Twitch Streaming Lag

#1killerbasaPosted 4/9/2014 7:02:03 PM
Awhile back when TF came out and the Twitch app allowed streaming I tried a few attempts at broadcasting. I noticed that while the broadcast was enabled it would drop my connection down to 1 bar and had very noticeable lag that made the game unplayable.

My internet speed is 14 Mb down, 1 Mb up. From what I remember for the broadcast it used ~600 Kbps. My cousin tried viewing while I was streaming and said that the stream was very laggy and the feed would cut in and out.

How much bandwidth does the typical X1 game use? Do I need faster internet speeds to have a better stream/lag free gaming? Or does the problem lie with the Twitch app? I haven't tried broadcasting since. I tried reinstalling the app a few times. I also didn't have any other devices using the internet at the time.
#2AeXrcPosted 4/9/2014 11:54:09 PM
When you say your upload is 1 MB I'm assuming you mean 1 Mbps. You're going to need a faster upload than that. Especially if you're playing broadcasting and playing a online multiplayer game. I use to have 25 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. I'd try broadcasting Titanfall and it wasn't that smooth.
---
Gamertag-AeXrc PSN- Aerc
Shows I've watched each week - http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd5xskzz_05n9925gk
#3RenamonPosted 4/9/2014 11:55:19 PM
Remember you can go into the settings for twitch and turn down the quality.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#4matt-nicklinPosted 4/10/2014 1:31:29 AM
I have 34mbps down and 9mbps up.

Which is around 4.2MBps and 1.1MBps and I was streaming on twitch and it was laggy.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3827-3643 (Pansear, Larvesta, Braixen)
IGN - Matthew. PM if adding me
#5MrSpaM111Posted 4/10/2014 1:37:44 AM
a 1mb upload speed is not enough for HD streaming and playing online at the same time, you need a minimum of 3 if you want to be able to play online at the same time without it lagging
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#6DojoMaxPosted 4/10/2014 7:39:57 AM
Insert " u need s better system than bone to stream" here. trollololol
---
"Sony subsequently unveiled the retail price for the PlayStation, with Steve Race taking the stage, saying $299, and walking away to applause.
#7DarkHolesPosted 4/10/2014 7:43:24 AM
Yeah you need a faster upload than that ideally, phone your provider sometimes they can mess with your settings to improve your upload.
---
Keep calm and hate mods
#8DarkHolesPosted 4/10/2014 7:46:49 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
a 1mb upload speed is not enough for HD streaming and playing online at the same time, you need a minimum of 3 if you want to be able to play online at the same time without it lagging

Lol your sig
That guy is a dumbass lol
---
Keep calm and hate mods
#9crynryanPosted 4/11/2014 7:03:46 PM
Your connection speed only determines the quality you can stream at. If the people watching are saying your stream is laggy (like if it's buffering all over the place), it's because your connection isn't stable or Twitch is having problems. The reason it buffers is because the packets of data you're sending to Twitch get lost somewhere in between, which could happen because of bad cables or being really far away from their closest server (their servers in the US are along the South (California, Texas)). You can stream to any server on PC, but on console they choose the best server for you in order to streamline the process.

TLDR; it's not so much your speed, but your stability. The greater the speed, the better quality. The worse the connection quality, the greater chances of Twitch not receiving your data and requiring buffering.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#10AzaneAzerPosted 4/11/2014 8:09:03 PM(edited)
Welcome to streaming, Your connection isn't enough to stream, much less play an online game while streaming.

Also, Twitch has been unwatchable in itself A LOT ever since they released the Console streams that nobody cares to actually watch.