Does anyone understand how the cloud will adjust games as we play?

#1skermacPosted 4/5/2014 6:52:36 AM
It sound like a good concept but I don't understand how an online thing can give the console more power. Can anyone help me understand this? I'm guessing it's just more server power for online play? But I think MS should concentrate on games as a selling point instead of the cloud, not saying that's what they are doing but the article seems to say they are or should.

“One of the biggest advantages to having additional server horsepower is being able to rely on that power to make more ‘stuff’ happen in the game,” Microsoft writes.

“Additionally, when more ‘stuff’ is being computed by the server, it affords the developer the ability to continuously patch and tune the game without the player even noticing.

The addition of cloud-driven Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Non-player Characters (NPC) have led to higher fidelity game worlds, and generally more exciting online game experiences.”

Why is this so crucial to the Xbox One’s future? Because if Microsoft can use its cloud platform as a major selling point, it can snag more console exclusives like Titanfall that can take advantage of Live Compute to offer the best online multiplayer experience around."

http://bgr.com/2014/04/04/xbox-one-live-compute/
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#295_EclipsePosted 4/5/2014 9:38:59 AM
Short answer, is the cloud will not make any sort of significant changes to games outside of background things like Forzas AI-Player stuff.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#3skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2014 12:16:50 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Short answer, is the cloud will not make any sort of significant changes to games outside of background things like Forzas AI-Player stuff.

I see
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#4fuzzykuffsPosted 4/5/2014 12:22:03 PM
Long answer is, most posters on this board have no idea. It seems fun to shoot down any idea that may lead to innovation while crying for innovation at the same time.

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would be talking about something and show demos of something that is impossible. What would be the benefit for them? I there will be benefits in the future, hopefully we will learn more at E3. Until then anyone who says anything one way or another who is not involved in the development is not qualified to give a definitive yes or no either way.
#5KingDFizzlePosted 4/5/2014 12:23:03 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
#6crynryanPosted 4/5/2014 12:25:04 PM
95_Eclipse posted...

Other than keeping the frame rate higher while having more things happening, sure it won't help it all.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#7Golden MavenPosted 4/5/2014 12:26:47 PM
fuzzykuffs posted...
Long answer is, most posters on this board have no idea.

But they act like this guy:

95_Eclipse posted...
#8Kovifan27Posted 4/5/2014 12:33:24 PM
The problem is the internet infrastructure of users. What about latency?
#9KingDFizzlePosted 4/5/2014 12:41:09 PM
Kovifan27 posted...
The problem is the internet infrastructure of users. What about latency?

Bah, who cares about latency? It's THE CLOUD!!!
#10TonyKojimaPosted 4/5/2014 12:46:27 PM
The cloud is nothing more than a gimmick that no one bought into.
---
Though the XBOX 360 is good in theory, it's hardware limitations say otherwise - Hideo Kojima
PSN - Guncrazy56