why is the xbone selling less than half what the ps4 is selling?

#1sabrestormPosted 4/18/2014 12:14:05 PM
is it the processor? if so why doesn't ms put in a new more powerful processor? the only other reason I can think of is its $100 more expensive. but I think the main reason is it's less powerful. what else could it be? I cant figure out why such a huge difference in sales. anyone else?

Each month this year, Sony has sold nearly a million PS4s while Microsoft has barely shipped 400,000 Xbox Ones to retail.

MS has a problem with the Xbox One in its war with the PS4 and it had better solve it soon or else it risks having a much smaller installed base, perhaps half the size by the holiday shopping season in 2014.

PS4 is not only outselling Xbox One, it seems to be outselling it by more and more as time passes. Microsoft will have to decide soon whether to do something about that or risk also-ran status.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/04/18/if-this-keeps-up-microsoft-has-a-sony-problem/
#2EnclavePosted 4/18/2014 12:16:05 PM
It's not selling less than half.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#33HPPosted 4/18/2014 12:17:17 PM
Enclave posted...

Would you have preferred "barely over half"?
#4Jedi454Posted 4/18/2014 12:17:21 PM
Enclave posted...

---
Get Good Kid.
#5JoeSkeletorPosted 4/18/2014 12:18:10 PM
Its selling less because they made the same mistake sony did with ps3 pricing well that and the word is out its not the greatest set of hardware.
---
PS4: Irskeletor / XB1: JoeSkeletor / WiiU: Deadskelton
#6kyncaniPosted 4/18/2014 12:22:17 PM
The Xbox One is selling a half as much as the PS4, a little more.

It is falling rapidly though. Both consoles were neck to neck not too long ago.
#7sabrestorm(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2014 12:22:44 PM
Enclave posted...

at the time of this artickle:

"Sony has sold nearly a million PS4s while Microsoft has barely shipped 400,000 Xbox Ones to retail."

400,000 is less than half

Its expected to be half by the end of 2014, what is ms doing wrong?

"perhaps half the size by the holiday shopping season in 2014."
#8EnclavePosted 4/18/2014 12:28:24 PM
3HP posted...
Enclave posted...

Would you have preferred "barely over half"?

In the countries they're both released in while the PS4 has a not insignificant sales lead? It's not bordering on 2:1. Once the Xbone releases in all the same countries as the PS4 I wouldn't be surprised if after a few months the sales gap between the two consoles hovers around 4 million world wide. Sony will have sold in the neighbourhood of 11 million consoles at that time.

So yeah, I don't expect 2:1, but a still significant gap. Unless of course Microsoft has a truly magical E3,the greatest E3 in the history of E3 and Sony fumbles harder than when Microsoft had Kanye West as their E3 star attraction.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#9PS4alwaysPosted 4/18/2014 12:31:03 PM
Why?

Well I can only speak personally but the ONLY reason I didn't buy one was the mandatory Kinect. I do not want one and I will not be forced to buy one.

So.. I moved to the PS4, which sits happily next to my beloved Xbox 360.
#10AtomicMenacePosted 4/18/2014 12:32:43 PM
I think the most interesting aspect is how though the Xbox One might currently be slightly behind in terms of hardware units sold - it's slightly ahead in terms of software sales. With this we can conclude one of three things:

1.) The PS4 consumer base lacks the funds necessary to commit to their system of choice through the purchase and retainment of titles. (The cheaper price of the console as opposed to the Xbox One's higher price tag can easily become a verification of this.)

2.) The PS4 currently lacks a number of quality titles that consumers find worth purchasing. (The fact that consumers are saving $100 on the purchase of the console only to turn around and NOT put said $100 back into the system can verify this.)

3.) Both 1 & 2.

With the more likely story being #2, I would say that the fact the Xbox One is selling more software has to do with the counter-parts of each of the above statements. The Xbox One consumer base doesn't mind spending money and there also exists a larger variety of high quality titles to even play on the system.

Fans of both systems (I myself have launch editions of each, including a Wii U) should find it in their best interest to support their systems in any way possible if you want to prolong your company of choice's success into the future. As of now Nintendo is finding it difficult to catch and hold consumer attention, while Sony continues to patch their financial wounds by altering/firing team members that bring you the titles you supposedly love. Microsoft is fighting to justify the kinect with new consumers - but let's face it, it's never been an argument for or against the kinect. It's all about the extra $100. If the Xbox One was $399 with the kinect there would be no whining.

I propose those who wish to support all systems get a job, learn to save, and buy whatever it is you want. It is pointless doing nothing but arguing on a forum over a system you do not even have - just shows the people with common sense that you desperately want one. Honestly, who talks about something that they have no interest or stake in? The answer - no one.