Do you like the kinect?

#31spacejamjordanzPosted 4/9/2014 12:54:07 PM
I like it for what I expect of it. The family fun motion games are always good to whip out when you have relatives over, or when the wife and I actually have free time at the house. What I have experienced with Kinect so far lies in the realm of what I expect from it. There are the Dance games that work very well(Just Dance 2014 is really good on Xbox One), then there is the mediocre compilation of motion games known as Kinect Sports. Definitely not a knock out of the park, but good for some casual fun in short bursts.

Microsoft has done a good job of persuading their faithful into believing that it's a game-changing device, but I think otherwise. You don't need a degree in computer engineering to see what's really going on. 90% of the time my Kinect is nothing more than an expensive microphone. The UI is just built to accommodate voice commands better than the 360 was. That's all that it really is. The more powerful hardware is what really allows this, not the camera. The only role the Kinect actually plays in most UI functions is the microphone at the bottom. Yes it can sign you in by detecting you (my wife finds it creepy btw), but the PS4's junk camera to do that too. You don't need an expensive camera for voice commands. Microsoft could have built a microphone in the controller if they wanted. Then there are a few "tacked-on" features in games that are negligible at best, but that's lies in what I expect from it once again.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#32BeefEasterPosted 4/9/2014 4:49:30 PM
it's the sole thing keeping me from buying an xbox one
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg
#33TheGam3925Posted 4/15/2014 2:33:52 AM
BeefEaster posted...

A lot of people feel that way.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#34Spetsnaz420Posted 4/15/2014 2:52:48 AM(edited)
TheGam3925 posted...
BeefEaster posted...

A lot of people feel that way.

I have no love for MS but I want X1 to remain competitive. I think Kinnect being a mandatory purchase is and always has been a terrible decision. It's simply not what the majority of gamers want.

If Kinnect was really such an important part of MSs vision, why wouldn't they eat the cost of Kinnect and sell X1 at a minor loss like most consoles before this Gen did. It just reeks of arrogance and disconnect from what the core gamer wants and needs.
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#35Jeh64Posted 4/15/2014 2:53:18 AM
Yes, for the basic navigational functions I use it for.
#36TheGam3925Posted 4/15/2014 3:30:54 AM
Jeh64 posted...
Yes, for the basic navigational functions I use it for.

Yoda?
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.