Any games you feel are ahead of their time or just on the wrong console?

#1parkourboybryanPosted 4/14/2014 8:06:24 AM
What games that have been released do you think were either ahead of their time or just weren't made for the best possible console? And when I say best possible console, I don't mean because the graphics weren't as good, so don't use that.

-Resident Evil Outbreak/File #2: These games came out at a time when console online gaming was still in infancy, so the online was plagued with lag and glitchiness. Despite that, they were still massive fun, and if released in today's seemingly "Online Dependent" World with better netcode and improved loading times, they could be some of the best games of the generation. 4-player cooperative survival horror games with dozens of alternate endings and hours of content? Sign me up.

-Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness: This game flopped, horribly. There were glitches galore, bad gameplay, and it seemed to lack the polish that the other Core TR games had. This was later evidenced by the fact that Core was supposedly given massive time restraints and had to cut a majority out of their game that would've improved it greatly. However, this ended up being commonplace with the next TR games, as Legend, Underworld and Anniversary all had ridiculous deadlines that prevented the designers from making them the best they could be, although they were still great games.

-Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D: Not to take away a fun game from the 3DS, but the developers were obviously suffering from console restraints, as they'd originally intended to include all previous characters and stages from RE4/5 Mercenaries. If this game was made for PS360, they may have been able to do that, and the game would've had better longevity as a result.

-Resident Evil: Revelations: Another great 3DS game, but it would've been better as a default console game. Outside of the episodic structure, everything about the game could've been improved by the enhanced abilities offered by home consoles. When this was Remastered and released on home consoles, it got better reviews than RE6 across the board. It showed Capcom what the fans wanted. If a port of a 3DS game with probably <10% of the exorbitant budget that RE6 had got better critical and fan acceptance as a whole, imagine how well received it would've been if a game in that style was given that sort of budget and resources to work with.

Those are mine, do you have any games that you feel were released in the wrong time period or for the wrong consoles (for reasons Outside of just not liking the console)?
---
Anxiously awaiting the next Mirror's Edge.
Waiting for the day Capcom makes a true Survival Horror Resident Evil game again.
#2parkourboybryan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 8:17:53 AM
I've got more with REmake and RE0. I know the GC was the most powerful console at the time, but if Capcom had released these two on the PS2 with its much higher install base, the resulting higher sales may have prevented RE from becoming the shadow of its former self that it is today.
---
Waiting for the day Capcom makes a true Survival Horror Resident Evil game again.
#3NCPwnPosted 4/14/2014 8:19:39 AM
quest 64
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#4-FryShakeWad-Posted 4/14/2014 8:26:31 AM
Pong
#5MrSpaM111Posted 4/14/2014 8:29:15 AM
Ultima Underworld was massively ahead of its time, probably the best example I can think of.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#6da_StoOgePosted 4/14/2014 8:33:33 AM
I think Blinx, Okami and Kameo could have all done better if released on a Nintendo console and given some support.

But I still can't figure out why the hell Okami never sold on any platform, so who the hell knows?

And The Wonderful 101 might have sold better on the PS3/360. Looks like a kids game, plays like Bayonetta. I don't know, I guess it's a tough sell.
---
Being modded without reason since 2035.
#7richboy900Posted 4/14/2014 9:04:51 AM(edited)
Far cry (pc), just the setting and visuals. The physics were pretty radical for the time also.
#8Joey-ZazaPosted 4/14/2014 8:54:25 AM
Skies of Arcadia

-Had this game been released on the PS2 like it was supposed to, it would have done much better than it did since the dreamcast had a poor install base. We'd likely see a sequel by now, or a remastered edition. It also didn't help things when they re-released it on the gamecube only.
---
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower I
#9parkourboybryan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 9:11:00 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Skies of Arcadia

-Had this game been released on the PS2 like it was supposed to, it would have done much better than it did since the dreamcast had a poor install base. We'd likely see a sequel by now, or a remastered edition. It also didn't help things when they re-released it on the gamecube only.

You'd think they'd learn their lesson and release it on a console with a better install base.
---
#10aszsithPosted 4/14/2014 9:32:51 AM
There are plenty of games that come out on one console or another that I desired to be released on the ones I own. For example, after I didn't turn on my Wii for like 4 years I wish Nintendo games would be released on Microsoft or Sony consoles.

In terms of games ahead of their time, perhaps some of the early online games (like RE: Outbreak) may have been. More often though, I think games are released too late, not too early.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.