Article: Sony Will Win Sales War Because Kinect Is A Failure

#31TenzhiPosted 4/18/2014 9:52:36 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
I want to see a WRPG or Adventure game where you speak the lines and there is no character voice that repeats them the next moment (ME3). I want it to react to me and my expressions. I'm playing GTAVI and my character is in a club watching a comedian? I want the comedian to react to me smiling or laughing or heckling. So much that MS and other companies could be doing to enhance stuff but don't. I want to see IRL noises break your stealth in stealth and horror games. Imagine Scissor Man in Clocktower 4, you cough to loud while hiding and its game over.

Mostly horrible 4th-wall-and-immersion-breaking ideas. If someone calls or your pizza arrives or Mr. Pufflenips starts running about and meowing it shouldn't break stealth in the game because these are not things occurring in the game environment. And even if the stars aligned and Cthulhu willed the device to 100% read facial expressions properly regardless of lighting, beards, multiple people in a room, smoke, etc. it would be ridiculous to expect a player to be a consummate actor to succeed at playing a game. I am *not* my character. Making me portray my character's emotional states and try to play off of the artificial emotions of characters on a flat screen would have the opposite of the intended effect of "immersion".
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#32orestes1981Posted 4/18/2014 10:29:14 PM
A more expensive, less powerful console is supposed to match sales with the PS4?
---
Cappin' thine enemy is not exactly something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#33VanderZooPosted 4/18/2014 11:42:25 PM
aheroafake posted...
InterzoneMantra posted...
what's crazy is that the sony camera is selling really good. This could be mumbo jumbo, but is it true that Ms have some kind of contract were they have to include kinnect with the console?

They have a contract about what they can or can't release with their own console?

If they made a deal with the NSA to provide them info based on 100% of the Xbox user base having Kinect, then they'll have to stick with it.
#34Bellum_SacrumPosted 4/19/2014 12:02:59 AM
InterzoneMantra posted...
what's crazy is that the sony camera is selling really good. This could be mumbo jumbo, but is it true that Ms have some kind of contract were they have to include kinnect with the console?

It is. Microsoft's Xbox division have contracts with their advertising partners which is an important source of income for them (if not the most important), and some of those could have been signed back before the Xbox 180 compromise (well the NFL one definitely was). Do not forget how much Microsoft tried to defend their "advertising experience", back then. Also, regarding the NSA matter, Microsoft probably had no choice, being an American company and all.

Without the Kinect those deals and contracts go down the drain, which probably means that Microsoft will have to reimburse their partners for violating these contracts, if they already haven't.

In all honesty, consumers are lucky there even is an "off" option for the Kinect. Sony literally forced Microsoft's hand in this matter. One of the few occasions where competition has actually benefited consumers directly.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#35fan360Posted 4/19/2014 12:15:04 AM
This is another "a large company paid a billion dollars for a 2 man website" example.

Now this company has to "invest" two billion dollars to recoup the first billion loss.
#36TheGam3925Posted 4/19/2014 12:26:51 AM
Tenzhi posted...
I want to see a WRPG or Adventure game where you speak the lines and there is no character voice that repeats them the next moment (ME3). I want it to react to me and my expressions. I'm playing GTAVI and my character is in a club watching a comedian? I want the comedian to react to me smiling or laughing or heckling. So much that MS and other companies could be doing to enhance stuff but don't. I want to see IRL noises break your stealth in stealth and horror games. Imagine Scissor Man in Clocktower 4, you cough to loud while hiding and its game over.

Mostly horrible 4th-wall-and-immersion-breaking ideas. If someone calls or your pizza arrives or Mr. Pufflenips starts running about and meowing it shouldn't break stealth in the game because these are not things occurring in the game environment. And even if the stars aligned and Cthulhu willed the device to 100% read facial expressions properly regardless of lighting, beards, multiple people in a room, smoke, etc. it would be ridiculous to expect a player to be a consummate actor to succeed at playing a game. I am *not* my character. Making me portray my character's emotional states and try to play off of the artificial emotions of characters on a flat screen would have the opposite of the intended effect of "immersion".

Mr. Pufflenips again hahah!
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#37FinzFan4lifePosted 4/19/2014 1:52:22 AM
Tenzhi posted...

See that is only your opinion I think they are great ideas and actually immerse how else do you get immersed,

The game getting effected in a stealth horror game by a ringing cell phone could be good esspially if the kinect could detect where sound was coming from.

Throw something so it makes the sound come from behind the kinect would make the bad guy go search in the direction it came from incordanation with game

In response to having to act like an actor you don't have to act
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#38HyzinBurgPosted 4/19/2014 2:09:23 AM
Scoobydoobydont-think properly. Do your research on Kinect, not many gamers give a damn about it.

I'll get you started.

http://www.google.com
---
The Xbox One board: Where people with different opinions are Sony Fanboys.
#39TenzhiPosted 4/19/2014 2:51:03 AM
FinzFan4life posted...
See that is only your opinion

Some of it is fact. Sounds from outside the game environment affecting said game environment, for instance, is factually breaking the fourth wall.

The game getting effected in a stealth horror game by a ringing cell phone could be good esspially if the kinect could detect where sound was coming from.

Don't buy this game if you live near a busy street, or an airport, or noisy neighbours, or have kids, or pets, or beans for lunch because sounds that don't exist in the game environment will magically alert enemies in the game environment and cause you to die. Yes, it is definitely my opinion that evidently bad ideas are bad.

In response to having to act like an actor you don't have to act

You would to have NPCs in the game reacting to your facial expressions and such as if they were your character's. Or did you miss that part of the ill-conceived proposal?
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#40spacejamjordanzPosted 4/19/2014 8:33:14 AM
The Kinect will be the Xbox One's "Achilles' Heel", and it will stay that way unless Microsoft decides to release a SKU without one. Some liked to call Sony desperate for taking their camera out of the box to undercut Microsoft, but guess what? I am starting to believe that it's one of the best decisions they made. By unbundling their camera, they also freed themselves of the burden of justifying it. Sony is basically saying "You can buy camera if you want, but don't expect too much from it". Ironically the camera is still selling like hotcakes which helps them too, but since it's not mandatory, there is no real burden to justify their camera the way Microsoft has to. They don't really have to divert resources from other things to do so either.

Think about it. How much do you actually expect third party studios, that develop for multiple platforms and make up roughly 75-80% of the library to utilize Kinect more than it already is? Xbox One will account for less than half of next-gen userbase. So where the the incentive for third party studios to deliver more than the basic "tacked-on" camera features that we already see? Even Titanfall, the Xbox One's alleged system seller doesn't use the Kinect at all. That speaks volumes.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138