Why MS is forcing the Kinect on the XB1

#31aheroafakePosted 4/14/2014 6:21:09 AM(edited)
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
Geist posted...
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
Gotta love how the xbots always say nothing is being forced on you.
Yeah cause its so easy to walk into a store and buy a new XB1 without the Kinect....M I RIGHT GUYZ???

So is said store forcing you to buy an Xbox One?

No but when i try to pay a lower price because i want the Kinectless version im greeted by the lovely fact their is no kinectless version and i am FORCED to buy it with Kinect if i want. YAY FOR ANTI CONSUMER PRACTICES!

I didn't really want Kinect either but I bought the console because I wanted the games. After using Kinect, I'll admit that the voice recognition and motion-sensing capabilities are growing on me, but Kinect still isn't worth the extra $100. Kinect shouldn't have been the only way voice recognition could be used considering that there are games on the original Xbox that had voice recognition capabilities by using an Xbox Live headset.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#32XtremeWRATH360Posted 4/14/2014 6:23:58 AM
Geist posted...
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
No

Then there you go.

Typical Xbot
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#33RagnarokxvPosted 4/14/2014 6:31:59 AM
It is because Microsoft wants to dictate how you use their product. They want to give the user as little control as possible as that is the easiest way to maintain a business model and predict how the future will pan out. Unfortunately this means you must follow a list of stringent usage rules and the imposition of features, processes and protocol that you may not want.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#34Xeeh_BitzPosted 4/14/2014 6:35:58 AM
aszsith posted...
Purchase of luxury goods =/= forced
Purchase of luxury goods == optional

Unless you are required by someone/thing which has sovereign power over you to purchase an XBOne, nothing is being forced on you.

Rather, you simply desire part of the package which is offered. Understandable, but as there is no alternative, you can choose to either take it as it comes, or decide you don't desire it enough. But there is no force involved in the purchase of luxury goods.

Topic is forcing the Kinect on the XB1

Want XB1, forced to get the Kinect. No other option = Forced Kinect
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#35GeistPosted 4/14/2014 6:52:13 AM
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
Geist posted...
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
No

Then there you go.

Typical Xbot

No simple logic, you say it's forced, it has proven not to be.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#36XtremeWRATH360Posted 4/14/2014 7:15:00 AM
Geist posted...
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
Geist posted...
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
No

Then there you go.

Typical Xbot

No simple logic, you say it's forced, it has proven not to be.

So i ask again where can i buy an XB1 new without the Kinect being forced as part of the package?
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#37jumbrocatPosted 4/14/2014 7:16:50 AM
It's pure sophistry to argue that your are not forced to buy the Kinect only because you aren't compelled to buy an XB1 at all. If you want to buy a new Xbox there is no option to buy one without it.

Let's put it like this. Say the new Toyota Camry comes with an extra-baggage trailer. You don't have the option to exclude the trailer from your purchase. It has some synergy with the car (who wouldn't like extra baggage space?) but it doesn't add anything to the core function of the vehicle which is to get from Point A to Point B. This in itself is not a problem, but the Camry Trailer combo costs $25,000 when its closest competitor (which, for the point of the argument is broadly identical) only costs $20,000. To some people, this may still represent value - they might need the storage, they might have an affinity for Toyota regardless, or they just want all the bells and whistles. However, there may be people who just want transport and the fact that they are paying extra for a superfluous feature may be enough to turn them off the product. There might even be Toyota fans who would want the car at a cheaper price sans trailer. But these people are essentially excluded because Toyota do not want to offer an "incomplete" vehicle.

I understand that Microsoft don't want to offer a Kinectless XB1 because it doesn't fit in with how they've marketed the console - both to consumers and developers. But when the vast majority of money-makers in the 3rd-party developed games market are cross-platform titles there is little incentive to make Kinect features an integral part of any product. This makes life harder for Microsoft because all the big-time titles will not help promote and grow the Kinect brand and consumer experience in any way. The obvious answer here is to produce a slew of must-have Kinect games but none of them seem to have come. Compounding this is the fact that the Kinect is deliberately a different technical experience to the Wii/WiiU which eliminates cross-platform development synergy for 3rd-parties.

So you've got a product that there is no excitement for which presents no commercial advantage or opportunity to developers. And consumers are being asked to pay a premium for it.
#38TheEntitledOnePosted 4/14/2014 7:35:43 AM
Kinect is so good its criminal. Voice recognition wipes the floor with Google's technology. Amazing detection of even the slightest movement. The future is now!
*sarcasm*
---
I got your number! I got all your numbers!
#39Remi0327Posted 4/14/2014 7:51:33 AM
Without Kinect, how could I shout "Xbox, go home" when my friend is playing Titanfall?
---
My waifu thinks I'm the waifu. Love letters received from Raz, my waifu: 9 - never change, waifu. Never change.
3DS FC: 0834-1209-0204
#40RaRitsujunPosted 4/14/2014 7:52:26 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]