Gaming outside the box (companion apps)

#1MrImpatient35Posted 4/9/2014 11:28:36 AM
I think this could be a GREAT idea, to change/diversify gaming: http://videogamewriters.com/gaming-outside-the-box-epanding-next-gen-games-70657

I never played MGS: GZ, but the Paper Trail companion app sounds very cool and useful. I REALLY hope this practice gets adopted more often, cause gaming on a controller alone is cool, but this could be really cool. Imagine a game using the controller, Kinect, and a companion app? That'd be awesome.

I remember seeing an article recently, talking about how games are stale, lacking variety, etc. That's why I'm hopeful for Kinect. I'm hoping it will add another dimension to games. If this companion app thing takes off, which I HOPE it is, that would add to the variety in games. Makes them different.

I've heard/read rumors of a companion app coming out for Titanfall, and I keep reading about one in Watch Dogs. I THINK there will be one in The Division also. I hope it happens, because I think that would be really cool. If it gets more popular, I might even buy a Tablet for companion apps.
---
FML
#2robert_rangersuPosted 4/9/2014 11:41:30 AM
The Ground Zeroes app is awesome by the way.
---
Couldn't care less = you don't care one single bit.
Could care less = you do care, at least a little.
#3MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 11:42:41 AM
players can connect to the game via tablet, with which they’ll pilot a remote-control drone. This player can still communicate with his or her friends over the in-game radio, along with the ability to get an aerial view of a battle. From this vantage point, a drone pilot has a number of useful abilities, like marking enemies to be seen by all other group members. This effectively takes gaming outside the box to the next level by letting players play inside the full game, even while away from home.

That is pretty cool. My friends usually scoff at the idea of companion apps, but I think/hope this will become a very big thing in the future. And from the way it sounds, I'd be able to use the companion app on Watch Dogs when I'm not even home. So even when I'm not playing, I'm still playing, if that makes any sense.
---
FML
#4MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 11:53:34 AM
robert_rangersu posted...
The Ground Zeroes app is awesome by the way.

I hope more games do that. I know Watch Dogs has one. Even more reason for that game to be on my radar, cause I LOVE that feature. It just makes games more appealing to me. I just started a free trial with Gamefly, so I might rent MGS GZ just for the Paper Trail app. Is it only on PS4?
---
FML
#5MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 1:17:55 PM
Really? Nobody but me cares about this?
---
FML
#6MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 1:32:59 PM
This is why I chose X1 over PS4. Gaming wont be "stale" and will likely be ever-changing on X1, as devs use Kinect in different ways. I can't wait to see how they use it in horror games in the future. So many possiblities. Is it accurate enough to check your eye dilations? I know it can check your heartbeat. It'd be cool if a game played your own heartbeat during a scene. "Greatness awaits" lol
---
FML