5 year old discovers a hole in the X1's security system

#81TiredofhearinguPosted 4/4/2014 1:17:44 PM
HOW DO YOU MISS PASSWORDS ACTUALLY BEING NEEDED?!?!!?! and why the hell are people defending it...? Forget about sony, this isn't about sony, this is about a holy **** level **** up on basic security... ya know... MAKING SURE A PASSWORD IS NEEDED!
#82leelee3105Posted 4/4/2014 1:21:10 PM
you guys realize he got past the lock code for just the local xbox right? because he hit space a few times. this isnt a security breach at all. PLEASE GET A LIFE
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#83leelee3105Posted 4/4/2014 1:23:42 PM
Tiredofhearingu posted...
HOW DO YOU MISS PASSWORDS ACTUALLY BEING NEEDED?!?!!?! and why the hell are people defending it...? Forget about sony, this isn't about sony, this is about a holy **** level **** up on basic security... ya know... MAKING SURE A PASSWORD IS NEEDED!

yeah you didnt read the article
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
#84EnclavePosted 4/4/2014 1:24:28 PM
leelee3105 posted...
you guys realize he got past the lock code for just the local xbox right? because he hit space a few times. this isnt a security breach at all. PLEASE GET A LIFE

Except it is. If somebody could access my computer by just inputting a bunch of spaces instead of my password that'd be a pretty big security flaw.

Additionally, I don't believe the article even mentions if this is a problem isolated only to local access, regardless of if it is or not though, it's a security breach and a pretty embarrassing one.

Yes, the breach Sony had was also embarrassing, but that doesn't suddenly mean this one isn't.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#85ILikesCheesePosted 4/4/2014 1:29:12 PM(edited)
cheezedadada posted...
TC if you think things like this are embarrassing, never search "Playstation Network Outage" on google. If this 5 year old stumbling across a bug is embarrassing, I can't imagine your reaction to 77 million accounts being hacked.

Talk about beating a dead horse.

And Sony wasn't even the first in what has become a long line of companies to have this happen to them.

Ever heard of a little chain called TARGET?

Also, bringing up the failings of one company does not excuse or lessen the failings of another company. I see you're playing with your fruit again, tossing around those apples and oranges.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#86Ch3wyPosted 4/4/2014 1:28:14 PM
Enclave posted...
leelee3105 posted...

Except it is. If somebody could access my computer by just inputting a bunch of spaces instead of my password that'd be a pretty big security flaw.

Additionally, I don't believe the article even mentions if this is a problem isolated only to local access, regardless of if it is or not though, it's a security breach and a pretty embarrassing one.

Yes, the breach Sony had was also embarrassing, but that doesn't suddenly mean this one isn't.

As far as local security goes, it can be exploited. Period. There's no way around it. It's a waste of resources to spend ridiculous amounts of time on it just for child proofing.

This is an unusual exploit and it's no surprise that it was overseen. It's a surprise it's there in the first place since I can't think of any way it would make sense, but I can see how it would be looked over.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#87LaZyEyeZ0oPosted 4/4/2014 1:33:50 PM
So what. Sony failed. Ms failed. Ms failure doesnt justify sonys and vice versa.
#88leelee3105Posted 4/4/2014 1:44:35 PM
Enclave posted...
leelee3105 posted...

that would only be an issue in so far as what you have on your computer. and why would this person be in your house? thats another problem. you cant get any information of your local xbox standing in the room with it. its not a big deal at all. if it was MS would have paid this family big money to shut up. even the trolls on yahoo news wrote the article as a feel good story. proving that Sony gamefaqs trolls are the worst kind of trolls on the planet. well at least you guys won something
---
#89VellBellPosted 4/4/2014 1:48:29 PM
Not to join in on the console bashing, but this right here is EXACTLY why they should always have children involved in quality testing. Why? Many consumers have kids. And kids are crafty little boogers. Give a child a console to tweak with for a few hours. Not only would you find out about this, but also how well your parental consent works, and a few other gems. You can't tell me no one in the console business has kids. And that none of those kids would be willing to do this. "Hey little guy, want to play with this for an hour or so? If you do, we'll go for ice cream!" Labor is cheap, and things like this wouldn't happen.

MS dropped the ball on this, but they aren't the only ones to screw up. Seriously, kids and QA should go hand in hand. Any parent knows, electronics rarely stand up to an unsupervised, bored child. With all our advances, we still make stupid mistakes. Really, this should not have happened.
#90Ch3wyPosted 4/4/2014 1:49:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]