MS thanks 5 y/o for discovering a vulnerability

#31TiredofhearinguPosted 4/4/2014 12:14:03 PM
MrImpatient35 posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...
This needed another topic just to add that.

it does

I think I needed to make this post, cause it seemed like people were ignoring that important part of the story.

Also, people say that the vulnerability shouldn't have been there in the first place. When it comes to electronics (all of them), I never expect it to be perfect within a few months of its release. Tweaks and changes are made to it all the time. How long did PS3 take to be a decent console? I guess MS is held to another standard.

yeaah no... Comparing a vulnerability hidden in network coding is not the same as BEING ABLE TO JUST PUT SPACES AND SIGN INTO WHATEVER ACCOUNT... are you kidding...? One has to be looked for by people that look for this kind of thing, the other one was just waiting to be discovered by the worst kind of people and for all we know IT HAS BEEN. And I am not defending sony, they were complete idiots with how they handled that whole fiasco. But the vulnerability of "By typing in space keys, then hitting enter" Should not have ever once existed, that is unbelievably bad security. That's like not even having a password...
#32SaQu1BPosted 4/4/2014 12:20:09 PM
How do we know his parents didn't set him up for this so he can make Microsoft look bad? I wouldn't be surprised.
#33BSerenityPosted 4/4/2014 12:21:14 PM
SaQu1B posted...
How do we know his parents didn't set him up for this so he can make Microsoft look bad? I wouldn't be surprised.

o_O get that conspiracy tinfoil hat off your head dude
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#34Jiggy101011Posted 4/4/2014 12:23:08 PM
I found a glitch before in the original Forza, I accepted a game invite from the garage menu and I was able to drive any car even if the host had set up class restrictions. I had the fastest lap times in the game for awhile lol.

My point is, glitches and things like this exist and sometimes something as simple as accepting a game invite or hitting the space bar can result in doing something you shouldn't be able to do. Is this a fault on Microsoft? Sure, but at least they acknowledged it right away AND gave the kid something for discovering it.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
#35leelee3105Posted 4/4/2014 12:26:30 PM
Tiredofhearingu posted...
MrImpatient35 posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...

it does

I think I needed to make this post, cause it seemed like people were ignoring that important part of the story.

Also, people say that the vulnerability shouldn't have been there in the first place. When it comes to electronics (all of them), I never expect it to be perfect within a few months of its release. Tweaks and changes are made to it all the time. How long did PS3 take to be a decent console? I guess MS is held to another standard.

yeaah no... Comparing a vulnerability hidden in network coding is not the same as BEING ABLE TO JUST PUT SPACES AND SIGN INTO WHATEVER ACCOUNT... are you kidding...? One has to be looked for by people that look for this kind of thing, the other one was just waiting to be discovered by the worst kind of people and for all we know IT HAS BEEN. And I am not defending sony, they were complete idiots with how they handled that whole fiasco. But the vulnerability of "By typing in space keys, then hitting enter" Should not have ever once existed, that is unbelievably bad security. That's like not even having a password...

i guess i will school you guys in this topic too. all the kid found was a way to get past the optional password you can put on your local console to sign in. most people dont even set one up. YOU COULD NOT HAVE USED THIS TO SIGN IN TO AN ACCOUNT ON ANOTHER CONSOLE. /thread
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#36Private_NoobPosted 4/4/2014 2:07:34 PM
The people at microbone are idiots if something such as this can happen.
---
Oh no! Private_Noob posted!
I'm the noobiest noob you'll ever see!
#37RaRitsujunPosted 4/4/2014 9:46:47 PM
bob15x posted...
wow, sony fanboys actually commenting on this after the worst f up with the psn hack?

Did the MS cowards have the balls to mess with hackers? No.
---
18735 XBL Gamerscores | 48 PSN Platinums - Level 26 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
#38leelee3105Posted 4/4/2014 9:51:56 PM
leelee3105 posted...
Tiredofhearingu posted...
MrImpatient35 posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...

it does

i guess i will school you guys in this topic too. all the kid found was a way to get past the optional password you can put on your local console to sign in. most people dont even set one up. YOU COULD NOT HAVE USED THIS TO SIGN IN TO AN ACCOUNT ON ANOTHER CONSOLE. /thread

---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#39darkshadowmasterPosted 4/4/2014 9:54:35 PM
leelee3105 posted...

While this does make it better. It's still laughable that something like this would work.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#40IzraeilPosted 4/4/2014 10:55:17 PM(edited)
PSN got hacked but that was being targeted by an organization of hackers.
Seems any 5 year old can hack into Live.
I just hope MS fanboys will stop claiming MS has much better security than Sony.