XB1 will be around until at least 2020, is that to long for another new console?

#1skermacPosted 4/11/2014 11:01:29 AM
Lots of articles state MS forecasts sales of the Xbox One to be 100 million by 2020. Technology is expanding much faster than it was 10 years ago and these consoles will be so obsolete after 7 or 8 years its not funny. I don't know what MS has planned but I don't think they should still be pushing the XB1 in 2020. And if they come out with a new Xbox in 2020 with 100 million XB1's out I will wait a few years to get it because there will be so many cross gen titles it wont be worth it to get on launch day.

So when should they give us a new console? I would say 2018 at the latest. Anyone else?
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2uniquebadgerPosted 4/11/2014 11:06:22 AM
I feel the Ps4/Xbox One was a much smaller jump in tech from the Ps3/360 then the comparison of ps2 to ps3 and xbox to xbox 360 were. Seems like we kind of got screwed as gamers this gen and this tech will be outdated very quickly. I hope they don't make us wait till 2020 for the next gen.
#3ave1Posted 4/11/2014 11:10:32 AM
The longer the better. . . Remember, getting a new console is not necessarily going to improve gameplay- just the visual experience and maybe some minor controller revision that adds to gameplay (ie. What the rumble triggers did for the new generation or what the vmu did for the Dreamcast generation).
---
If a tree falls in a forest and you hear it, but your eyes are closed, how do you know it's not just fifty porcupines sliding down a hill?
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 4/11/2014 11:14:40 AM(edited)
uniquebadger posted...
I feel the Ps4/Xbox One was a much smaller jump in tech from the Ps3/360 then the comparison of ps2 to ps3 and xbox to xbox 360 were. Seems like we kind of got screwed as gamers this gen and this tech will be outdated very quickly. I hope they don't make us wait till 2020 for the next gen.

GPU in the consoles are equal to a mid range gpu in a PC from 2 years ago, it's already outdated.

These consoles will be lucky to hit 2016 without being passed by a tablet
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#5Cowboy082288Posted 4/11/2014 11:13:35 AM
I don't agree that tech is expanding faster than it was 10 years ago. For a similar time frame comparison, compare a PC from 1994 to one in 2004.

At any rate, I do agree that these consoles are not the same sort of tech jump we had seen before but I don't think a 6 year life cycle is going to be difficult to achieve.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#6ave1Posted 4/11/2014 11:14:44 AM
Oh, and I have to add here that this new generation is really dropping the ball when it comes to 3D hdtv gaming. . . That should have been expanded. I was also looking forward to having a projection device for more immersive gaming this generation. I am disappoint.
---
If a tree falls in a forest and you hear it, but your eyes are closed, how do you know it's not just fifty porcupines sliding down a hill?
#7uniquebadgerPosted 4/11/2014 11:15:57 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...
I don't agree that tech is expanding faster than it was 10 years ago. For a similar time frame comparison, compare a PC from 1994 to one in 2004.

At any rate, I do agree that these consoles are not the same sort of tech jump we had seen before but I don't think a 6 year life cycle is going to be difficult to achieve.

It seems like they should have just waited a couple more years for release and given us better tech. The 360 and Ps3 could have still made it a few more years easy. Especially since we still see a ton of games being released on them this year. I know i would have been more then happy to wait if it meant we would actually see a significant jump in the tech behind the consoles instead of the tiny hop we seem to have gotten this time around.
#8SaQu1BPosted 4/11/2014 11:16:18 AM
Graphics aren't going to improve much. We have reached a pinnacle. IMO the next step for gaming is VR. Microsoft either integrates VR current gen or next gen. Imagine how sick Kinect and VR will be:

Guy plays Skyrim with Kinect and Oculus Rift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFfMmQM3L-c
#9Xeeh_BitzPosted 4/11/2014 11:19:09 AM
SaQu1B posted...
Graphics aren't going to improve much. We have reached a pinnacle. IMO the next step for gaming is VR. Microsoft either integrates VR current gen or next gen. Imagine how sick Kinect and VR will be:

Guy plays Skyrim with Kinect and Oculus Rift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFfMmQM3L-c

VR requires a GPU capable of rendering not only in 3D but in a 360 degree view. It requires power, more so than just outputted to a TV

and yes, graphics can improve, you haven't seen it because consoles are holding them back.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#10skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2014 11:19:52 AM
uniquebadger posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

It seems like they should have just waited a couple more years for release and given us better tech. The 360 and Ps3 could have still made it a few more years easy. Especially since we still see a ton of games being released on them this year. I know i would have been more then happy to wait if it meant we would actually see a significant jump in the tech behind the consoles instead of the tiny hop we seem to have gotten this time around.

^ this so much
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive