Help with NAT please??

#1flavahamPosted 4/11/2014 12:41:09 PM
I'm getting pretty frustrated...I can't connect with anyone lately. I was told to go to the multiplayer test screen and hold both triggers and bumpers to see my NAT type. It says "Your network is behind a con NAT"...

What the heck does that mean and how do I fix it?????

Please help, I don't really understand what NAT is or how to change it.
Thanks...
#2Golden MavenPosted 4/11/2014 12:43:13 PM
Check your router settings and make sure UPnP is enabled.

Now personally, I added my console's MAC address to my router's DMZ. That is pretty much guaranteed to solve any connection issues, and frankly I'm not concerned about security for gaming consoles.
#3lalwtfPosted 4/11/2014 1:01:10 PM
portforward.com i think it is

Quite a helpful site, NAT can change for me by just restarting the console. But not everyone is that lucky.
---
Xbox 360: 160k+ gamerscore/360+games played
Xbox one owner: Still waiting for a rpg worth playing
#4flavaham(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2014 1:08:34 PM
Golden Maven posted...
Check your router settings and make sure UPnP is enabled.

Now personally, I added my console's MAC address to my router's DMZ. That is pretty much guaranteed to solve any connection issues, and frankly I'm not concerned about security for gaming consoles.

I appreciate the reply but that's all pretty greek to me. Haha. My modem is a Qwest Q1000. I've googled it and I'm at the port forwarding section but it says that the port is invalid. And there's a beginning and end port, which I don't understand...

Also, I read that I have to set a static IP for my console?? Look, I turn on my xbox and I either race cars or shoot things...I'm illiterate when it comes to this stuff. If anyone has time to detail some instructions for me I would be truly appreciative!!

Thanks again!
#5bLiNdSnIpErZ20Posted 4/11/2014 1:13:11 PM
Just look up a YouTube video of how to port forward for Xbox one. Also put what router you have into the search bar too.
---
Don't Blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't Blink. Good Luck.
#6flavaham(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2014 1:34:21 PM
I looked up a youtube video and the first thing this guy said was to DISABLE UPnP. Contradicts the above statement...

My frustration level is pretty high at this point. Thanks for the help though guys. It's just that people talk about this like it's simple. That's fine if this is a field that you know something about. I really don't so it's not a ton of fun for me.
#7__Krystal__Posted 4/11/2014 1:38:03 PM
Are you wireless? Resetting my modem does this trick. I always use Ethernet now though and never have this problem.
---
CHAMP20NS
#8flavaham(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2014 1:45:05 PM
Wired.

When I'm entering the ports it asks for an IP address. I use the one listed in the xbox one settings, right? It says 192.168.0.40 so that's the IP address for the xbox that I want to change, right?
#9Golden MavenPosted 4/11/2014 1:58:51 PM
I understand your frustration TC, a lot of these devices are designed without the end user in mind.

Here's what I would do:

1. Assign a static IP to the XBox One on the modem. You'll need the XBox's MAC address, which you can probably find in the XBox connection settings (not sure don't have an XBox).
2. Put that static IP in your modem's DMZ.

I can't be more detailed than that, I don't own an XBox or your modem. It should be fairly obvious, though.
#10WinnsockPosted 4/11/2014 1:59:36 PM
Instead of forwarding ports, just put your console's IP address in the DMZ. If your console ever screws up again in the future, check to see if your console's IP changed. If it did, put the new IP in the DMZ.
---
GT: Winnsock