Why MS is forcing the Kinect on the XB1

#61aheroafakePosted 4/14/2014 9:24:19 PM
JRDeBo posted...
aheroafake posted...
JRDeBo posted...
aheroafake posted...
violentdissmay posted...
Maybe they want the extra profit (as if there are any) to recoup their losses from the RRoD fiasco?

Microsoft would have had a better chance at that if they wouldn't have bothered with Kinect, the all-in-one media experience, and just focused on making a video game console. Oh, and not rushing the Xbox 360 into stores just to be the first seventh generation console on the market.

Considering it was Sony who started the whole all in one thing by making their console a DVD player (which included a highly faulty drive) and then again by making their next console a Blu-Ray player (which was just a much forced on to you as the kinect is now) which upped the cost of the system significantly, you can't blame MS for copying Sony by making an all in one.

As for the first to release, they really had no option, if they tried to release at the same time or later then Sony they probably would already be out of the console market, Sony's hold on the market was just that strong. MS took a gamble and it paid off in spades whether you like it or not.

The DVD/Blu-ray thing holds no relevance in this discussion. You may think it does but it really doesn't. PS2 and PS3 using DVD/Blu-ray as the storage medium for both consoles actually held some importance in the consoles. The new disc drives were gonna happen sooner or later and the benefits were obvious. Kinect isn't really something that should've been included considering it doesn't significantly bring something important to the table unlike DVD/Blu-ray. There is a big difference to what the new storage mediums made obvious and it was evident right away. Kinect isn't something that has brought immediate advantages.

The only thing Blu-ray added was pushing a new media type onto the consumers. You could have gotten the same storage by using more DVDs (as shown by the 360) and lost nothing. Sony used the PS3 to push Blu-ray player sales instead of waiting for it to be cost effective (this gen) and gouged their loyal fans. If they went with the less expensive DVD player Sony probably would have trounced MS last gen. What the Kinect/Eye does (full body motion sensing) can't be replicated, it doesn't matter if YOU like what it does, it could add new gameplay experiences (likely won't) that you couldn't get without them. Which means adding the Kinect is more gamer friendly then adding the Blu-ray drive into the PS3.

Adding Blu-ray to the PS3 was the smart thing to do, same with DVD. Sure it would've saved money just to wait but Blu-ray was more benificial than you give it credit for. If Kinect really is more beneficial for gamers, why didn't Sony pack Move or the Eye camera in with the PS4? Adding the Blu-ray drive into the PS3 was genuis. It was a cheaper alternative than the standalone Blu-ray players by $300. It probably even converted some of the people that bought the PS3 just for Blu-ray player into gamers. I fail to see why you can't look at Kinect in the same manner that you are with the Blu-ray drive in your post. Sure the Kinect/Move/Eye Toy can do stuff that can't be replicated but that's besides the point. If Move/Eye Toy was included with all PS4 consoles, I'm sure the console would be getting the same amount of "hate" that Xbox One is.

With that said, I know we aren't going to see eye-to-eye on this subject so I am calling it quits now. I really don't feel like continuing this debate. I respect your view on this and I do understand where you're coming from but again, I still disagree, and so I'll just leave it at that.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#62aheroafakePosted 4/14/2014 9:27:07 PM
crosby655321 posted...
So the people that bought an xbox one but didn't plug in the kinect don't actually want the xbox one they just bought?

Of course they want the Xbox One, just not the peripheral that is packed-in with every console. I fail to see the Kinect as part of the Xbox One because the Kinect isn't required to even operate the console. But that's my perspective on it.
---
#63crosby655321Posted 4/14/2014 9:33:46 PM
aheroafake posted...
crosby655321 posted...
So the people that bought an xbox one but didn't plug in the kinect don't actually want the xbox one they just bought?

Of course they want the Xbox One, just not the peripheral that is packed-in with every console. I fail to see the Kinect as part of the Xbox One because the Kinect isn't required to even operate the console. But that's my perspective on it.

I agree.
#64XtremeWRATH360Posted 4/14/2014 9:48:47 PM
aszsith posted...
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
aszsith posted...
So you don't want an XBOne then. You want something different, let's call it an XBOneLight. You want a part of the package. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist.

Let's use a different analogy. I want a salad from a salad bar. However, said salad bar contains those gross little baby ears of corn that taste like feet. Because I don't want that item which is included in the price of the salad bar, but I'm not required to eat it, I think they should remove it from the bar and offer me a discount because I don't want them.

This is the argument you're using.

That would be a fine argument if the Kinect didn't inflate the price so much. If the system itself was $399 and not $499 that would be fine because it's not extra money out of my pocket for something i don't want. Just like that salad doesn't bring in such an inflated price with add ons. Its the fact i HAVE to have the Kinect and i HAVE to spend a lot more on the system because im FORCED to have the Kinect whether i want it or not.

