Why do installs take forever? Is there no PlayGo system like the PS4?

#61OUberLordPosted 4/15/2014 5:17:58 PM(edited)
Two generations ago getting a game was at least a 30 minute car trip, possibly longer in some cities, and let alone those who bought the game online and waited for shipping.

Now, people are whining about 20-30 minute installs. I guess we *have* reached next gen.
#62PraetorXynPosted 4/15/2014 5:23:54 PM
OUberLord posted...
Two generations ago getting a game was at least a 30 minute car trip, possibly longer in some cities, and let alone those who bought the game online and waited for shipping.

Now, people are whining about 20-30 minute installs. I guess we *have* reached next gen.

... you do realize you still get those installs after the aforementioned car trip, right?

It takes that long because Blu-Ray drives are insanely slow, and traditional platter-based HDD's are really slow compared to SSD's. But in this instance the BD would bottleneck the SSD regardless.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#63OUberLordPosted 4/15/2014 5:32:54 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
OUberLord posted...

... you do realize you still get those installs after the aforementioned car trip, right?

It takes that long because Blu-Ray drives are insanely slow, and traditional platter-based HDD's are really slow compared to SSD's. But in this instance the BD would bottleneck the SSD regardless.

True, but if you buy online most games either fully install or reach a playable install within those 20-30 minutes. The only one that hasn't for me so far was DR3, as it seemingly lacks any playable state until its fully installed.

Even with a physical copy, I really don't see a difference of a few minutes between the consoles as an issue. The days of popping in a game disc and playing immediately have been dead for years.
#64BeasthuntPosted 4/15/2014 5:50:46 PM
I am installing Ryse from disk. Man, the install time is brutal. How about those days when you could just pop in the disk and play. Good times.
---
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt.
Acts 2:38
#65RaRitsujunPosted 4/16/2014 4:36:50 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#66chubbychaserPosted 4/16/2014 5:18:34 AM
pearl arowana posted...
PlayStation 4 is superior hardware. You can play the game as you are installing it. So deal with it.

axelfooley2k5 posted...
dealwithit

---
aaaHAA!! X800 XT PE
#67TurbokkPosted 4/16/2014 8:15:38 AM
Beasthunt posted...
I am installing Ryse from disk. Man, the install time is brutal. How about those days when you could just pop in the disk and play. Good times.

I pop in a new PS4 disc and i can play within a minute or two.
#68AceAndJunpeiPosted 4/16/2014 8:20:40 AM
OUberLord posted...

So you think next-gen $500 hardware shouldn't outperform $200 tech from 8 years ago?
---
Now Playing: MGS5 Ground Zeroes, Second Son (PS4), DKTF (WiiU), Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3), Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (PC) Dead Rising 3 (no)
#69PraetorXynPosted 4/16/2014 6:10:07 PM
AceAndJunpei posted...
OUberLord posted...

So you think next-gen $500 hardware shouldn't outperform $200 tech from 8 years ago?

Again, the reason for this is the read speeds on Blu-Ray drives are many times slower than those on DVD drives. It's either the slow as Christmas installs or having games that consist of 4 discs, basically.

Since switching to PC though I can't deal with discs period, too much hassle.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#70Laylow12Posted 4/16/2014 7:17:13 PM
Turbokk posted...
Beasthunt posted...

I pop in a new PS4 disc and i can play within a minute or two.

That's only available on the PS4

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin