Article: Sony Will Win Sales War Because Kinect Is A Failure

#21Def2k1Posted 4/18/2014 9:04:09 PM
I don't have an X1 but I'm truly interested if there's really any reason they can't release the console without it or is it just them forcing it on people? Like what features does the Kinect control for the console that makes it seemingly impossible for them to release a Kinect free sku?
---
It's the Internet! The place where it's cool to hate anything popular and loving a bunch of obscure crap makes people think they're great. Gotta love it.
#22PrinceMedionPosted 4/18/2014 9:04:17 PM
The idea of making the X1 come with kinect wasn't a bad one but the way that they have implemented it was done very poorly. Making the system 100$ more then its competition (completely due to the kinect coming with the system) with not as strong hardware wasn't a smart move to begin with. Then they launched it without a kinect game worth playing and here we are almost 6 months in and still no title worth playing on Kinect and nothing announced that seems to be changing that in the next year. Developers are ignoring it and players are generally pretty meh about it or genuinely frustrated with it.

Despite the mildly interesting features it brings its largely a failure. It's clear its far to expensive to develop which only hurts the X1 in general, its inaccurate and frustrating much more often then it ever should be, and there still isn't a damn game that has actually used the original on 360 or the new one to make a genuine must have experience.

Motion controls got big with the Wii and what helped that was that it had its killer app right at the launch and it came with the system, Wii Sports. It may not be a lot of 'gamers' favorite games but for the audience it was trying to draw in, it was perfect. Kinect does not have that, the closest thing it had on the 360 to that was Dance Central and it came out in a time where the market was completely over saturated by dancing games on the Wii and the 360.

In the end I think the problem itself is just the price, it clearly costs far to much to make (at least 100$ if not more) and because Microsoft refuses to unbundle it they are directly hurting their own sales. Giving people an option isn't a bad thing, despite what they may have thought about getting developers to make games for it if they packaged it, that clearly isn't happening and the only reason they are still holding onto it being included is that they (like the original plan for the X1 with the DRM and crap) don't want to admit they made a mistake. To this day Microsoft goes out of their way to say the 'message was wrong' or 'it was ahead of its time' rather then admitting that they actually screwed up and made something no one really wanted any part of. They've even blamed games for 'not being ready for it' instead of admitting they misread the market.

Kinect itself is a fine device but it should be optional and the thing that is holding it back as well as the X1 entirely is unfortunately Microsoft itself, with its refusal to admit they made mistakes.
---
3DS FC 0731-4747-6981 PM me if you add me.
#23badmanneilPosted 4/18/2014 9:08:55 PM
you should of wrote FACT at the end of your topic
#24aheroafakePosted 4/18/2014 9:11:45 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
If you genuinely did not mean "most", aheroafake, then I apologize for misunderstanding you, and thank you for clarifying that. I can accept some people aren't interested in/appreciate bundling Kinect.

I genuinely did not mean "most" in my post. I accept your apology, you're welcome for my clarification, and thank you for owning up to your mistake, unlike most people on this site. Honestly, I initially didn't care for Kinect when I found out it would be a mandatory peripheral with Xbox One. While Kinect has grown on me, mainly because of the advantages and flexibility of voice commands (even though voice commands aren't a Kinect exclusive ability and could've just been implemented with any type of headset which Microsoft should've allowed) I still don't find it to be worth the extra $100 I paid for the console. I hope to start seeing more of the Kinect's potential realized soon.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#25pearl arowanaPosted 4/18/2014 9:19:31 PM
Def2k1 posted...
I don't have an X1 but I'm truly interested if there's really any reason they can't release the console without it or is it just them forcing it on people? Like what features does the Kinect control for the console that makes it seemingly impossible for them to release a Kinect free sku?

The spycamdeal is done. After a year or 2 maybe they gonna release kinectless console.
---
OMG that the best cringed ever!!
ROFL
#26scoobydoobydontPosted 4/18/2014 9:44:47 PM
aheroafake posted...
I hope to start seeing more of the Kinect's potential realized soon.

I want to see a WRPG or Adventure game where you speak the lines and there is no character voice that repeats them the next moment (ME3). I want it to react to me and my expressions. I'm playing GTAVI and my character is in a club watching a comedian? I want the comedian to react to me smiling or laughing or heckling. So much that MS and other companies could be doing to enhance stuff but don't. I want to see IRL noises break your stealth in stealth and horror games. Imagine Scissor Man in Clocktower 4, you cough to loud while hiding and its game over. Ugh... as much as I love Kinect, I hate how underutilized it is. Shenmue 3... imagine the number of tasks in Shenmue that easily translate to simple gestures...

*suddenly depressed*
---
http://i.imgur.com/ep3FK5Z.png
#27aheroafakePosted 4/18/2014 9:49:32 PM
aheroafake posted...

I want to see a WRPG or Adventure game where you speak the lines and there is no character voice that repeats them the next moment (ME3). I want it to react to me and my expressions. I'm playing GTAVI and my character is in a club watching a comedian? I want the comedian to react to me smiling or laughing or heckling. So much that MS and other companies could be doing to enhance stuff but don't. I want to see IRL noises break your stealth in stealth and horror games. Imagine Scissor Man in Clocktower 4, you cough to loud while hiding and its game over. Ugh... as much as I love Kinect, I hate how underutilized it is. Shenmue 3... imagine the number of tasks in Shenmue that easily translate to simple gestures...

*suddenly depressed*

I completely agree! I think any of those features you mentioned would give Xbox One a much needed boost. Here's hoping that game developers visit this site.
---
#28chex81Posted 4/18/2014 10:02:17 PM
While kinect has helped sell more ps4's sadly, MS still has a chance to pull off a big win at e3. Hopefully they're learning e3 must deliver big to draw in the crowds, sony is killing it and MS must acknowledge big things are needed soon.
---
XB1/WiiU: chex81
soundcloud.com/purple_i
#29DarthUchiha91Posted 4/18/2014 10:07:57 PM
aheroafake posted...
aheroafake posted...

*suddenly depressed*

I completely agree! I think any of those features you mentioned would give Xbox One a much needed boost. Here's hoping that game developers visit this site.

O_O
---
" I don't see the difference between 1080p and 792p"- Ray Charles
#30aheroafakePosted 4/18/2014 10:10:36 PM
DarthUchiha91 posted...
aheroafake posted...
aheroafake posted...

*suddenly depressed*

O_O

Yes, I know it was a stretch but I think all the trolling would be the main focus of their attention.
---