of my way to find these loopholes but hackers will dedicate themselves to finding these kind of security holes. even in games you get people trying to find glitches and get into walls and stuff.....im actually surprised it took so long for somebody to figure this out, as it doesnt seem like it was ever very hard to exploit or anything.
#688waystomondayPosted 4/4/2014 12:19:02 PM
Jiggy101011 posted...
Muryo posted...
How embarrassing:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-old-boy-found-big-145912855.html

What was your reaction when PSN got hacked and all of our credit card information was in the hands of hackers and Sony sat on that information for days before letting us know?

Credit card info was not taken only personal information.
---
"Sugar enriched flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, polysorbate 60 and yellow dye #5. Everything a growin' boy needs."
#69Ch3wyPosted 4/4/2014 12:22:07 PM(edited)
blacklabelice posted...
i wonder what else the space bar could be exploited for ?

i dont really go out of my way to find these loopholes but hackers will dedicate themselves to finding these kind of security holes. even in games you get people trying to find glitches and get into walls and stuff.....im actually surprised it took so long for somebody to figure this out, as it doesnt seem like it was ever very hard to exploit or anything.

I'm willing to bet it's probably just something that only works on Xbox's with that account previously logged in before. People don't normally spend that much time trying to hack into accounts on their own Xbox.
---
#70iamjosh308Posted 4/4/2014 12:22:27 PM
cheezedadada posted...

---
*wipes brown*