You ASSUME what the cost of the Kinect is, but as it is not available as a stand along product, you cannot assign a designated retail price to it.

Regardless, you haven't proven that you are forced to have the Kinect. You have argued that you don't want the Kinect and you conclude that it should not be included with the XBOne. Which is fine. You are allowed to have that viewpoint. However, that opinion does not magically make your desires into reality.

As is, you stated you would be fine if the price was $100 lower. Therefore, the Kinect isn't the issue. Your perception that you are paying extra for Kinect is the issue, and I suspect that no matter what price the package is at, you would baulk at it if the Kinect were to be included. Therefore, my initial assessment is upheld: You do not want the XBOne. You want a different product that as yet has not been (and potentially never will) be released.

Once again i ask if i haven't proven that Kinect is forced on you please TELL ME WHAT STORE I CAN GO TO AND BUY THE XB1 NEW WITHOUT THE KINECT.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#65aszsithPosted 4/14/2014 10:07:16 PM
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
Once again i ask if i haven't proven that Kinect is forced on you please TELL ME WHAT STORE I CAN GO TO AND BUY THE XB1 NEW WITHOUT THE KINECT.

Are you asking what store you can go to and make a CHOICE to purchase an available product? Many. What stores can you go to and make the CHOICE you DESIRE? None. Because what you desire doesn't exist. You aren't, however FORCED to buy anything. You are ALLOWED to not purchase anything.

See, if this were a situation where you were FORCED to purchase Kinect, some governing body would come to you and use FORCE to make you purchase one. However, that is not occurring. You simply want to paint a corporation in a bad light because you don't want to spend $100 more than you think you should have to.

It is okay to not want to spend the extra $100. But call a spade a spade and admit that you aren't in any way FORCED to buy Kinect. You have the OPTION to buy it or not. You just don't have the option to buy an XBOne without one. That isn't the same as being forced.

It is possible this is a misunderstanding based on your misconception of the definition of force.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/force
The meaning of the word, as you are using it, is incorrect in reference to purchasing power in an open market.

You are simply DENYING YOURSELF the option of purchasing an XBOne because you don't want the product as it is available on the open market.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#66Shinobi120Posted 4/14/2014 10:09:27 PM
Kinect 2.0 wasn't being exactly made for gaming. It's designed to make money off of your data & watching you, etc.
#67XtremeWRATH360Posted 4/14/2014 10:12:45 PM(edited)
If I cannot purchase the system without spending the extra for Kinect it's because it's forced plain and simple. It would be like me going to buy a computer and having to spend 100 more because I have to get a printer with it regardless if I need one or not. The day I can walk into a store buy a Kinectless sku is the day I will agree it's not being forced till that time comes I see no reason to think otherwise.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#68aheroafakePosted 4/14/2014 10:14:03 PM
crosby655321 posted...
aheroafake posted...
crosby655321 posted...

I agree.

It's good to know that I'm not the only that feels this way.
---
#69aszsithPosted 4/14/2014 10:37:39 PM
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
If I cannot purchase the system without spending the extra for Kinect it's because it's forced plain and simple. It would be like me going to buy a computer and having to spend 100 more because I have to get a printer with it regardless if I need one or not. The day I can walk into a store buy a Kinectless sku is the day I will agree it's not being forced till that time comes I see no reason to think otherwise.

Your lack of willingness to admit that force is the wrong word illustrates your lack of reason. Therefore it comes as no surprise that you feel as though there is no need to alter your thought process. This does not in any way change the fact that you are using the word force incorrectly though.

Regardless, you won't change your mind on this no matter how many definitions you are provided. Instead, you should just be thankful because you live in a place where you can whine about the "extra" $100 you don't want to spend on the luxury toy which you are willing to spend $400 to purchase. You could live somewhere where the actual threat of force is a real danger to be faced daily. Most of the people in the world aren't as fortunate you.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#70Shinobi120Posted 4/14/2014 10:51:44 PM
Laylow12 posted...
Google "Nuads" and you'll see how they're making money off of KINECT being in your living room. It's pretty disgusting behavior: asking people to give up their privacy for a corporation to make money off of their data.

Source:
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-readies-nuads-they-watch-you-watching-them/

MRL3G3ND posted...
Microsoft has an advertisement initiative called NuAds

A revolutionary way to get biological feedback from whoever watches your add

It will make them Billions

The problem is they don't have one reason what-so-ever why anyone would go to the store and plop down $100 for it.

If no one buys it, then NuAds is useless..who wants to advertise to the 1000 people who bought it?

So you FORCE it on everyone...now Kinect 2.0 is in 3 million+ homes...

Now MS can pitch this to advertisers and tell them their ads will reach 3million homes...

which is why they said the xbox would not work without Kinect initially...they were scared everyone would buy an xbox 1, and put Kinect in the garbage or trade it in.

This is one of the very reasons why I refuse to purchase an Xbox One. Microsoft talking down to gamers is another.