How long will this generation last?

#11Hucast9Posted 4/12/2014 2:27:37 PM(edited)
This generation will last until 2020, then new consoles will launch. Expect something new around 2020, such as holographic projection of objects into your gaming space. The console will include 2-3 wireless holographic projectors that you will need to put on your walls. The Kinect will sense your position in the 3 dimensional space of your living room in order to know were to project the objects. All the action will still occur onscreen, but the holographic projection will augment that action sometimes.

So imagine you're going into the map room in a Metroid game (just an example), After you download the map, it will be projected a few feet away from your head for you to see. You may be able to interact with it too. This is going to happen at some point. It is inevitable. I would be willing to bet anything that this will happen in 1 or 2 console generations from now.
#12chicken8or(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 2:37:47 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...
MS says Xbox One will last 12 years
Sony says PS4 will last 5-6 years.

If this is true then I hope Microsoft had something really crazy up their sleeves.

I think Sony is being a bit more realistic worth their time frame.
---
GT: Chicken8or -Epic Halo 4 moment below!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2_eKmm7o8
#13Jedi454Posted 4/12/2014 2:45:31 PM
chicken8or posted...
Jedi454 posted...
chicken8or posted...
I have a gaming PC. It was extremely expensive, comparatively, but it's future proof for at least another 7-10 years with minimal upgrades.

I'm saying that these consoles just didn't quite deliver what they should have. Not just in the graphics capabilities either.

I'm 100% I love with my One and play it as much as I possibly can. I just don't see it lasting another 8.5 years. I also see a lot of money getting dumped into VR or whatever else is next. They haven't even utilized the kinect, but now there is something new on the horizon?

I'm optimistic, but worried. I don't regret my purchase at all, I just see this generation ending quicker than the last. I might be wrong though. With development costs going up continuously we might just hit our plateau with gaming this generation.

If you actually think that, then you would be lying to yourself and the PC community. PC gaming is much more expensive and impractical to a lot of people.

With minimal upgrades my computer will still be kicking out top end performance in 7 years. Minimal upgrades, not 0.

It isn't practical for the normal gamer to drop top dollar for a gaming rig, but the 360 and PS3 were actually decent machines when they came out. They gave PC gamers much more competition compared to the One and PS4.

I prefer console gaming, but I can't help but to worry about longevity here.

You're right about that, if I can get a solid 6-7 years out of my consoles though, then I am happy.
---
Get Good Kid.
#14sry_POSPosted 4/12/2014 5:25:50 PM
inb4 DX12 XBone turbo power.
---
|Intel i5 3570K|HIS Radeon HD 7950|16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM|Intel BOXDQ77MK MB|XFX Core 550W PSU|
XBL/PSN/Steam: corruptor5150
#15Garage_ManPosted 4/12/2014 5:32:38 PM
Jedi454 posted...
chicken8or posted...
I have a gaming PC. It was extremely expensive, comparatively, but it's future proof for at least another 7-10 years with minimal upgrades.

I'm saying that these consoles just didn't quite deliver what they should have. Not just in the graphics capabilities either.

I'm 100% I love with my One and play it as much as I possibly can. I just don't see it lasting another 8.5 years. I also see a lot of money getting dumped into VR or whatever else is next. They haven't even utilized the kinect, but now there is something new on the horizon?

I'm optimistic, but worried. I don't regret my purchase at all, I just see this generation ending quicker than the last. I might be wrong though. With development costs going up continuously we might just hit our plateau with gaming this generation.

If you actually think that, then you would be lying to yourself and the PC community. PC gaming is much more expensive and impractical to a lot of people.

You are kidding yourself. Right now we have 100 dollar GPUs comparable and sometime beating the PS4/x1. You could buy a 780TI and be good for the entire generation at 1440P. 1440P is 2X 1080P btw.

In 1-2 years time it will be even worse, imagine something like the 780Ti power being at a 300 dollar price level. The times are changing. My old computer is FIVE years old..FIVE. I built the cheap piece of trash for 1500. I get whatever game I want, 1080P AA and generally have above 40FPS with most clocking at a solid 60. PC gaming has changed though, now it isn't about getting 60FPS, it is about the LOWEST frame being 60FPS.

My point is that consoles are SO BAD right now that cheap laptops will be better in no time. That said I still own consoles because convenience > graphics.
#16Jedi454Posted 4/12/2014 5:47:47 PM
Garage_Man posted...
Jedi454 posted...
chicken8or posted...

You are kidding yourself. Right now we have 100 dollar GPUs comparable and sometime beating the PS4/x1. You could buy a 780TI and be good for the entire generation at 1440P. 1440P is 2X 1080P btw.

In 1-2 years time it will be even worse, imagine something like the 780Ti power being at a 300 dollar price level. The times are changing. My old computer is FIVE years old..FIVE. I built the cheap piece of trash for 1500. I get whatever game I want, 1080P AA and generally have above 40FPS with most clocking at a solid 60. PC gaming has changed though, now it isn't about getting 60FPS, it is about the LOWEST frame being 60FPS.

My point is that consoles are SO BAD right now that cheap laptops will be better in no time. That said I still own consoles because convenience > graphics.

ITT: American prices apply to the rest of the world.
---
Get Good Kid.
#17lightfighterPosted 4/12/2014 6:06:57 PM
I hope they get 10 years out of it...
#18crucialPosted 4/17/2014 2:57:51 PM
Will start to hear about new consoles in about 7 years and in 9 years it will be released if there even is a next gen,hobby is getting more and more pricey yet peoples incomes are shrinking and the cost to make a big selling blockbuster is not worth it to most devs and pubs,DLCs,micro transactions,paying full price for beta games that get complete over time,ports,to much indie crap,yearly rehashes,I think the industry is going to collapse along with are economy and both will happen around the same time in the near future.
#19nickr2d2Posted 4/17/2014 3:00:56 PM
I estimate 5+ years.
---
"You're using the wrong words to express your still incorrect thoughts" -Foxx3k
#20richboy900Posted 4/17/2014 3:10:36 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...
hopefully 9-10 years

Lol I doubt it.

I reckon the next gen will be announced/released in 2019, but this (current) gen supported beyond 2020.

Don't forget, as of right now, both these systems are by no means powerful. Nothing like the powerhouse of consoles before them like the Xbox or the 360.