How long will this generation last?

#1chicken8orPosted 4/12/2014 1:39:23 PM
The 360 launched in November 2005 and is still getting pretty strong support. That was about 8.5 years ago.

Do you honestly believe the One and PS4 will last that long? I just don't see that happening.

I think there are already some regrets with how little power these consoles actually have. There has just been to much wasted potential and $ with these consoles (especially the kinetic 2.0). I hope they blow my mind with either system, but I doubt it will happen.
---
GT: Chicken8or -Epic Halo 4 moment below!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2_eKmm7o8
#2BTM4444Posted 4/12/2014 1:48:56 PM
People keep talking about how weak the consoles are. That's what you get with consoles. Both companies are barely making any money on each one sold.

I bought a xbox one fully knowing it was weaker than a pc, because I have no interest in a pc where I have to worry about specs and crap. I will be able to play any game this gen no matter what.

Anymore expensive and people wouldn't buy them. There's enough people complaining about price, imagine if they were a couple hundred more.
#3The_DOAMPosted 4/12/2014 2:06:45 PM
*Flame Shield*

That's up to Nintendo as the last generation should've lasted longer as they haven't really gotten back their return on investment yet. You say these consoles are underpowered and that's true and the reason is more than likely Nintendo.

Both Sony and Microsoft are large so they can afford to take a hit per console sold so they undercut their own consoles to build up their user base. In time as with technology the components become cheaper and thus so does the console. they can cut the price to get an edge on the competition as they did last gen. However you get to the point were you stop cutting the price and just collect more revenue as the product costs continue to drop. The problem is at the time when they should've coasted and suck in the revenue and cash flow Nintendo used those cheaper parts and made a console ushering the new gen.

With the ONE and PS4 they are less future proof as they used to say than the last gen as with Nintendo making the cheapest and least undercut console they will have the shortest gen time. With the falling price of tech by the time Nintendo does get around to making a newer console they can make a console stronger and a fraction of the price for cheaper. It doesn't matter how strong the console is as specs are never given and obviously Sony and Microsoft jumped the gun as without knowing the specs the probably believed the Wii U would be a lot stronger.

In 3-4 years if Nintendo declared they were making a new console Sony and Microsoft would be forced to make another blind console as well. 3-4 years is an eternity with computers and console tech is static so they wouldn't make any return on their investment once again. They undercut and their consoles so the consumer can get them cheaper and Nintendo undercuts power to the competition so they can start the gen and manipulate their profit margins.

*Flame Shield still up I might add*
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#4chicken8or(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 2:12:11 PM
I have a gaming PC. It was extremely expensive, comparatively, but it's future proof for at least another 7-10 years with minimal upgrades.

I'm saying that these consoles just didn't quite deliver what they should have. Not just in the graphics capabilities either.

I'm 100% I love with my One and play it as much as I possibly can. I just don't see it lasting another 8.5 years. I also see a lot of money getting dumped into VR or whatever else is next. They haven't even utilized the kinect, but now there is something new on the horizon?

I'm optimistic, but worried. I don't regret my purchase at all, I just see this generation ending quicker than the last. I might be wrong though. With development costs going up continuously we might just hit our plateau with gaming this generation.
---
#5Jedi454Posted 4/12/2014 2:14:25 PM
chicken8or posted...
I have a gaming PC. It was extremely expensive, comparatively, but it's future proof for at least another 7-10 years with minimal upgrades.

I'm saying that these consoles just didn't quite deliver what they should have. Not just in the graphics capabilities either.

I'm 100% I love with my One and play it as much as I possibly can. I just don't see it lasting another 8.5 years. I also see a lot of money getting dumped into VR or whatever else is next. They haven't even utilized the kinect, but now there is something new on the horizon?

I'm optimistic, but worried. I don't regret my purchase at all, I just see this generation ending quicker than the last. I might be wrong though. With development costs going up continuously we might just hit our plateau with gaming this generation.

If you actually think that, then you would be lying to yourself and the PC community. PC gaming is much more expensive and impractical to a lot of people.
---
Get Good Kid.
#6That_Damn_KidPosted 4/12/2014 2:16:26 PM
Nintendo will probably release their next console in 3 years
---
I'm not a kid, I just act like one
GT: ITS DAT DAM KID --- PSN: Lamburghini89///PS4, X1, Wii U, 360, 3DS
#7HENTAIDOJIPosted 4/12/2014 2:18:11 PM
MS says Xbox One will last 12 years
Sony says PS4 will last 5-6 years.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#8axelfooley2k5Posted 4/12/2014 2:19:08 PM
6.5 yr
---
Congrats Colbert!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc
#9Mindwipe77Posted 4/12/2014 2:22:49 PM
hopefully 9-10 years
---
Proud owner of X1,PS4 and Wii U, I pity childish fanboys
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."
#10chicken8or(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 2:24:40 PM
Jedi454 posted...
chicken8or posted...

If you actually think that, then you would be lying to yourself and the PC community. PC gaming is much more expensive and impractical to a lot of people.

With minimal upgrades my computer will still be kicking out top end performance in 7 years. Minimal upgrades, not 0.

It isn't practical for the normal gamer to drop top dollar for a gaming rig, but the 360 and PS3 were actually decent machines when they came out. They gave PC gamers much more competition compared to the One and PS4.

I prefer console gaming, but I can't help but to worry about longevity here.
---